Darksiders 3: Hell hath no Fury

Indeed!

Yeah it looks good, but I still have Darksiders 2 to play! :p

From all the ho-hum screenshots released so far, it seems this one is missing the over-the-top and colourful comic-book of Joe Madureira.

This must be out.

71 on Open Critic. Not a strong start for jump-starting my interest at “fair”.

I loved the first Darksiders, but for some reason I can’t honestly recall, never got into the second. Something about it lacked the charm of the first game, maybe? I just didn’t really have a lot of fun and sort of wandered off it after a few hours. I had hopped this one would pull me back, but skimming the reviews I’ll probably just end up skipping this one.

For those that love this gameplay, it will probably scratch that itch well as not too many reviews are outright hostile or negative, thankfully. Though a few are, like that one from Game Rant. Yikes. Most of the 7-9 sites gave it a 7 or 8.

I’m playing Darksiders 2 now for the first time. It’s very cheaply made, aside from the casual but solid combat mechanics and the voice acting.

I’m not sure what to make of 3 from the videos. At some points it looks like a budget title, and it sounds like the combat was simplified further.

I’ve always found the series very charming, but I actively dislike the design of the character in 3 which has put me off the game strongly.

Fury’s design is the biggest thing holding me back from trying Darksiders 3. She wouldn’t be out of place in a late 90s graphic card advert.

No wonder she looks so awesome to me.

What these aggregation sites need is a review distribution chart. OpenCritic almost does this, by showing… something? But it’s identical for each game*, so it’s hardly very useful. Having a wide spread would help to show whether it divides opinion, a narrow spread would show more consensus, outliers would be obvious.

• Perhaps it’s a distribution of every review on the site so the game in question can be compared against others, but I still don’t think that’s very useful given the wide range of different genres and tastes.

What do you mean with this? Darksiders 2 looks like a top-notch game that cost quite a bit.

if anything the design looks LESS outrageously 90s-Joe-Madureira like the first two did.

Simplistic, ugly UI, sparse environments, control issues like the camera known about but never bothered to be fixed. The combat and dialogue scenes look pretty good, just not enough to shake the feeling.

I personally dislike some of the large-handed, Warcraft-style art design. That’s a completely separate issue.

So, I’ve really enjoyed the previous games, as they scratched a Legacy of Kain-like itch for me. I wasn’t planning on getting Darksiders 3 immediately, but decided to dive in anyway to give me something action-y to play when I didn’t have the time for Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey (which is more work now than anything!).

And I’m really having a lot of fun with Darksiders 3. A lot of fun. I’d go so far as to say that at this point (having just defeated the third boss), it’s perhaps my favourite in the series? I realize this had a smaller budget, but it’s led to a very tightly-designed little game that on occasion is still able to wow with some of the level design (the gigantic tree was impressive), and the overall quality of the art and graphics holds its own with the previous games. The bosses look great and imaginative, and most of the regular enemies all look good, too (especially the sort of spider-like creatures that wander around like robed monks when not on the attack). And as a Kain fan, this one’s reminding me a lot of Soul Reaver (corridors, enclosed spaces, emphasis on fighting bosses and gaining special abilities, etc.).

Lots of people have compared the combat to Dark Souls, but I don’t think that’s completely fair? I mean, I can see why people would say this (the flames, the souls, the shortcuts), but like the previous games, this one borrows a bunch of concepts/ideas and then sort of does its own thing with them. The fighting here is like a somewhat more punishing system compared to what the previous games had, but not egregiously so. I usually give up after a few hours with Souls-like games, but this one I’ve every intention to play all the way through.

The combat is also broken up with sections where you have to solve puzzles, and I think those are fun. They’re never frustratingly obtuse nor a complete pushover either – for me, they provide fun obstacles along the way. I don’t lament the removal of the loot one bit (it’s mostly busywork for me anyway), and I like the Metroid-like new abilities (colour-coded and everything!) that the “Lord of Hollows” bestows upon you. I also haven’t experienced any of the bugs, stutters, lag, or other issues that others have reported (I’ve got the GOG version – perhaps it’s more stable somehow?).

So to sum up my experiences with Darksiders III so far: the story, voice acting, character designs, and art are all up to par with the previous games, while offering a more stripped down, more focused experience, with an emphasis on combat and puzzle-solving. Traversal options are limited: no more Prince of Persia-style climbing around, and your horse meets an unfortunate fate early on, but you do gain all sorts of neat new special abilities (“hollows”) that will help you overcome obstacles and reach new areas of the game.

A Darksiders experience in a more distilled form, if you will. I’m loving it so far.

Thanks for the write up @JoshoB , I will keep it on the wishlist.

So, defeated another boss. The more I play, the more this seems like a modern successor to Soul Reaver: great, Gothic atmosphere, puzzles, bosses, quick yet satisfying combat. About halfway through, I think, and this is definitely among my favourite games of the year so far.

Some screen shots featuring mostly stuff seen halfway through...

10 hours in, boss #6. Some pretty good writing in this, too.

People who complain it’s all just “corridors” haven’t played much beyond the opening sections. There’s a beautiful underwater section in here. There are secrets to find. As regards influences: I just unlocked the ability to turn myself into a magnetic ball to reach previously impossible areas. And having that hollow applied also means you sink rather than float in water…

More screen shots for those who are interested...

Ha! That last screenshots. I wish boring cars lasted forever. Alas they do not. False advertising! :)