Darkwood - top-down, oldschool survival horror w/ RPG and Roguelike elements

Saw this on Steam Greenlight and thought it looked fantastic. Pushes all my buttons in a good way.

http://www.darkwoodgame.com

Darkwood is a top-down, oldschool survival horror set in a procedurally generated, open world. It features RPG and Roguelike elements, with intense combat and dense atmosphere. It’s developed by 3 people, who like to call themselves ACID WIZARD, and is currently in pre-alpha stage.

Darkwood:

• Is a hardcore experience with no hand holding. It’s gonna be hard, and you WILL die. In fact, death is permanent. No saves, no checkpoints.
  • Features a big, open world filled with random encounters and carefully hand-crafted locations.
  • Has a night and day cycle. Explore the mysterious forest at day, return to your home before night. Prepare your defences and fend off waves of enemies!
  • Lets you craft tons of items and build traps. Connect them together for some vicious combos!
  • Implements a electricity system for your home base. You need gasoline for you generator to keep the lights on at night. Defending yourself without any lighting is suicide, so you better keep an eye on the gasoline level!
  • Forces you to fight for survival, and pray to live another day

Pre-alpha game trailer (posted in March)

The video shows the second part of gameplay, in which the player has to defend his home. Things that will help you survive the night include:
Barricades

These range from simple metallic nets that do not obscur vision, but provide little defence to massive metal plates, which are hard to destroy but also impossible to see through. Apart from requiring certain materials, building a type of barricade requires specific tools, like a hammer or saw.
Power management

If you wish to survive through the night, you will have to provide enough gasoline for your generator, which powers all your electrical devices: lights and traps. The more devices like these you have active at the same time, the more gasoline gets drained. Don’t let your generator get thirsty, or you’ll have to risk going out in the dark…

They just kicked off an Indigogo campaign (like Kickstarter – the dev is based in Poland) here.

Really hope they manage to pull this off.

Doesn’t Indy gogo let developers walk away with whatever folks have donated regardless of reaching goals? Anyways looks interesting - if enough survivor rpg roguelike stuff happens some of them have to be good right?

also was the generator talking to the player?

Don’t know about the keeping money part, but Indiegogo does turn over the money to them as soon soon the campaign hits the goal, vs. a two-week delay with Kickstarter.

And yes, the generator was talking. :D I want this game to be out!

Indiegogo supports two funding styles: flexible funding, which allows them to keep any money that’s pledged, and fixed funding, which is largely identical to Kickstarter’s business model. Darkwood’s campaign is fixed funding.

Hey there, I’m one of the devs of Darkwood. We have our own forums over here: http://forums.acidwizardstudio.com, but I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have about Darkwood. Or life in general.

@malkav11 Yup, that’s spot on.

New pre-alpha trailer is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjnDKBLZbc. More action in this one. Still looking good.

That looks pretty intense. I wonder what the hell happened in this world?

All electricity vanished!

Hmmm looking very good.

Ohhhh, this looks awesome, thanks for letting us know about it!

Interesting, appreciate the head’s up.

Backed it, looks great. Good luck with the project.

Vibe reminds me of Lone Survivor, which is a good thing.

The one thing that throws me for a loop is the whole concept of top-down survival horror. It’s weird having a visual representation of all that you can’t see, because part of what makes blind spots scary is being unaware of them. Still, looks good.

Looks kinda neat, not sure I want to register on yet another pay-site for funding it though.

That short 5 year wait… And its released!

Tom will be streaming this on Wednesday! 8/23/17.

OK so I want to know more about this, but I don’t want to watch videos of people playing it. What is the crafting survival part actually made up of - is it basic nailing up boards like State of Decay or more complex building chain stuff?

This is incredibly generous of the developers. I don’t recall it being done by any developer previously.

Hi! This torrent was brought to you by the developers of Darkwood - Acid Wizard Studio.

This is the latest version of Darkwood at the time of writing this (1.0 hotfix 3). Completely DRM-free. There’s no catch, no added pirate hats for characters or anything like that.

We have just one request: if you like Darkwood and want us to continue making games, consider buying it in the future, maybe on a sale, through Steam, GOG or Humble Store. But please, please, don’t buy it through any key reselling site. By doing that, you’re just feeding the cancer that is leeching off this industry.

This torrent comes with no installer, so you can just run it from the mounted image, but we recommend copying the contents to your disk and running it from there.

For more info on our story and why we decided to share this with you, check out: http://imgur.com/a/xVhDz

Have fun!
The Acid Wizards

That is super awesome of them.

Has anyone tried this? It looks really interesting.