Darwinia: Survival of the Fringest

It’s entirely possible Introversion will finally get an American publisher. But I have long ago ceased believing they will finally get the game to cooperate with my soundblaster PCI soundcard. :x

Yeah, it’s interesting what’s happened to flight sims. They used to be all the rage back in the pre-3D days. I remember playing lots of flight games like Falcon, JetFighter 2, Aces over the Pacific, and being excited about the major releases (which had 5 discs! And a manual so think it needed ringed binding!). Nowadays, flight sims are as dead as King’s Quest, but there are still some pretty hardcore driving sims on the console, such as GT4 and Forza. I’m not sure why flight sims have flown away but driving sims endure, but that probably deserves its own thread.

I think you may have misunderstood my point, or I didn’t express it correctly. My point was about single out of EXPRESSION, not about a SINGLE PRODUCT, as you put it. You are right that feature films have several different points of revenue generation and videogames do not. But my point was that there are several different TYPES of videogames that all have at least one point of viable revenue. I can try to make a go as small cell phone developer, or try to get into handhelds, or try to make flash games for the web, or try to do digitially distributed strategy games on the PC, or maybe with enough cash and people make a PC or console game.

Film, by contrast, has several different revenue streams typically for only feature-length live action movies, with the occaisional big-budgeted cartoon feature thrown in. How many of those many revenue streams support animated shorts? Or short documentaries? Or long-form documentaries? You can make a go of doing several different types of games and be successful, but in film the vast, vast majority of the money is in a single type of film: live-action, feature-length. Those multiple revenue streams really only support one type of product.[/quote]

Ah, you are correct there. With the possible exception of Netflix helping some niche genres like documentaries to get distribution.

Anyone who says this has “bad graphics” is blind. True, people’s opinions on wether or not the game actually looks good may vary, but Darwinia is evidence that you dont need gigabytes of texture memory to convey complex but clear and gameplay-serving visuals.

The fact that they packed the whole thing into 40Mbs is in and of itself practically enough to make me want to buy it. Says quite a lot about the game designers priorities. It could easily fit on a cartridge

Yeah, Darwinia is gorgeous. It’s a classic example of how much art direction matters. Give me Darwinia over, say, Doom 3 any day.

-Tom

Good news for those who wanted more public exposure for Darwinia. It’s going to be distributed via Steam!

Yeah, yeah, frak Steam and all that.

As for me, I played the demo and didn’t really get all that into the game, but it’s a sign that indie games still have someplace to get some decent distribution, no?

At Valve’s request we will also be removing the demo from our site for about a month.

Aroo?

So, buy, or buy not. There is no demo?

This is some interesting new age marketing. Ganking a demo to increase sales? I need the demo to facilitate (that’s my $5 word for the day) a sale.

The demo-removal thing is a little odd.

Still, you can grab the demo from basically any site that hosts them. I’ve rigorously checked every such site by statistical polling methods (namely, I looked to see if it was on gamespot, and it was, ergo, it’s on one hundred percent of all sites that host demo files).

Thanks man, I will go hunt it down then.

Here in fact, is where I got it from.

I was rather surprised at its removal myself.

After reading the review from Tom I checked this game out. Really glad I did, just watching the opening sequences in their entirety gives you a taste for the creativity involved with the project. After the first level I was pretty confused about the gameplay and if it would hold my interest, but I consistently came back to it and near the end was very “involved” with the story - which is saying a lot, considering how abstract the game is.

Good for them getting more exposure via Steam. I’m not so sure they fit together very well, but if it results in a sale rather than someone copying it for free I suppose it is justified. It’s certainly infinitely superior to that other joke they released, RDKF. So that brings third party Steam products up to a handful? I think it’s hilarious that the first few non-Valve titles were completely unrelated to FPS: Flash sidescroller (codename gordon) RDKF, and now Darwinia.

Why? Give the competition a channel to sell games that go head to head with your own. Don’t think so.

Must say I’m amazed they pick up such small titles. Shows a lot of promise if the can make a profit on them. Maybe a new chance for the small developers to reach a great audience.

It’s great that Darwinia finally got a real outlet in the States. It’s a fantastic game, and one of the only games in recent times where I’ve actually been interested in what was happening in it, as opposed to just passing some time and moving on.

Kudos to the guys at Introversion Software.

yeah grats to them getting more presence in the US. Loved Uplink, and once I got some more funds I’ll probably pick up darwinia.

Valve is going to sell Darwinia over Steam.

You can buy the boxed copy from Gogamer.

Its $20 more for the boxed copy…

This game is banal crap. I know it’s going to take a little growing and learning for people to realize that, so I’m just going to call ‘firsties’ on it here.

The boxed version on the site is 29.99 (was orignally 39.99, indie savings are great huh?), and I guess the steam version will be cheaper.

I played the demo and a little of the full game, both of them made it feel like a game that had no lose state and was less difficult than your average flash game, I don’t know if I’m wrong or right on this, but I really had no desire to continue with the mess.

Not really related to Darwinia, but does a game really need a “lose state” in order to be difficult? I would argue that any game that has a save/reload system doesn’t really have a lose state either. Both systems have the same property, that if you screw up, it’ll take you a little longer to progress. A save/reload system is just different in that you’ll be replaying the same portion again.

IMHO Darwinia’s system is a huge step forward, not backward. I wish more games would just scrap the old and tired timewarp system of save/reload and adapt a real game mechanic for comebacks.

I didn’t mind Darwinia’s approach either. The game had its issues, but I didn’t consider the ‘no defeat’ element one of them. $20 seems like a fine price. $40, in my opinion, was a bit too much for what it offers. Interface problems aside, I had fun playing the (10?) levels, but after I was done there wasn’t a lot left to motivate me to play it again.

-Julian