Data Hoarding?

I needed an email from 2002 this week.

Took me about 5 minutes to find :)

And on searching my computer for file dates…wait, why do I have a load of MP3’s with a date of 2027? Heh.

You asked for a psychological perspective, so I’ll give you my take:

Hoarding is a serious problem for some people, and it currently falls under the same category of mental illness as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It’s my understanding that it’s actually one of the most resistant-to-treatment forms of OCD. The main impetus behind the hoarding is a desire to minimize anxiety, whether it comes from the thought that you might need something you’re hoarding one day, or because simply having the items around provides some degree of anxiety relief, or because the thought of discarding an item is too anxiety-provoking to follow-up.

Hoarding as a standalone disorder is not yet in the official diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association (the infamous DSM), but it has been proposed for DSM-V and is one of the new disorders widely considered to be a shoe-in for inclusion. The diagnostic category as currently proposed specifically states that the items have to clutter the “active living areas” (unless others are intervening to clean and prevent the clutter from accumulating), so digital hoarding would not qualify.

But we can apply all the usual rules of a DSM diagnostic criteria to help answer your question about whether or not digital hoarding is as serious as the regular kind:

1. Does it cause significant impairment in your day-to-day living, social relationships, or occupational/scholastic pursuit? Include in this question problems with finances or the law.
  2. Is it distressing to you?

If the answer to those is no, then you’re most probably fine. Keep on filling up those hard drives! :D

Heh, the answers are no, so yay! Thanks!

If it’s a cryptic label, chances are it’s pr0n.

I understand where you are coming from. Being a pack rat is a bitch. Congrats on getting over the physical side of things. The cost of data pack ratting is low and getting lower. If you segregate your data so you can find the stuff you really need, the cost is relatively small. Don’t worry about it.

On the plus side I just found some interesting wink/wink/nudge/nudge files I had accumlated from the 90s on an old computer I had in a corner. Cough, cough. Time to archive it in a pw protected file.

Keep a copy of everything if you can cheaply move it from hard drive to hard drive. Don’t go blowing major wads of cash to archive things that can be trivially redownloaded (i.e. Steam/Impulse/etc downloads? I keep a single hard-drive backup, but no big loss if they vanished as they are very SIMPLE to rediscover, if bandwidth intensive).

I am missing years of e-mails and addresses due to storage/space cost from the 90s, as well as some really interesting early experimental web pages, versions of documents, etc… Versions of indie/roguelike/etc games, sound clips, photos, etc. are trivial storage space requirements, and it’ll be MUCH easier to find something in your personal cache than the entire internet in the future, if you want to find something…

I probably have around 80 dvd’s worth of backed up steam games, that I’ve never reinstalled, I just re-download them when I want to play a game.

:|