Date: 2015. DMCA convicted of serial software homicide!

[size=6]Read this.[/size]

Discuss.

And for those of you like me that break out the quill pen and write their politicians at every turn, start your engines.

Is it really worth it archiving old software like Lotus 1-2-3 ? It would be like my parents house - the older they get the more junk they collect and it just sits there gathering dust and no one ever looks at it. But at least it might be worth something to some archaelogist in 500 years time.

As for applications software ? No way. Unless of course the article is talking about the data files themselves.

Why not? We archive practically every book written in the LOC. Even the crappy ones. We need to be packrats, and it’s not like we’re hard up for hard drive space here. I’m not gonna even do serious math, but I have a hard time believing that every commercial program written between 1980 and 1995 wouldn’t fit on a 250 gigabyte drive.

I’d prefer not to lose the history of the software industry. 90 years from now when historians look back and want to show people the first spreadsheet that a computer ever used, I don’t want them to go “well it was called VisiCalc but all known copies of the disk decayed so we can only show you the packing material it came in.”

You may think it’s not a big deal - but there’s all kinds of stuff that’s lost to history because it wasn’t archived or written down.

Personally I’d just store the stuff anyway and not publicize it. I doubt they’re going to get a exemption from the DMCA.

So, the DMCA is going to stop them from copying old, OLD software that is on the verge of being lost forever and unsalable. As opposed to letting them copy it and losing ALL that money on stolen copies. Alrighty then.