Dave 'Yuuuuup' Hester sues "Storage Wars" - alleges much fakery

HK is still good, yeah, but way over scripted now. I really dislike how every challenge comes down to a tie … Oh man, 2 to 2! Tie breaker after the commercial break!!

Holy crap! I’m dumbfounded there is one “storage locker show”, but there are actually more - at least 4 you say? Amazing.

Relevant Key and Peele sketch.

Just so you’re aware, many of them aren’t “amateur”. (The college and HS ones are, obviously.) Many are professional groups that are just hoping to be the first Acapella group (well, second I guess) to actually “Make it big” despite being acapella.

Doesn’t mean it’s not fun to watch, though some of my favorite acapella groups have not fared well on that show. (I really enjoy Face, who apparently got booted off first in their season, and Sonos is awesome, but they do looping stuff which makes their sound different than what they can do on the show, so on the show they didn’t make it so far.)

Would this be #1?

Primarily amateur insofar as these guys don’t generally have recording contracts outside of small, acapella-focused indie labels. Some of them have certainly managed touring and one group was even the in-house act for a Branson, MI stage show joint, but you also get the impression (and its often stated) that most of these people have day jobs that finance the singing thing.

Most, of course :)

But hey, we got Pentatonix out of the show before it died, so there’s that!

Well, it would have to be the second (or lower) as the Nylons immediately come to mind.

First of all, just because someone makes an allegation and files a lawsuit doesn’t mean the allegation is true.

Second, let’s make a distinction between reality soap operas (Real Housewives of Hoboken, Extreme Makeover, etc.) that are probably scripted to one degree or another, and reality competitions (Survivor, Amazing Race, Top Chef) that probably aren’t, and are closer to game shows of old.

Although I do think the game shows are edited to create drama (making the race to the pit stop look closer than it is on TAR, the order in which Probst reads the votes every week, and so forth).

The food network shows (Chopped, Iron Chef) are especially guilty of this, in that during the “countdown” voice-over at the end of each competition, they clearly show footage from earlier in the competition when they’re doing something more dramatic.

The thing that pisses me off about the show is not that it is fake, but that it tries to legitimize a business that is fairly disturbing to me. Whenever there is a real “find” I can’t help to imagine that it is a family heirloom used to belong to someone’s grandfather who died, and before the family could go through his stuff and discover he rented a storage unit, it gets auctioned off to one of these clowns.

The “Heirloom Backstory” would be the better reality show – but, since the whole thing is fake to begin with, I’m sure they’d fake that, too. sigh

Storage lockers aren’t auctioned off until the renter has missed several payments and received a 30 day notice. It’s not like Gramps died on Monday and their auctioning his stuff off on Tuesday.

Now that Dave is off the show, he won;t get to bid on Lindsey Lohan’s locker:

I think the show is really glamorizing a business that is mostly trash removal. The person who ‘wins’ the auction has to clear out the locker.

Editing the action for dramatic effect is still substantially different from rigging things to force a predetermined outcome. I’ll take Chopped or Iron Chef where they may misrepresent the order things happened in any day over a show that misrepresents what’s actually happening.

This is the fakest thing about the show.

Brandi is super hot, and apparently married or something to Jared, who seemingly has zero redeeming qualities.

If the family had no idea there was storage, and was busy with all the other “death” things (like waiting for copies of a death certificate to take care of stuff), a few payments and 30 days could burn by really easily.

There is show named “Toy Collector” or something that is probably fake too, but the guy does nice job of paying people what their stuff is worth, instead of trying to screw them. I saw an episode where he paid the person more money than they asked because they toy was worth more. It was probably fake or he did it for the camera, but whatever, it at least made me feel better.

I believe Jared managed the “gentleman’s club” where Brandi used to “dance”.

Payments are made on a monthly basis. These lockers are all over 90 days. If gramps died three months ago and you’ve ignored bills and notices from a storage locker and are missing a rare family heirloom…well, if you’re unable to put that equation together, you’re probably getting hit by cars crossing streets and eating poison instead of the five major foodgroups anyway.

This show always makes me want to rent lockers so I can set up trap lockers full of re-sealed TV and appliance boxes that are actually empty.