David Brevik's new game - It Lurks Below

Yes. It’s great.

Fine, twist my arm.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I apparently missed this thread before, and didn’t have this on my radar.

New class! The paladin is now playable.

I take it you’re still enthusiastic about the game?

So this just came out of early access today. Looking forward to revisiting it.

Gah they removed controller support for V1.0. Baffling.

I think he was working some issues with it, so he temporarily disabled it for release. I think he is still working on it though.

Oh cool! I’ll play it again once it gets re-enabled. I struggle with mouse/keys in this game.

I think on stream the other day he said he was going to change it in the options to “coming soon” or something to that effect. I imagine things have been a little hectic this week though.

@Profanicus if they stream tonight I will see if I can get verification that he is still working on it.

Thanks, appreciate it. :)

I’m not convinced of the staying power of this one. It’s fun for a bit, but then you get towards end game and there’s really not a ton to do:

1. Slaughter stuff in hopes of getting an amazing weapon drop.

2. Slaughter stuff and explore in hopes of getting a great gem to slot.

3. Runewords

4. Farm gold to upgrade class ancient items/find additional generic ancient items to stack.

Ancient tiems have been reworked sevceral times now. Unfortunately the skill trees for class ancient items got dropped. I’m not sure if they’re ever going to come back. Anyway the class ones have max levels of 5 or 9 and they get super expensive to upgrade very quickly. The common items can upgrade to 10 but you upgrade those by finding more copies of the ancient item and literally stacking them.

There are unique items in the game but there aren’t very many unique armor pieces (and rings are entirely crafted), and I’m not sure they’re better than crafted gear (you might one with one high level unique as part of an armor setup but you’d never be running 4). so it’s mostly just wading through random drops that only cover one equipment slot and gem upgrades that slot into armor. I’m just not sure it’s enough to keep me engaged.

Brevik’s philosophy when it comes to certain things mechanically is not one I care for. He wants limited inventory space, he wants to make it impossible for you to horde up enough food for a life time. He wants inventory stack sizes low (you can upgrade most of them on the survival skill tree, but the final sizes aren;'t exactly huge) The existing of the energy mechanic in-game doesn’t offer anything IMO. It’s just an annoyance (especially now that you cannot chug energy potions as needed; eventually you must sleep to wipe away a debuff you get from energy potions).

There is a small corrupted area in the overworld. Eventually you’ll get invaded and you have to go murder the wave of monsters to stop it. This causes that corrupted area to spread. As of right now, I don’t think it’s possible to block the spread of the corruption while creating a nice arena for doing this. There is a special pickaxe you can get that can remove corruption. But why? It’s just busy work.

Maybe a stupid question, but are there games like this that aren’t randomly generated? I mean, more of a traditional RPG?

I don’t know of any off hand. They all have some survival/building elements, and are predicated on a proceduraly generated gamespace (whether that’s a world or galaxy + planets a la Starbound), because they lend themselves to being replayed with different characters and strategies.

I guess I just meant the retro side-scrolling graphics/exploration. LOL, I want a side-scrolling The Witcher!

Regions of Ruin is “sorta” like that: Regions Of Ruin on Steam

Salt & Sanctuary and Sundered (to name a couple)? There are non metroidvania (although S&S has dashes of that) side scrolling RPG games. I wouldn’t put them in the category of “Witcher like games” (they are a touch Soulsy). But S&S especially has a health dose of RPG stuff going on (and a very Souls like crafting system).

50% off at Steam, so $9.99, right now to celebrate a new content update.

Well it seems like there is a good bit here for the new content. that said, I’m not sure how welcome I find it. A game with severe storage space restrictions has added a non trivial amount of stuff to collect. UI still needs some work too (still can’t shift-click to do multi-id; it’s insane; there’s way too much swapping on the active stuff bar to get things accomplished in town; 6 slots is not enough).

The path to multiclassing looks interesting (you can eventually unlock class ancient items and put them in a shared stash and allow other characters to use them). But I’m having doubts about whether I will make it that far.

I haven’t played since some point in the beta, but I need to jump back in. I enjoyed it when I did play. I do remember inventory being a bit of a pain.