David Cronenberg is back with Crimes of the Future (2022)

David Cronenberg made a movie called Crimes of the Future in 1970. This is not a remake or a sequel to that film.

“I cannot say much, obviously, but if people thought “Crash” was divise back in 1996, this is going to create way more chaos and controversy for sure. The last twenty minutes are a very tough sit. I expect walk-outs, faintings and real panic attacks (I almost had one myself!) at the Lumière theatre. No hyperbole, I promise.”

Viggo Mortensen, Kristen Stewart, Scott Speedman, and Léa Seydoux.

Yup. That’s Cronenberg.

Never change, David:

But unlike “Crash,” this film doesn’t have any sex, right?

That’s right. It does have sex because surgery is the new sex. So I say it’s very sexual, but it’s not sexual in the way most people think of sex.

The soundtrack honks.

Have you seen his kid’s films? Same nonsense

So did anyone else actually watch this? I’m not sure if it was actually good, but boy was it ever a Cronenberg movie.

I liked it. It’s hard to say if it’s good or not, but it stuck with me and I look forward to rewatching it (maybe with some subtitles).

Well put! I think it was very well done, at least compared to the earlier movies it draws from. I didn’t care for Crimes of the Future, but I can say I’m glad to see Cronenberg applying the craft he’s learned from his later movies to the tone and substance of his earlier movies. If I liked his earlier movies more, this would have been a real treat!

It does reward a second viewing, and the subtitles definitely revealed things I’d missed the first time seeing it in the theater.

-Tom

I think I’d appreciate it much more on a second viewing if only for knowing when the ending is coming. I was caught off guard when the credits rolled.

haha you watched this (so did i haha)

I suspect that’s a common reaction. It was certainly mine. And to think that all those people who walked out during the child autopsy missed out on it!

-Tom