Rami Malek
Michael Shannon
Mike Myers
Andrea Riseborough
Taylor Swift
Chris Rock
John David Washington

I love Ana and Andres! ;)
While I tease, I was just noticing yesterday that Zoe Saldaña has an ñ in her name that I don’t remember being there previously. Am I wrong about that?

Cast like that could almost make me sit through another David O. Russell movie.

I saw an advance screening of Amsterdam this evening followed by Ben Stiller interviewing David O. Russell. Flirting With Disaster mini-reunion!

The film looked great and the cast was appealing but unfortunately this one didn’t click for me. He described it as an epic comedic thriller, part Jules and Jim, part Chinatown. I just wasn’t invested in the story or the various romances and it seemed overlong, wordy, and self-indulgent. The Coens would’ve done it better, and kind of already have with O Brother Where Art Thou.

But I felt the same way about American Hustle and a lot of people liked that one!

Loved American Hustle. I take style over substance any day in movies.

Don’t make me choose! Why-not-both.gif!

And by substance, I just mean an appealing story that can hold my attention.

But by act 3, Amsterdam does reveal that it has a lot of real-world substance or relevance to offer.

I liked this a lot! Didn’t know anything about the plot going in, which I’m grateful for. And I hope Christian Bale gets more comedic roles. He was really delightful here.

Did anyone else see this? The critical consensus seems very much at odds with my own experience, so I’m curious what others here might have thought.

Even though I didn’t much like Amsterdam, I generally root for D.O.R. and non-superhero movies to do well, so this is bummer news:

We saw this last weekend. I thought it was fun but ultimately kind of forgettable overall.

Yeah, I felt like I was forgetting it as I was watching. My mind kept wandering and I would just marvel at Margot Robbie’s beautiful face. Which is a fine way to spend a couple hours!

Agreed. She is SO beautiful it’s almost distracting. The core trio of characters is a lot fun. I really liked Christian Bale in this in particular.

brof from the past, you were so right. What a wonderful, fantastic movie that was. A total joy to watch with great music. I don’t know much about O’Russel other than his movies, but he always pushes my buttons the right way.

At some times, Amsterdam felt a little bit Wes-Anderson-like. I had this feeling in “See how they run”, too.

I did not expect this movie to be that political.

I was confused by the second police detective, Klutz or Hiltz or something. For a while I thought he was also played by Christian Bale. Anyone else noticed this?