Dawn of War Expansion

Me!

It’s a pity they’re not using the more interesting parts of the Guard, though; looks like they’re going with fairly standard, boring stuff from the screenshots.

In 40K, the Guard isn’t just a standard human army, it reflects the diversity of the thousands of worlds it’s recruited from. Tons of different uniforms, organizations, regimental organizations, fighting styles, special equipment. You have regular infantry armies, wholly mechanized regiments, conscript armies full of criminals thrown into suicidal human wave attacks, entirely airdropped regiments, xeno-cavalry regiments and primitive feral-world close-combat troops, to name some examples. You could do a lot of interesting stuff with it.

As long as they include regimental commissars being able to shoot their own troops for cowardice into the gameplay I’ll be happy.

I would have been more happy with the Tyranids though, IMO they have more potential for distinctive gameplay while the Guard’s main benefit is their potential for building a single-player story around them.

Maybe like the rally-command, but instead your sergeant shoots one of the soldiers in the squad. And then morale is restored :)