Day of Infamy

Coming from SGS on December 7, 2021, the eightieth anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

One of the more itriguing what ifs of World War II: What If the Japanese had invaded Oahu on December 7?

Harry Turtledove wrote a two novel treatment of this what if a decade and a half ago. I have a still in progress build of this game. Looks intriguing but I will have more time with it this weekend.

Here is a trailer for the game:

A look at gameplay:

My late father-in-law was a Navy combat veteran during World War II, enlisting at 17 with the permission of his parents. His wife, my mother-in-law, will be turning 90 this December. A personal connection to a historical event always reminds me of this Faulkner quote: “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.”

Well this one looks fascinating. Thanks for the heads up!

New teaser for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmILPqw1V5o

Game out today. Linked below are tutorial videos:

SGS Operation Hawaii - YouTube

This is intriguing, and the budget price makes it even more so, but:

the objective was to wreck as much damage and destruction to the military installations, so that the effects of the air strike would be comforted by the devastation laid on the US ground structures

I would like to offer my very reasonably-priced services to these folks as a native English proofreader.

big yikes

Good review at Weapons Release:

The review does make the game seem pretty good, for sure. I do wonder about the reviewer, though. Statements like “I was hesitant upon seeing the dreaded “Made with Unity” loading screen, but was relieved to see it has the polish of a professional product” don’t fill me with confidence. Unity is a superb game development platform, used by a hell of a lot of AA and even AAA publishers. It is hardly some low-end indie engine; that sort of talk is just revealing ignorance.

Eh, I for one find that a lot of Unity games absolutely destroy my laptop. Maybe it’s something developers could do that they don’t to make it run cooler, but I don’t think it’s wrong to be wary.

It’s not Unity per se, I’m pretty sure. It’s less than competent execution. I suspect a lot of self-taught developers go the Unity route initially and never actually break the bad habits they develop. But I guess in the end it doesn’t matter, if there is a strong correlation for you between the engine and performance on your machine. Me, I’ve never had an issue, but I don’t game on a laptop, either.

Yeah, I’m sure it’s something they are doing with the engine, or rather not doing, but there is definitely a correlation for me. Like, it’s always these 2D games that seem like they should run fine but just absolutely turn this thing into a reactor core.

Well, that comes with any powerful tool that allows people to do things they otherwise would be overwhelmed by, or not having near the resources to do. I’d rather the end results exist, even if we end up with teams who do have the resources to dig deeper but still don’t care about their costumers.

IMHO it’s not the use of Unity itself, but the failure to remove the loading screen that speaks to lower production values.

Possibly, though it’s unclear whether he means the loading screen you get when running builds locally during development or the splash screen that every game using Unity gives you, just like games give you the logos, etc. of all the other middleware they use.

True, and I didn’t read the review nor play the game. But IIRC there’s a loading screen you pay to get rid of, and not doing that (fairly or unfairly) biases me against your production values. (But I could have faulty memory on the specifics here.)

Fair enough!