Day of the Tentacle is coming back!

A new remastered version of the game is coming next year to Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita from Double Fine.

— Alan

edit: image links removed. Sigh

“Linking to Blue’s News images is forbidden”

I actually get that same error message, even if I try to view the images on the blue’s news website. So, somebody screwed up, but it wasn’t Alan.

Love for this game so big

That’s awesome! I love this game.

Such a great game, can’t wait to play it again.

Nice - I have the same love for this, as I did the Secret of the Monkey Island, and will surely purchase it at once. The thing is - I ended up never playing SofMI, as I am sure will happen with this one.

Purple Tentacle will rise again! Wow, can’t wait to see this on the PS4.

Fantastic!

Indeed, can’t wait to play this for the first time.

Same here. I couldn’t get into the Monkey Island remakes, but this one is by Tim Shafer, so I’m sure it will be frustrating but fantastic.

This looks like a much better way of doing a remaster than the Gabriel Knight disaster…

I had high hopes for Grim Fandango Remastered but the end result is just, well, not as sparkly new as I have hope. I wonder how much of a Remaster this will be?

All they need to do for this game is to add higher definition (which judging from the screen shot above they are doing), and move the actions to a radial thingy on right click.

I think the game is hard but had some if the best puzzles, especially those involving different times.

If this comes anywhere near the quality of the Monkey Island remakes (whose strength lay as much in the excellent voice acting as in the HD graphics) it should be a major event in the adventure game world.

Plus there’s no missing iMUSE to give us mixed feelings. (I think?)

This already looks a lot better to me than the Monkey Island remakes which I felt took a few too many liberties with Purcell’s original (and brilliant) artwork.

DotT is probably my favourite LucasArts adventure game even though I haven’t played it in… wow, has it really been 20 years? I remember the puzzles, or more specifically the solutions being fiendishly clever. I worry however, with me not enjoying Grim Fandango in recent years, whether returning to it would be a bad idea. Hell, even Machinarium rubbed me the wrong way in places because certain solutions were so contrived that you had no idea why you were doing what you were doing. I don’t remember The Dream Machine suffering from any of that, and I played it after Grim, and before Machinarium… (I’d highly recommend it btw)

Wasn’t iMUSe missing from the monkey remake? Won’t it be missing here as well?

Yep, it’s pretty different. They key is that MI2 used a “realistic” (for the time) art style, with very detailed pixel art. The new Special Edition used a more stylized art style. But in the DotT case, it’s was cartoony and stylized from the start, with strong colors and bold lines. In other words, perfect to make an easier to do and more faithful HD edition.

One of the very best adventure games ever. I’m really excited to play it again. I wonder if it will include a remastered version of Maniac Mansion?