Days Gone coming to PC

I did 4 to get the SMP.

Very enjoyable open-world zombie adventure but so story-centric that it became utterly cloying, and it eventually reached a point where I wanted to puke seeing any more of those tender, sentimental moments between the hero and his wife and Boozer makes three. The motorcycle riding mechanics were kick-ass; the post-game sequence (just a cut-scene basically) that many players missed if they stopped playing after the end credits rolled was BOSS (as my scouse friend likes to say). I’d squeal for a sequel.

I’m enjoying the motorcycle, and the writing is definitely better than most open world games, but I’m not really digging the combat as much as I hoped, and everything else feels like a slightly more basic version of things I’ve done a thousand times in other games. I’m so fucking sick of investigating blood stains in detective vision at this point.

The combat improves a lot as you upgrade your gear and abilities.

I liked that you could put some real thought into it and use alternate ways to kill the zombie baddies ie environmental traps to kill off far greater numbers of the hoarde than you could kill with weapons. Not many games ever used this as a central mechanic that I recall. Doing this, it was able to nicely distinguish itself from others of its ilk like Dying Light (DL is still the better game though).

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and am bummed there is little hope for a sequel, especially on PC. The combat does improve with gear and levels, and while the activities are a bit repetitive, they are generally enjoyable. Clearing hordes is freakin’ terrifying, especially at first or at night. The story is more interesting than the run of the mill zombie game I think. All in all, despite the admittedly cloying bits, one of the better and more interesting open world games out there.

I was too dumb to manage this and had to just run and gun them at the end of my game. Disappointed in myself :)

Steam sale has this for $30, but it also has Dying Light for $12. I’m an English Lit guy from my college career that started ~40 years ago so I always appreciate good storytelling (relatively speaking), so I’m leaning toward the $30 buy but I’m also open to suggestions.

My suggestion is that if you’re looking for good storytelling, Dying Light and Days Gone are not the games you’re looking for. They’ve both got some fantastic zombie killing, but they’ve also got embarrassingly bad writing all around, regardless of whether you spent $60, $30, or $12.

-Tom

I played both, enjoyed both, Dying Light is the better game. Neither game has great story.

Days Gone in particular is genuinely schmaltzy and definitely not worth it for the cliched and somewhat terrible storytelling but the world design itself, combat and fun motorcycle upgrades make it worthwhile but it’s the kind of game you only play once because of that rather bad story that gets crammed down your throat in many (at least skippable, thank god) cut scenes; but if you like combat puzzles, there’s a sort of huge side game where you can just concentrate on killing hordes; possibly procedurally generated, but maybe not since it relies on environmental “killing hoarde” puzzles.

Dying Light I like, but never finished, unlike Days Gone, which I did finish and also enjoyed. The combat and resources limits in DL are good at producing tension but also good at producing frustration, at least for me. I also get really anxious about darkness falling, which I know is part of the point of the game, but it doesn’t necessarily make me want to play it sometimes!

I just picked up Dying Light super expanded version and started a playthrough after an aborted attempted to play it when it first came out. Same result, I play for 10~ hours and get bored.

Days Gone I finished twice, once on PS5 and once on PC. The story goes all over the place, but in the end I appreciated it, asshole main character and all. It’s also super long with the beginning being the weakest part by far, especially with regards to the story.

Did you play long enough to unlock the grappling hook? I recall Dying Light being just being ok, then boom I get this tool and I can zip up to any high point, game’s fun factor for me took a huge positive leap.

No, thinking now I may make myself hold off on DL2 at least until I get the grappling hook in the original.

I found guns made it more enjoyable too from what I remember. I never loved the melee and was ready for it when having enough ammo and the grappling hook made melee much less frequent.

Oh hang on this is the Days Gone thread :) That was Dying Light.

So I finally fired this up after buying it a few months back. Played through the part where you clean out the first bandit camp after you rescue Boozer from the weird bald arm-burny guys. Could have sworn I saved my game after that, but lo, I come back and I’m dropping off Boozer after the thing I spoilered, and I’m guessing I have to go back and do the camp-clearing bit again.

What gives? Is this a known thing? I thought it was save anytime anywhere. From the menu it sure looks that way.

Quick save at your bike, press R.

Oh yeah. That was my MO for dealing with the hordes. Toss firebombs. Run back to bike. Hit R. Wash, rinse, repeat 'til zombies are more dead.

Yeah, that messed me up my first time as well. As people have said, you can save at your bike, or at any place you can lie down to sleep, that’s it. It’s not bad once you are aware.