Days Gone - Sony Bend's biker open world zombie game

Yeah that cover is both dumb and pretty nice.

I am somewhat looking forward to the game. Obviously I will be getting Metro on its launch day, but Days Gone will follow sometime after.

I’m so hyped for Metro, too! Q1 2019 is stacked. I need to start saving!

Like Infested Planet in closeup. No PC version I suppose?

It’s Sony 1st party so highly unlikely.

Haven’t followed this very much, it is looking far more intense than I think I’d like.

I’m surprised there isn’t more activity/hype for this yet, even my boss (who hasn’t gamed since the days of PS2 era Splinter Cell) is looking to pick this one up.

I’ve watched some videos/gameplay and I like what it looks like it’s taking from The Last of Us, which I really enjoyed the combat/crafting on the fly stuff there as well, but I don’t know if I like how much of a bullet sponge enemies are. Lots of moments where the player shoots a guy with a burst from a machine gun and it takes three or even four bursts to drop them. That seems kind of annoying to me.

Anyone else following this? Not that I am, I suppose, myself. I don’t really know what this is. Zombies, right? Post-World setting? I see reviews drop in 72 hours.

I am interested, it seems like the standard sony quality, but at the same time…yeah, it is zombies and open world, which just doesn’t scream “must have day 1”.
Also now with announcement of PS5 and its backwards compat, my enthusiasm to play on Pro has waned a bit, since I assume these games will be better on PS5 (they could patch them to 60fps, for example, which to me makes a game instantly 1000% more pleasant to play).

This is a fantastic point - I am super in on PS5 whenever it comes out (late 2020 is the speculation on Giant Bomb I heard) and this is for sure a game I can skip for now, but maybe have something to look forward to on PS5 if none of those launch titles do it for me.

The developer pedigree on this one isn’t exactly sterling. I guess if you loved Syphon Filter, maybe. They also did the Uncharted games on Vita.

Excitement low.

Who doesn’t love this running animation?
https://i.imgur.com/dMZl8AO.gif

Hey, now. That Uncharted game was good!

I’m excited for the game. I preordered the digital deluxe version. I’m only bummed they aren’t doing the enamel pins like they did for the same version of Spider-man and God of War.

I may be a bit of a homer, though, as I’m partly just excited about a team from Oregon getting to do a game based in a part of the state I vacationed in all through my childhood. Central Oregon is an amazing a diverse place that poses a lot of cool possibilities for a game.

From what I’ve been hearing among retail insiders, the game is preordering really high, so while it seems a lot of people on “gaming” forums have turned their noses up at the game, it’ll probably sell shockingly well like what happened with Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

That must mean that they are promoting the game in various ways that we’re not seeing here at Qt3 because we don’t have an advocate for the game sharing that stuff with the rest of us so that we’d get hyped.

You hear what I’m saying Brad? As the resident Days Gone fan here, you’re derelict in your duties.

Im pumped about the OR connection also. I went to a community college there 36 years ago, took Fortran, Basic, Pascal classes. Now after 36 years of no other computer classes my kid wants me to help him program a game. There goes my weekends. Central Oregon rules!

Looks nice, but I’m still on the fence about this one

Hearing about those framerate issues makes me just even more wanna wait for PS5 version. Game looks nice though.

I pre-ordered this. The reviews seem underwhelming but I am not expecting a story driven experience like The Last of Us. As long as the story doesn’t get in the way of the open world gameplay, I will be good. I’ll post some impressions this weekend.

It sounds like most of the framerate issues are related to transversal. Evidence mostly that Unreal Engine 4 is not that great for open world games.

I was just watching the Easy Allies review and they thought the story was really compelling. I’ll be playing in the next few days as well.

The Eurogamer review is pretty harsh:

Overlong. Disappointing characterisation. Repetitive.

Mind you, considering the quality of the open world titles on the PS4, the bar had been set pretty high to make an impression.