Days Gone - Sony Bend's biker open world zombie game

That must mean that they are promoting the game in various ways that we’re not seeing here at Qt3 because we don’t have an advocate for the game sharing that stuff with the rest of us so that we’d get hyped.

You hear what I’m saying Brad? As the resident Days Gone fan here, you’re derelict in your duties.

Im pumped about the OR connection also. I went to a community college there 36 years ago, took Fortran, Basic, Pascal classes. Now after 36 years of no other computer classes my kid wants me to help him program a game. There goes my weekends. Central Oregon rules!

Looks nice, but I’m still on the fence about this one

Hearing about those framerate issues makes me just even more wanna wait for PS5 version. Game looks nice though.

I pre-ordered this. The reviews seem underwhelming but I am not expecting a story driven experience like The Last of Us. As long as the story doesn’t get in the way of the open world gameplay, I will be good. I’ll post some impressions this weekend.

It sounds like most of the framerate issues are related to transversal. Evidence mostly that Unreal Engine 4 is not that great for open world games.

I was just watching the Easy Allies review and they thought the story was really compelling. I’ll be playing in the next few days as well.

The Eurogamer review is pretty harsh:

Overlong. Disappointing characterisation. Repetitive.

Mind you, considering the quality of the open world titles on the PS4, the bar had been set pretty high to make an impression.

Pretty sure Tom is gonna stream this on Friday, so I’ll make my mind up then. I still have a 8 game deep PS4 backlog so no rush. :)

Name them, maybe we can help you eliminate some ;)

Actually, I think there’s a thread for that…

Buying this because I buy everything.

Regret buying WWZ as I have not zombie killing friends but some open world zombie slaying seems like a good time.

I just played a little over three hours. I think it’s pretty, pretty good! The first hour was a bit choppy between all the load times and a couple framerate hitches from fast traversal, but once I was set loose in the open world everything smoothed out pretty well. The shooting, melee, stealth, crafting and driving all feel great. The environments are incredibly well detailed and look gorgeous. The enemies and wildlife feel nicely dynamic and interactive. I’m enjoying it

I don’t know lordkosc’s PS4 backlog, but here’s mine:

Ratchet & Clank (about 3/4 complete)
God of War 3 Remastered (about 1/4 complete?)
Bloodborne (main game 90% complete, DLC about 1/2 complete?)
Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete
The Last Guardian

And once I get through those, I’ll look to picking up Spider Man and God of War.

Glad to hear that things get better after the first hour. I finished the intro quest line and my impressions were a little mixed. I found the controls were a touch clunky and the bike a bit hard to control. But I generally suck with vehicles in game so I am not too worried about that. I am also playing with HDR on so I am not sure if that has anything do with my control response.

I like the initial story setup and the controls felt a bit better once I started getting used to things. I am looking forward to playing more of this tonight.

@Spect

No need to eliminate any. I want to play them all.

I played 2 or so hours…and am really enjoying it so far. Just wandering around you are constantly nervous about attracting the undead…once they spot you they come after you for a good amount of time…so you can run and hide and watch them wander around looking or smelling for you and that makes any ventures outside a bit more unpredictable, makes you worry more just wandering around than games like Far Cry.

I’m sure things will change later on but right now, so far, so good.

That Eurogamer review was a great read. I enjoyed reading about the game, even though it’s not a positive recommendation. After reading that, I think I would like to try the game. Sure, it repeats the core loop a lot, but if I end up enjoying that core loop, I might not mind repeating it endlessly and far too many times.

I’ve been watching a couple of folks stream the game on Twitch today, looks pretty fun to me. I mean, I’d play it.

Tom is still streaming this game right now. I am not saying it is great but…

The control scheme seems a bit rough to me but the mechanics work fairly well. Ranged or stealth combat is the way to go here. Melee combat is pretty scary. Stealth killing is quick and deadly but only seems to work when your enemy’s back is turned. No whistling to draw your enemies in here. Stealth may be a bit unforgiving but you can run and hide fairly easily.

The game does a great job of sucking you in during the moment to moment gameplay. Sounds of foliage moving in wind, the rain dropping, and the grunts ands screeches of the zombies (or whatever they are) are atmospheric as hell. I was so tense during one cat and mouse event that I actually got a charlie horse in my leg.

I really saw some amazing environments. I would have to ask: Some of those trees looked very good.