DC Universe Online: the modern age (it is now Free to play)

So it turns out you can swap from the PVE <-> PVP servers in the Hall of Doom / Watchtower. Just look for the ‘Phase Shifter’. It’s pretty awesome.

From what i can tell, the biggest problem with pets is the pet ai sucks. My gun turret (which helpfully hovers behind me) doesn’t start attacking enemies until i already have them half dead.

I also picked the wrong mentor i think. I picked the female goddess of magic (something like that) because her story sounded more interesting, but it seems kind of silly to have the quests so focused on (doing) magic when my character is pure tech).

Maybe i will start over as i am only level 4.

Acrobatics is TONS Of fun though. I like it way more than flying which is sort of boring. I want to try out super speed, but being a free account i can only have two chars… maybe i will spend $5 on something to get more char slots. Maybe i will just make a super speed character to test it out before remaking my gunner.

pictures:

You can’t really appreciate how short she is (small pixie body) in these pictures, lex luther is nearly twice as tall in the tutorial.

oh and i was skimming one of the recent patch notes while the server was done last night and they said something about fixing the queue issues. Who knows if they did, but i was able to get in just now.

I´ve done that a couple times with lvl 3 chars, and since the cap is 30, and getting levels is so easy, I don´t sweat it.

I upgraded to premium last night to have more char slots, mainly. Too bad premium can´t create leagues! anyone here on a legendary status?

Also, remember to write your hero / villain name and server guys.

Also a quick FYI, for those wondering what the various attributes do, you can view them by clicking on Stats in the inventory menu then clicking on the name to see what it affects. Turns out precision is important for doing basic attack damage.

The bat is not here, Gotham, but Juan Rayo is!

Plus, Bamboozler and fellow newbies taking on the Scarecrow for the Halloween event (ends on nov 07, no idea what it gives you).

And yes how can the CHAT system SUCK SO MUCH? it´s horrible, idiotic, stupid.

EDIT: and from the official forums. “We wanted to inform you that all game servers are currently up. The SOE-Status page is not updating correctly. We are working on this issue. Please continue to enjoy DC Universe Online”.

Before the game stopped letting me log on, I did the first alert in area 51. Things were pretty chaotic and I was trying to use my healing role, but it never seemed like I was doing anything useful with it.

One thing that is annoying is how so much of the game’s design is not revealed to the player until after they make their initial choices.

The pet ai is bad but the main problem is that the pets don’t scale with your stats, so while they might help a fresh level 30 somewhat they are pretty useless once you do hard alerts and raids or pvp.

Acro is fun in open world but not that good for pve and a huge disadvantage in pvp. Most people prefer flight, I just love super speed. My first toon was a sorc acro healer, the worst combination possible for pvp… I was the last on the battle field and had no effective way to escape under focus fire.

I stated up a character on the PS3. It’s a little odd to go to this game after spending so much time in Arkham City. The character creation is very involved, and when I was done it took me right into the action. However, when I tried to login today, I’ve got a 4000+ queue. It looks like a 10 minute wait time.

Another annoyance: once I fund the trenchcoat, I built the rest of my hero around it. Then, one of the first things I find and equip makes the trenchcoat disappear. I guess unlike City of Heroes (which I played ages ago), equipment can alter your appearance.

I’m playing on the PS3, this is the most fun I’ve had with an MMO in a while. Not sure how long the shine will last, but moving away from a stats/mouse click the icon driven style works wonders.

Feel free to add me; Beth Bathory on the villains’ side.

You can set your individual costume pieces (and lock them) in the Style tab. I have no idea how to get there on PS3. Every time you equip a piece of equipment, it permanently unlocks that style for you, and you can mix-and-match however you want.

You can lock any(or all) pieces of your equipment in the style menu. What you have equipped for stats is not what you are visibly wearing. Also, once you have found a piece of clothing in a given style, you are forever free to choose that style for that piece, even if you sell the piece. This is nice because you don’t have to keep extra costume equipment in your inventory just cause it looks cool.

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought there might be an option, but I hadn’t dogged around yet.

However, after waiting for the queue to finish, it hung on the loading screen. :(

Hey mate any tips on builds for pvp? I am very much still getting used to the game and how it works.

Also, post more pics guys :)

Edit: I´ve played but a little, but I really think pvp is the way to go. It forces you to be on your toes, check the minimap and consider your means of escape, or to attack someone. Anyone know how to look at the friend list? Lingot and Bamboozler are flabergasted over this.

I think it’s where you showed me last night, if you click on F3 or F4, it brings up the social menu where you can view the friends list.

Man, I was hoping there was another way, btw Mr. Grimm and I were going for some mischief tonight, and then of course the servers crashed.

If any of you guys can log in later (say, 3 hours or so) we can go hunt for heroes or do the scarecrow thing.

Hopefully if the servers are working, first shot the game wouldn’t launch from the launcher, and now I’m stting at an endless queue, earlier I got stuck at the loading screen.

I also just created a hero, CurveShot on PvP as well.

Worth every penny I paid for it.

Possible the server is just down, but…

Right now i seem to be stuck loading. i get through the small queue just fine and i am still loading as i type this like 5 minutes later. This also happened earlier today when i was recreating my guns villain. After creating the character, i had about 10 minutes B[/B] of loading screen.

I can’t believe this is an issue with my computer of my connection. my connection is experiencing no lag and my computer can easily run the game. This is also a problem i never experienced before today as before today my load times were very fast.

I will leave it loading minimized i guess while i check dcu forums. Given how the game has been down more nights than not, i am kind of siding towards that angle.

Another thing i experienced earlier was a 10 second “global cooldown” on my sticky bomb. Basically this ability generally has a VERY short cooldown, but earlier it would stay completely red for about 10 seconds and then it would start to recharge like normal. I assume this was lag, but i didn’t really feel like i was experiencing lag in game other than when i used an ability.

Hey, where do you get a trenchcoat? I’d like one.

Maybe they need to reopen the formerly closed servers?

You can select a trenchcoat at character creation. The only problem is you can’t customize the shirt worn under it which I didn’t care for.

I am kind of disappointed in the level of character customization in DCU personally. I felt like i could do a lot more in champions online.

Pictures:

Yes… my gun kata fighter looked a hell of a lot better in champions online…