DC's Infinite Crisis

I didn’t read any of the lead-in minis for Infinite Crisis, waiting for the TPB, but from what I can tell, issue #1 would serve as nothing but a quick and pointless recap to anyone who’s read them, and it’s completely meaningless and inaccessible to those of us who haven’t. Not exactly exciting stuff. At this point, House of M seems to have worked a lot better. Thoughts?

Kal-L

I haven’t read House of M, save for a few previews, but isn’t this to be expected? If you read the initial Countdown but nothing in between, then you’ve pretty much just skipped part of the story and expected four other miniseries to have a negligible effect on the tale as a whole.

That said, yeah, it’s a lot more inaccessible than House of M, although if you’ve read at least two of the lead-up series I think it wraps everything up rather well. Since DC’s dipping heavily into the COIE though, I can see why there’s not much point in making the story accessible to everyone. DC’s multiverse was nothing if overly complicated, and by this point, it’s been 20 years since we last saw it. Hell, the Freedom Fighters? Alexander Luthor? You mean the old one, or the new earth 2 one?

Oh, and I think this might be the fanboy speaking, but I have this nagging feeling that Marvel’s “alternate reality” is a lot easier to get into because it just won’t effect many of their characters and properties in the end. Then again, DC could just be producing another Zero Hour here so I may be wrong. I guess I have to hold off until the end of each to see which stands out and which fails terribly.

So far, I’ve been quite disappointed with the OMAC project, quite pleased with Villains United, and I enjoyed the first issue of Infinite Crisis. Jim Lee’s cover though is uninspiring.

I actually liked Lee’s cover better than the inside art. All the characters look 20 years older, and the way the women are drawn…no. Supergirl looks more like Supermom.

That said, I enjoyed it, but I can see coming into with no IC pre-info would make it pretty confusing. Hell, I pretty much know what’s going on, and I had to re-read and double check myself. I am looking forward to how it turns out. This weeks JLA was pretty good, too.

Wait what…you mean that

[color=white]
Kal-L was the one who blew up the JLA tower on the moon? That was always one possible explanation. But damn, if true…just damn. But why would he do that?
[/color]

I was hugely excited by Infinite Crisis when Countdown came out, coming off Identity Crisis (and fuck you DC for using the same initials so we can’t shorthand). I dug the first issue or two of each mini, and I liked that they were doing tie-ins that both felt useful but at the same time weren’t required reading to follow any one story.

I loved Sacrifice, and the aftermath has potential.

I’m disappointed in how they decided to not really end the minis and just funnel them all into the 7-part IC. OMAC had two goals: Provide a stage for Wonder Woman to kill Max Lord and to “reduce” the number of OMACs to a manageable amount. The latter is stupid, because after wiping out that big group at the end of OMAC, they basically say “Well, we won’t be able to trick them like that again”, then in IC what happens in Bludhaven but a massive gathering of OMACs. They seem like a poorly implemented riff on Sentinels. I’m not sure the Max thing is enough to carry a mini on it’s own, either, so bleh.

Villains was the best of the 4, IMO, but the end just confuses things. IC #1 shows a bunch of COIE “refugees” trapped (but not in a big hurry to escape) just watching life go on, and it takes massive effort for them to break out. But 2nd Luthor managed to arrive in the DCU from…? Some “refugees” had an easier time of getting back to the DCU than others?

Rann/Thanagar was just a big waste of time. They re-introduced a villain inside the series, killed him, and they could have done the whole thing in 2 issues establishing the war and the spacial anomoly that popped up late and the reconfiguration of the universe so that OA isn’t at the center anymore.

I DO like how the DC writers are acknowleding that they’ve pigeon holed the big names into single facets of themselves. It’s odd to see it handled in story, but if it works out okay, nifty.

I don’t get Batman’s problem with Wonder Woman killing Max. He wrote up how to kill all the JLA “just in case”, meaning he could imagine a situation in which killing is the only option. He has a kryptonite ring in case he ever needs to kill Superman (thankfully, he’s only ever needed it to weaken him for a bit!), even though Kryptonite is now like super easy to get. After all that, he refuses to acknowledge that there might have been a scenario in which Max Lord had to die. Max says the only way to stop him is to kill him, he has to think there’s no way Wonder Woman would actually kill him, even if he’s not lying. shrug

While we’re here, Batman can invent Brother Eye, and create the foundation for the OMACs, but he can’t develop a way to imprison the mindwiped villains such that they can’t communicate their secrets without mindwiping them again? Ok.

Questions (mostly because I’m not COIE savvy):

• Was one of the alternate earth Supermans a bad guy?

• Is the old Superman who appeared in the early arc of Superman/Batman supposed to be future Superman from the current DCU timeline, or is he supposed to be Superman from Earth-whatever (whichever one had the old Superman). If the latter, how’d he get out but then get stuck again? If the former, why make him look like on old pre-crisis Superman?

• How “in continuity” is S/B anyway? The initial arc “killed” Captain Atom, who will end up in the Wildstorm universe. A later arc introduced Supergirl, who’s all over the normal continuity. They ended Luthor’s presidency, which was reflected in the main DCU. But now there’s all this Maximum stuff and Batzarro and everything that happened after they “fixed” things with the 3 “foster” parents from the future. Aroo?

• Who’s the crazy mind-controlling guy in the sewers that escaped form Arkham? I’d initially thought it was Psycho Pirate (is that his name?), but he seemed okay and in costume later on.

Any relation to Crisis on Infinite Earths?

— Alan

It’s been said that it’s a “sequel” of sorts to it. How it is exactly, I think is still a mystery.

To answer your questions Dannimal:

1. I’m not actually sure about this one. It’s possible, but my knowledge of pre-crisis DC is very weak.

2. This future Superman is the Kingdom Come Superman (or some kind of hypertime/elseworlds version of the future KC Supes). Kal-L I believe is Earth 2 Superman (from Pre-Crisis), who realized that he can now breach the Hypertime barriers and travel to other dimensions. (as seen in The Kingdom 2 parter with Gog).

3. It’s definately out of continuity right now. It’s either before all these events started, or set way after them.

4. no clue

Very simplified Pre-Crisis history of the DC universe.

Once upon a time, DC had heroes that existed during WW2 (Golden Age). They then rebooted many of those characters with new costumes and origins and with no explination of what happened to the original characters (Silver Age). One writer came to the clever conclusion that the Golden Age universe and the Silver Age universe weren’t the same thing, but alternate earths - seperated by vibrational frequencies. And so the Elder Superman (Kal-L) was from Earth-2 (Golden Age) and the Modern Superman (Kal-el) was from Earth-1. This turned into an easy excuse to have any odd out of continunity characters live on alternate earths. And so there was Earth-S where Captain Marvel lived, an Earth for Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew, Earth-C where the Charlton heroes lived, Earth-P (prime) where there are no superheroes - save for Superboy, and others like the Earth of the Crime Syndicate (I think it was Earth-5 - where all of the heroes are evil and the only ‘hero’ on the planet is lex luthor).

This caused mass confusion over the years and DC decided to do something about it. They decided to merge all of the alternate earths into one. This was done during the Crisis on Infinite Earths Maxi Series. The evil Foozle of the series was a villain named the “Anti-Monitor” who was destroying the alternate universes and absorbing their energies. In the end the remaining universes were merged into one, and the Anti Monitor was defeated. The Golden Age Superman, Golden Age Lois Lane, Earth Prime Superboy and Alex Luthor (the son of the crime Syndicate world Luthor and last remaining being from that universe - who had the power to traverse the alternate earths) were about to be destroyed, when Alex Luthor took them off to a paradise outside of the universe that only he had access to.

The Crime Syndicate “Superman” (Ultraman) is the only ‘evil’ one that I can recall pre-crisis.

SPOILERS!

While signs pointed to it being Kal-L blowing up the Watchtower at the end of JLA 119, he didn’t break through the barrier until the end of Inf C 1, so barring space/time shenanigans it shouldn’t be him.

If they pull a Zero-Hour I’m going to cry.

“Hi I’m Monarch, I mean Hawk, no I mean Extant, oh sorry no really…I’m Hawk er waverider, haha I’m really Hawk hahahahaha”.

My head hurt at the end of that series. :?

I think you mean Armageddon 2001. That’s the series where Hawk became Monarch.

Supposedly, the Foozle for Armageddon 2001 was supposed to be Captain Atom. Before the first issue saw print, this news was splattered around the internet and when the DC folks saw it they scrambled to rewrite the last two issues, and rushed them to print. I don’t know if this rumor is true or not, but it goes a way to explaining why it make much sense.

Funk.

Ahh. Well, I was referring to Zero Hour, but I didn’t know that the Hawk->Monarch thing happened in Armageddon 2001.

I think Alex Luthor was the monitor… and note that many of the alternate earths had already been destroyed by the Anti-Monitor.

Despite it’s nuttery and mass confusion, Crisis on Infinite Earth had some absolutely wicked grand scenes in it.

— Alan

The monitor and the anti-monitor were created when the multiverse was. When the rogue Oan Krona built a device that would allow him to see the creation of the universe, it imbalanced the energies, and had three unexpected side effects. It created the multiverse, the anti-matter universe and the monitor and anti-monitor in each.

Funk.

As someone who stopped reading comics a couple of years befor the Crisis on Infinite Earths and started up again in the late 90s, I can attest that Crisis did very little to simplify anything.

Anti-matter universe, pocket universe, Legion reboots galore…

In the old days it was easy. Earth 1, current heroes. Earth 2, old guys. Earth Prime, our Earth. And a few others… The Shazam earth, the Captain Carrott earth… Not really that difficult to wrap your head around.

I think there was more than just “simplifying” the DC universe. They wanted “marvelfy” it. Especially after the success of the Marvel mini-series books.

It was a chance to kill off a lot of the goofiness, and give the books that “edgy” soap opera thing that was making the X-Men so much dough. And don’t knock it. DC comics were radioactive to me until the crisis came along. Somehow the retcon made it okay.

Just pick up Infinite Crisis #1 and Villains United 1-6 oh and Omac 1-6 and maybe Day of Vengeance and uhh yeah the Donna Troy Special. : )

Or you could wait for the trades and read the whole mishagosh at once.

It’s reall good though, like pudding skins but not as sweet.

Potential Spoiler.

Batman was pretty harsh on Superman. Goodness.

I wonder if they’re going to cancel the Superman/Batman comic. Supposedly the relationship between the two is to remain broken after IC.

Funk