DCS World

Lovely pics. Man, I also cut my Viper teeth on Falcon AT and Digital Integrations F-16 Combat Pilot on the Atari ST

F-16 Combat Pilot

After that, pretty much followed in your footsteps with Falcon 3 and Falcon 4. I even played this, which was awful:

Back to Baghdad

After that, Falcon F4.0 Allied Force, then BMS…

And now FINALLY… I’m getting back in that familiar old pit. Can’t wait.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

Wags tells us it’ll release like this:

Phase 1 Early Access Release:

• Color Multifunction Display (CMFD) symbology, Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) format, and Head-up Display (HUD) symbology
  • Digitally TACAN and Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (EHSI)
  • BDU-33, BDU-50LD/HD, Mk-82LDGP, Mk-82AIR, Mk-84LDGP, CBU-87 CEM, and CBU-97 SFW unguided bombs
  • 2.75” rockets LAU-68 and LAU-131
  • Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
  • AIM-9L/M/P/X Sidewinder
  • AIM-120B/C AMRAAM
  • M61A1 20mm cannon

That means it’s gonna be a kickass little fighter right from the get go, even better than the hornet was when that went out the gate. There’s @Anklebiter’s favourite clusterbomb, the CBU-97, there’s a helmet mounted sight and the AIM-9X to zap fokkers with. It’s gon’ be gud!

All the teen fighters can battle now.

This forum needs a like button!

Them tunes make me wanna spray ACAB on my hog and throw clusterbombs on some cops lol!

Interesting preview from Ars Technica:

Looking good. Pros for me are A kicking facebook/oculus to the curb, comfort, fov and rez.
Cons are price and from that preview, iffy dark scenes.

The latter con is bad enough to make me not want to sink hundreds of money into it.

Tough choice this new generation.

Index seems like it would be good for multi-purpose use. Good controllers. Comfortable with a big FOV. A safe choice.

I don’t expect to be writing any articles myself in VR, so considering the price, I’m still swaying towards the Reverb for that sweet resolution.

Me, I’m staying with my rift for a good while. I don’t have the cash, and even if I did, I’d rather spend it on more computer to power the thing. If I were to replace my rift, the valve thing definitely would be the one.

To push that resolution you’re going to need a MONSTER computer.

True. I’ve got a 2070 now. If I undersample I should be OK. It will be a bit blurrier than native, but less screen door.

One thing you can’t add is resolution. Next gen cards come out + Eagle Dynamics are advertising a 50% improvement in VR performance imminent and I think it would work out.

It is more likely I will sit out this generation with my current Rift, but who knows.

Big ol patch just dropped. The VR optimisation didn’tmake it this week, but they did some tweaks here and there to make things smoother.

Also three pages of fixes and tweaks to the tomcat.

The MiG-19 got a ten-mission story campaign built by auteur Baltic Dragon of mirage campaign fame.

But the best thing: sonic booms baby, yeah! Gotta go fast.

So this happened. Mr. Tishchenko was extradited to the US on charges of what amounted to espionage. Remaining heroically lacadaisical throughout the ordeal, and supported in a grand way by his employer Eagle Dynamics, he got off fairly light.

He’s my personal hero for the way he took these things, and my brand loyalty to ED now is unbreakable. What a story.

It is heartwarming to read about a game developer that treats employees like family, rather than chattel to burn out with endless crunch and then throw away at title release. Huge kudos to ED in that regard. This is the kind of company I am more than happy to support.

I played this on the Rift with the touch controllers. That didn’t work at all.

How do you guys play this in VR? Anyone playing with a HOTAS? Do you have all the buttons and actions memorised. Are there any good configuration files? I have a Thrustmaster T16000m.

Hey marx, welcome.

Most of us play with a HOTAS indeed. Setting it up just so is a large part of learning a plane in DCS. So boot up the sim. Try to do something. Notice a control being unavailable (flaps, i need flaps!), bind it, use it, repeat until you run out of buttons or out of controls needed.

For less used controls, use the mouse.

I would recommend against using premade controls. Setting them up yourself is a good way to learn whats what. You might want to check out a chuck’s guide for the machine you are flying, he always gives well researched realistic hotas binding suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh and Chuck has a complete YAK-52 guide. How awesome!

Memorizing a bunch buttons is but the start of it. Theres avionics, corner speeds, stall speeds, approach speeds, tactics, weapons types and envelopes…

Its quite the challenge really, so take it easy. How does one eat an elephant with a teaspoon? One bite after another.

Just today I went for a ride on the F-14. It had been a while, and I got my ass kicked by a trio of MiGs. Turned out I completely forgot the short range automatic radar modes, conveniently situated on a hat on the stick. Using those, the MiGs were dead meat.

@marxeil Counterpoint to this, most planes require many of the same controls mapped, like guns, etc. Using a premade map will allow you to eliminate some of that redundancy. I usually download one, take off, and hit all my hotas buttons to see what they are doing. Usually I get at least half the buttons from that, then do what Schurem suggested and map the rest manually.

The DCS site has a download section and you can search maps there for your stick. Also just a Google search can net results.

I usually follow a ‘Chuck’s Guide’ and try map the basics on stick/throttle to mirror the actual aircraft.

I also have mouse buttons and scrollwheel mapped, and use the gaze cursor to flip/twiddle other cockpit stuff.

But I play pretty casually.

Interesting AMA with Matt Wagner of Eagle Dynamics regarding the future of DCS.

I mean, he is saying everything right!

• Dynamic Campaign
  • RPG layer on squadrons ala games of the 90s
  • Better AI
  • Better clouds
  • Improved damage model
  • etc etc. Worth a read.

All about execution now, and for sure there are doubts. The Hornet has been in early access for over a year and some basic elements of the world are still half-baked.

That being said, if you look at the past three years, they have come a long long long way. VR, new graphics engine which is pretty as hell, a bunch of new planes, massively improved mission editor, dedicated server etc.

If they match that pace over the next three years, who knows. I sure would like to see the sim described in that AMA though.