Dead Cells - Metroidvania Roguelite in Early Access

“2023: The most exciting year in Dead Cells history”

I hope that means “2023: We announce we’re done, you can safely play the game now without having to relearn it every time you play”.

Dead Cells 2! : play harder, learn harder!

I would be thrilled if 2023 is the announcement of a sequel…maybe even something like a Risk of Rain 1–>2 scenario?

Another month, another update incoming. Right now in alpha:

Boss Rush

New unlocks

New legendary affixes:

You think the game is done? Nay!

[url]Dead Cells - The Everyone is Here Vol. II update is out now! - Steam News

What’s in the DLC?

You’ll strike out on an​ adventure through the spooky outskirts and candle-lit interior of Dracula’s Castle in two new biomes, where you’ll wield iconic weapons such as the Vampire Killer, Throwing Axe & Holy Water against classic enemies like mermen, bone throwers & haunted armors on your warpath to vanquish Dracula himself. Three epic boss fights await you throughout the haunted Castle, no prizes for guessing who one of them is!

The DLC will be $9.99 or equivalent. Yes, this is an increase from our usual price of $4.99 for a DLC, but this reflects the fact that the scope of this DLC is quite a lot bigger than previous DLCs, as well as the inclusion of the Castlevania IP.

So am I just playing through the two biomes, not the rest of Dead Cells? That actually makes this a lot more attractive to me. I don’t want to play the original game because I’ve already confined it to happy memories. I’d love to jump back in for a short, one-off themed adventure.

The opposite. It doesn’t seem as if you can see everything in one run, either. This is spoilery, but here they explain how it works

Umm, can you explain it without the spoilers?

It’s lightly explained in the patch notes:

https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes

• 2 Biomes:
  • Castle Outskirts, depth two.

Navigate this three-parts biome and use different mechanisms to find your way through. Only one thing standing between you and the castle: a drawbridge. And a tower. And a broken elevator. And a few monsters.

• Dracula’s Castle, depth three/six.

Scale the castle, reach the roof and find the exit to Dracula’s tower. Make sure to not get lost, as this is our first biome capable on looping onto itself!

This biome is only accessible after Castle’s Outskirts, until you reach a certain point in the DLC storyline, at which it will start appearing at depth six. However, you can’t get there more than once per run. The biome’s overall difficulty will depend on its depth, with new monsters and a longer runtime.

Thanks. I think that’s a little too much for me right now. Maybe one day.

Am I the only one who feels this game has no flavor of its own anymore? It feels to me like a bunch of random junk thrown together.

It always was… gameplay over unified theme kind of game. Since the start you had melee weapons, spells, auto crossbows, traps, and things like the Spartan sandals that aren’t very serious. But since then, I guess the goofy stuff has increased: the vorpan, the tentacle… then they introduced the crossover items, like the crowbar from Half Life, the Nail from Hollow Knight, etc.

That day is now! Or a week ago. I bought the Castlevania DLC to listen to sweet Castlevania music, and now I’m hooked on the game more than I ever was originally.

I’m learning to parry to make higher difficulties a little easier. So far it’s not too bad, except when I miss and then have to wait patiently for the combo to reset so I can parry again.

I could never get the hang of parrying. I always went full purple (Tactics) or red (Brutality) since I could never get the hang of the green (Survival) weapons, which tended to being the parry weapons like shields and whatnot.

Better late than never!

Youtube just gave me this biome guide, it could be useful for new players

I haven’t reached the Castlevania portions of the game yet. So far it’s been the same old Dead Cells.

I think 3BC is where I’m going to call it quits. Not because it’s impossible, I just don’t have the patience to get good at the game. I enjoyed the Castlevania and Giants DLC. Maybe I’ll pick up the other 3 paid DLCs later.

I keep coming back to this game, hoping it’ll keep my interest, and it never does. What is it that I love about Spelunky and Gungeon that isn’t present here?

Is it the fact that I have to pass so many boring levels before I get to anything challenging?
Or is it because there are just so many enemies to kill to finish a level?
Or maybe because finding a new weapon isn’t really exciting? The weapons seem mostly interchangeable.

Someone help me understand what doesn’t work for me in this game.