Dead Cells - Metroidvania Roguelite in Early Access

He is the type of enemy that is super hard with some weapons and pretty easy with others.

Holy frijole. Just finished a Brutality run where I ended something like 20/4/5 and just obliterated everything with Oiled Sword + Ice Shards (though that combo isn’t as good as it seems on paper, it’s still not bad) and a fairly vanilla Infantry Grenade + Root Grenade.

HOTK got absolutely chumped. Helps that I’ve done that fight a few times now and it’s slowed down a little for me; yes he’s nasty but he does telegraph his moves pretty clearly. Slow, as always, is absolutely amazing in this fight.

Would you guys shut up talking about this until the Switch gets the latest patch? Ugh, the travails of being a console gamer.

-Tom

Supposed to be within the week! It is a fantastic patch though, I’m glad I waited for it to pick this back up.

You’re really terrible at shutting up.

Within the week? Like, in the next three days, before the week ends? About time. I’m sick of PC gamers getting preferential treatment.

-Tom

Think of us as the canaries in the coal mine, finding bugs like impassable maps and empty cell bags so you don’t have to! Poor little console buddy.

(Snark aside, I bet this plays freaking awesome on the Switch.)

“Late January” has been confirmed multiple times by Motion Twin, apparently. So…within seven days from now ;)

There were apparently framerate hitches early on, but those seem to have been ironed out. I picked it up on the Switch right before this latest patch for the PC version came out, just in time to wait for its long slow wending journey to Nintendo’s obscure hardware with its minuscule player base.

-Tom

Heh. I’d imagine that the issue is more getting through Nintendo certification and getting them to deploy the dang patch. Three weeks is pretty much best-case, as far as what I’ve historically heard from people who have dealt with platform holders.

Just got my first win (on my third time reaching the HotK.) Have to agree with the general sentiment about the feel and rhythm of combat and the variety of weapons to experiment with being a great mix.

Both other times I had gotten this far, I was dishing out plenty of damage but couldn’t stay alive. But this time I built around Survival and Shields, and worked on getting down the parry timing. By the time I got to the end I had a shield that both stunned and applied a +300% damage bonus on successful parry. That combined real well with the big hammer that automatically crits stunned targets.

If Ice Shards doesn’t get nerfed in the next balance patch I’ll be shocked. It is madly overpowered right now.

https://twitter.com/motiontwin/status/1088742752270077952

Womp womp :(

I made the mistake of switching to a golden Ice Shards II from golden Ice Bow II.

Ice Bow was freezing multiple enemies, I was kicking ass. I got wrapped up in @inactive_user’s cult of Ice Shards and switched over to a skill that just slows enemies slightly instead of freezing them.

The only other benefit I can see to Ice Shards is that it does critical damage if you’re near water or covered in oil? But that’s a pretty rare occurrence.

Bows have an ammo count, and are thus pretty weak against bosses. Magic can just be spammed. Also enemies build up a resistance to freeze but I think don’t against any other status effects. Since bosses are like 10x-100x harder than normal enemies, all equipment decisions should be done purely based on their effectiveness against bosses.

Also Ice Shards is much, much faster to use and has a fantastic spread attack pattern. Don’t get me wrong, Ice Bow particularly with the pierce mod is super good. But Ice Shards is just a monster.

I pretty much just facetanked HOTK with this setup. Was one missed dodge off of completing Clock Tower without getting hit. For that matter, was one missed dodge off perfecting Time Keeper, which is not something I’ve done before.

Literally didn’t use my health flask this run.

BC0, but still. Gotta feed the forge.

Dead Cells v1.1 is out on consoles. Patch notes here.

The update is live for the switch version.

Interesting. I’ll have to resist auto-recycling so many things now. Like Wolf Traps. Fire Grenades. So many things.

Are you fucking with me? Wolf Trap has always been one of the better defensive items.

Though as usual the best defense is a suicidal offense, heh.

I doubt Fire Grenades were buffed. They’re already amazing, easily the best grenades in the game. If going for a grenade build, I’d probably prefer to run a Fire Grenade in both skill slots.

The thing to understand is that the stats shown by the game are a lie. They say that the fire causes X damage per second, for 3 seconds. That’s true for the single burn status effect that the initial explosion causes. But the floor stays on fire for another 7 seconds, and will regularly apply the burn again. And those effects stack.

That’s not all. Since status effect damage is gradual rather than instant, the boss damage caps don’t come into effect.