Dead Cells - Metroidvania Roguelite in Early Access

They are still updating the game:
(right now in alpha version)

TL;DR:

• :Arbiter: got nerfed pretty big time, and no longer appear on 3BC (a new mob replaces them there now). But now, they appear in Caverns too.
  • Elites no longer have their minions and Wave of Denial effect, and their non-amulet drops now always have a starred affix.
  • 5BC shield reworked
  • Two new Brutality mutations added
  • New amulet affix added, which reveals invisible enemies
  • You now get flask recharges in places where fountain is broken on 1BC - 2 weapons got buffed, 4 enemies got nerfed
  • Timed doors now open even if you reach them at the exact last second (i.e 2:00 for Promenade one)
  • You now get a tiny bit of invulnerability frames after opening chests or picking up a scroll
    Full patchnotes: Dead Cells - Rogue-lite metroidvania with some souls-lite combat on top! Kill, die, learn, repeat.
    Steam announcement: Steam :: Dead Cells :: We nerfed the Arbiter! Update 13 Alpha available now.

So after I activated the boss stem cell, I stopped making any progress (of course). I couldn’t figure out any way of undoing that, so I was stuck trying to pass the first level, and then the second level.

I could get quite a bit of the way through the Sewers, but never made it to the end, and eventually I stopped playing.

Cut to two nights ago, I decided to give it another try. This time when I passed the Stem cell, I thought, you know, there has to be a way to deactivate this fucking thing. So I messed around with the controls and the interface there for a while.

And I got it done! So I’m back on track without the boss stem cell.

On Sunday I reached that Giant Eyeball again, but this time I didn’t have the phasing ability that lets you spawn behind the enemy you’re targeting, so the fight was waaaay tougher this time around. Once again, I lost to the Giant Eyeball.

Hah hah, of course you can select difficulty.

As you can read above, they are easing up the BC1 (boss cell 1 = hard mode) difficulty you are playing right now. (You now get flask recharges in places where fountain is broken on 1BC)

Yes, see the rest of my post. :)

Ninja’ed!

Thank the gods. That was a completely unreasonable change. To only have those four flask drinks for the whole game, when the game is so much harder?

For me it was a rewarding moment, because I did the exact same change in my current mod. In fact they also lowered a lot the difficulty in BC0 like I did in my first mod. They are spying me.

Technically, it’s only a chance to be broken on 1BC, but AFAICT there’s no particular rule to it like “never twice in a row” or anything, it’s just toss a coin and maybe you get lucky or maybe you get screwed.

Oh really? I always saw it broken, so I assumed.

I thought after 1.2 and 1.3 updates the game was ‘done’, content wise. I was wrong!

1.4 is live, new weapons and new mobs included.

Btw, the console version must have been updated because I fired up the game after a long time about 2 weeks ago, and have been dabling a little here and there. The game is so much better balanced now. It’s not as balls hard anymore. Of course, I’m talking about the base difficulty, I haven’t tried putting the boss cell back in since I figured out how to take it out.

But yeah, I earned a string of achievements last week that I could never manage before this update. And I’m loving having all these new weapons. They’re all so good!

I’m nervous at some of the descriptions now though. Like the descriptions for some of the old abilities you could get mention not getting the malaise for a certain amount of time. But that means you WILL get the malaise eventually? What is the malaise I wonder? It must have been added in the previous update since so many abilities mention it now.

It has always been there but it’s basically irrelevant until multiple boss cells. In the base difficulty you can only get it at all from the minibosses on the last stage, and most likely you’d die from HP loss before actually filling the meter.

There’s a quest this month on Xbox to get two achievements in this game.

I was looking last night to see what achievements I still haven’t gotten. One of them is to get to the Graveyard. That should be the simplest one to get since I have the spider rune now and can climb walls.

But the other achievement? I don’t know man, they all look really hard. There’s secret achievements to finish the game with one boss cell active, two boss cells active, three, and four. I don’t think I can get any of those this month, that’s too hard.

There’s also secret achievements to kill all the bosses without taking any damage. That also seems impossible to me. Even the easiest boss, the Concierge, will always hit me at least once. Maybe I can go in there with turrets and concentrate on evasion the whole time. Stay away from his shield and jump jump jump over the flames he puts out.

Still, one mistake and I have to start the game over and have to get to the Concierge again just to try again. Jeez, that sounds tedious.

Maybe trying to beat the game with one boss cell is the more realistic one.

Slightly different topic, this is also on Game Pass for PC. So I installed it last night and I had a blast with my first run. Unfortunately I kept falling to my death when I got to the Ramparts, and that finally killed me. So I have my first death in the PC version.

Btw, the PC version (even the Windows 10 Xbox Live version) is more advanced than the Xbox version I usually play. They had a different set of enemies, for instance that looked like slimes wearing armor and did the fire spell that the Concierge does. Those enemies haven’t made it into the console version yet.

I just had a blast yesterday doing two more runs in the PC version. Starting over from scratch after all this new stuff has been added to the game is really fun.

Have they smoothed over the difficulty increase with one boss cell yet? I’d love to try a boss cell again if it’s actually a reasonable way to play the game.

If not, then I guess I could keep resetting my progress and just starting over from zero.

Yes, 1BC is reasonable now. You will want to upgrade the forge, so don’t forget you can break down the door that wants you to spend your cells after each level. If you can get at least a couple ++ items on a run you should have a chance.

A new update is coming:

Important features

• Corrupted Confinement : A new optional biome has been added, mirroring Prison Depths. Both biomes are now very short, with one cursed chest at the beginning.

• Scroll Fragments : These are “quarters” of scrolls, called fragments, which began to appear at BC3+. Find four of them to make a whole triple scroll!

• Recycling Tubes : A new meta upgrade, unlockable when beating the Hand of The King for the first time in BC1. Replace the starting gear with four set of 5 random items (melee, range, shield and two skills). Choose one.

The first part of Dead Cells can be very tedious without any skills and the stat points that come with it. We hope that this upgrade will help with that.

• Explorer Instinct : A new rune, which reveal the whole map and its points of interest (scrolls, chest, merchants, etc.) when you’ve explored most of the level.

• New Tactic mutation: Caltrops

Dodge to place up to nine caltrops on the ground, damaging and slowing enemies.

• New Tactic mutation: Networking

Stick an arrow in two or more enemies to make them share the damage they take.

• New Tactic mutation: Tactical retreat

Dodging just in time slows nearby enemies and prevent them from inflicting malaise.

• Less Curse Chests : While we do think it’s great mechanic, being forced to open all the curse chests to not fall behind on the curve (BC3+) can be frustrating. The chance of random cursed chest in each level has also been updated.

• Removed the possibility to equip two items of the same type. Legendary items are not concerned by this restriction.

A Custom Mode option reverting this change has been added (locks achievements).

• Colorless items with stat boosts now increase your highest stat dynamically. Highest base stat, before the bonus given by other items is taken into account.

• Added a Custom Mode option to increase the number of mutations equipable (locks achievements).

• (Community suggestion) Added a Custom Mode option to make every item colorless (locks achievements).

I got the two achievements for Xbox rewards! Last night I picked up the second one by entering the graveyard. Sadly that’s the moment my son picked to attack my controller for not paying attention to him. So I didn’t make it past the first enemy, so I don’t really know what’s in the graveyard.

I still got my two achievements though!

So, I just started. Got my sword and bow. Climbing down chains. Found a blueprint. Is there an exit I’m looking for? Is there a way to heal? Do I just keep going until I die (well I guess I don’t ever die)?

Yep, keep going. You can heal by pressing RB or LB, it’s on the screen interface, so you can see what button to press. The game will unlock more and more stuff, including more mechanics. So maybe they haven’t unlocked the healing potion yet if it’s not shown on the screen.