Dead Cells - Metroidvania Roguelite in Early Access

YMMV, but the ‘sense of satisfaction’ depends more on how challenging was the experience than who designed it.

Well I got the spider rune, finally, so there’s that chore done. God damn those golems, man.

High Peak Castle is such a huge difficulty spike. Every previous level I end up killing every enemy I run across. In HPC I just run past as many as possible, they’re all pretty bullshit. Speaking of bullshit, I found an amulet that turns you invisible if you don’t attack. Perfect! Just ran around HPC without worrying about anything, just want to get to the door and bank my cells, I’m quitting after that. Got the last key, hit RB by a teleporter to check where I was, but I didn’t actually teleport. Guess that turns off your invisibility, because the instant I exited the teleport screen I was stabbed to death by a spearman. Total. Bullshit.

FWIW nowadays there’s an alternate path (the Distillery) - it has one extremely BS enemy but otherwise I found it to be easier than High Peak Castle.

I’m flying without a map for now, except the one I have on my head from past runs.

The entrance is in between levels, it’s hard not to see it. HPC is still the better level, but the extra variety is welcomed.

Oh yes, I did notice that the door said “HPC and Distillery,” but hard as it may be to not see it I still somehow managed.

What, did you think Dead Cells was finally a complete game? Think again!

New mutations

Execution ( colourless ) - Instantly kill enemies with under 5% health (scales up to 15%) when you hit them with a weapon. Applies to bosses, for now

Barbed Tips ( Tactics ) - Inflict X damage per second to enemies, per arrows stuck in them.

Point Blank ( Tactics ) - Close range attacks inflict X% bonus damage.

Those giant weapons look great. I like that first gif of hitting that guy from behind, thereby taking a lot of damage. As much as I try to avoid it, a lot of my deaths are as a result of repeatedly killing those guys from behind.

You know, eventually they’re going to stop working on this game. And whenever that day comes, I hope the game they leave behind for future generations is well balanced.

Nice, I love big weapons.

and I cannot lie

I’m really having trouble beating the game with one boss cell active. Zero is simple. One is such a pain for me.

This most recent run I had an amazing ice crossbow and maxed out my top weapon stat at level 22. Just disintegrated everything in my path. But I decided to do the Distillery instead of High Peak Castle and it just kicked my butt so I only had one health potion for the hand of the king. Ugh.

Any tips?

Here’s what I do: I deactivate the one boss cell and then let my skills atrophy over time, that way I start having trouble with zero boss cells again.

It’s hard to give any useful advice. Saying ‘try to be hit less’ doesn’t sound particularly useful, right?

How about this: go very slow until you get the enemy timing down perfectly. I think the shields were the best way to learn timing? Use parries/counters (whatever they are called, I can’t remember). Only then do you start speeding up. Do this on zero BC if you aren’t lasting long enough on one BC to get any real training. Once you’re completely nailing the timing go to one BC. Don’t take any new routes until after you beat it.

Even though you’re doing better, make sure to stop every now and then to take stock of the situation before continuing.

Maybe that’s my problem - I never use shields. So there are always some enemies I have problems with. Hmmmm

The 24th update
https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes

Basically item balancing (more buffs than nerfs) and more room types for 3 biomes. Also room creation for modders.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/588650/eventcomments/3056240878563461887?ctp=3

It’s out now

Any note on when it’ll hit consoles?

My Xbox version was updated a couple of days ago. I had assumed it was this update. I haven’t fired it up in a while.