Dead Cells - Metroidvania Roguelite in Early Access

I think 3BC is where I’m going to call it quits. Not because it’s impossible, I just don’t have the patience to get good at the game. I enjoyed the Castlevania and Giants DLC. Maybe I’ll pick up the other 3 paid DLCs later.

I keep coming back to this game, hoping it’ll keep my interest, and it never does. What is it that I love about Spelunky and Gungeon that isn’t present here?

Is it the fact that I have to pass so many boring levels before I get to anything challenging?
Or is it because there are just so many enemies to kill to finish a level?
Or maybe because finding a new weapon isn’t really exciting? The weapons seem mostly interchangeable.

Someone help me understand what doesn’t work for me in this game.

Soul-crushing difficulty?

Though that part is present once you finish the game once and unlock boss cells.

I like less intense roguelites as well, though not as much. I finished Children of Morta and I liked Rogue Legacy for example. Whenever I play Dead Cells, a sense of monotony just takes over. It feels like I’m in the same situations all the time.

New update

TLDR

• 2 new weapons

• Change your head to Bobby with most outfits

• Speedrun mode

• Boss Rush now has customisation options and Return to Castlevania bosses (including upgraded versions)

• Training Room has a ton of new customisation

Did you ever figure out an answer? I never got hooked on the game originally for similar reasons. When I picked it back up, I tried to focus on speed and efficiency. That way the repetitive stuff just flew by.

https://twitter.com/motiontwin/status/1668982072797454338

Dead Cells Animated series.

https://twitter.com/Studio_Evil/status/1755940578183774278

I like that this thread title still says “Early Access”.

Well, now that they will finally stop changing the damn game, it might now be acceptable to remove Early Access from the title.

I should go back and revisit the game and learn how to play it again now with all the changes since I last played.

Same. I played it before any DLC. Will it feel fresh to revisit? I hope so, though it’s hard for me to mentally prioritize Dead Cells as a new game I need to look at.

I’m banking on it being a good endless Steam Deck game. But I still have a bunch of other shiny new endless Steam Deck games, so it’ll be a while before I return to it.

Dead Cells creators to make a roguelite Prince of Persia?!

Because it’s a rumor, I didn’t want to make a thread still, so here I put it.

So… Dead Cells 2?

Grumpy. That link preview didn’t capture that it is “make available in early access”, not “release”. I was wondering what strange timing would prompt a second 2-D game right after The Lost Crown. And, the site uses a shot from The Lost Crown for their leading image? Rumors should have something more like box art.