Dead Motherboard, Right?

Magical worlds should have unicorns eating out of dumpsters and garden gnomes running lawn mowers. Fruit bats choosing death by power lines is the stuff of nightmares.

Parts began to arrive today. But new mobo isn’t until Tuesday, so it’ll be awhile yet before I see if I correctly guessed what was boned!

Also, krok, the fruit bats thing is genuinely insane what the hell, lol

I keep thinking this thread is “Dear Motherboard, Right?”

Which makes me think each time: What WOULD I write if I was writing a letter to my motherboard?

I love your fast BUS

And your phat lanes

Girl I wanna lock into your socket

Just don’t reset my CMOS

I am bad at love letters.

Dear Asus, mother of boards, Pride of Taiwan, Maker of Surge Protectors:

I received a motherboard that was dead on arrival. There appear to be broken CPU pins inside the socket and screwdriver scratches on the tracelines. I think it’s unacceptable that a device would arrive is such a condition. I expect a new one to be sent in pristine condition.

P.S. does your warranty also cover CPUs with broken pins?

To this day I am still amazed anyone can damage a cpu’s pins. They literally fall into place. I’ve installed over 1000 cpu’s in the last 20 years, never damaged a single one.

Well that would put you in an extraordinary category, not the ordinary. People who do it maybe 3 times during those years are not experts.

I’ve never damaged one either, but I do remember being nervous about it. This last year was so easy… and I know it wasn’t like that before. It felt different.

4am me straightening pins with a credit card does not like you. They definitely don’t always fall into place.

Some of us just have a natural born talent.

Hello Motherboard, hello Fatherboard,
Here I am in Camp Granadaboard…

Some CPUs just have little nubs instead of pins. Not sure how common this is however.

So, fun story.

Remember how I did all the proper tests, including bridging the contacts on the Power On Switch jumper, to test that my motherboard was well and truly dead?

. . . so. . .

. . . apparently I did that with a screwdriver whose tip is painted with a thin layer of non-conductive paint, to avoid shorting out electronics while you use it.

Which I discovered tonight when I got home from a long trip during which I’d left my PC unplugged to avoid any Hurricane Dorian-related shenanigans, only to find that it wouldn’t power on again. Thinking there was no way a second mobo had died, I re-did all the tests, and when I went to get my trusty screwdriver, I noticed the black tip. Found another one, jabbed it at the jumper pins for a bit, and viola, booting PC.

Soooooo. . . rather than needing to drop $500 on a new CPU and motherboard, I really only needed to spend $50 on a case, or $0 and just jump my PC to life anytime I need to turn it on from fully off (I virtually never turn my PC off, hence my not spotting this issue for a month).

I am very, very, very, very unhappy right now :(