Dead Space (no spoliarz)

I went into EA Access last night to see if they had added Dead Space 2 and 3 to it yet. And they’re halfway there! Dead Space 2 is on there, but 3 is not.

So I installed Dead Space 2. And I watched the “Previously on Dead Space” movie. Whoever made this movie took footage from Dead Space recorded with the gamma turned way up, and playing on a low resolution, to make the original Dead Space look worse than it was. Well done Visceral. That’s a brilliant way to make the sequel look much improved.

Sadly I got busy and didn’t get to start Dead Space 2 yet. The movie recap of the first Dead Space was pretty illuminating though. I’d forgotten most of the story details, like the Marker.

That’s because it gets confusing. Like, the Marker is the cause of the problems, like it causes insanity, maybe an unintentional byproduct of its alien nature? But then it keeps the monsters in check, suppresses them? I’m remembering the outbreak of necro monsters starts because they took the Marker off planet in the first game. I think.

Reading this got me curious. I wonder what the heck I’m talking about here. Apparently they got better with their text logs and audio logs later in the game. Hmmm. I don’t remember that.

One of the things I do remember from my second playthrough was when I had a whole horde of zombies coming at me all lined up side to side, and I used the line gun to slash all their legs at once. Good times.

I think the Marker causes the necromorphs but it had been sealed away. I might be misremembering, though.

That makes sense too, but I am thinking of the end of the first game, when you are told you need to get the Marker back to the planet to suppress that giant tentacle beast end boss. But I guess that didn’t end up working, and it’s been a long time since I played. Kind of hoping a replay will remind me how all this was supposed to work, though I suspect it’s not really all that thought out.

Well, my ambitions have hit a slight snag. I can’t start a game on impossible difficulty, and googling a bit it seems this unlocks only after beating the game. Which I have done, but then you must apparently immediately begin an impossible game and save, or you lose the menu option, as I have done. Kind of bummed. I do have a game save that I had worked through before, apparently a New Game +, since I have way leveled up weapons and a kickass stormtrooper looking suit. So maybe I’ll just work my way through this one, though I doubt I have the fortitude to immediately begin an impossible game though who knows? May surprise myself.

All right, I’m back, this time with my tail between my legs, defeated. I played a couple more levels since the last game but I think I’m going to bail on my grand goal. I really was interested in knocking out impossible mode but the fact that I have to play through again just to enable that mode kind of took the wind out of my sails.

Then the Thanksgiving sales happened, Black Friday and Cyber Monday and I bought a lot of new stuff and … to be honest replaying all three Dead Space games on impossible mode kind of feels like a waste of time, very been-there-done-that. I’ll still play a bit more of each, sort of dip my toes back in, but that’s probably it. You win this one, @Rock8man!

The prospect of playing through Dead Space 2 is actually what saved me a lot of money in the current Xbox Live sale. It kept me from buying a lot of other games. Once I get through Wolf 2, Dead Space 2 and Titanfall 2 are definitely next on my list. I really enjoyed what I played of Dead Space 2 so far.

Guess this is as good a place to put this as any - Eurogamer talked to the creative director of the Dead Space games, and he reveals some of the ideas they had for where Dead Space 4 might have gone. I wish this one could find its way to a new game. Hey, Rage is getting a sequel, anything can happen right?

The space part of Dead Space 3 was the best part of the game.

Guess this is a good catch all thread. Anyways 10 years ago today Dead Space came out, and made me afraid to play games in the dark again.

I tried to start another run up a few months back when they added the 360 version to Xbox One back compat, but I just kind of ran out of steam, so to speak. Mainly because I was thinking about the long haul, playing all three games, and I wasn’t really feeling it. But, uh, if you guys wanted to try coordinating a run with a few of us, might be a fun October kind of thing to do …?

I loved DS. I’m up for it.

Now the dilemma is whether I should play on the desk pc with M&K, or the living room pc with a gamepad.

I’ll join you guys by playing Dead Space 2 instead. I’ve already played through the original enough times. I’ll be there in spirit while I’m playing the sequel. I can pretend the corridors I’m going through are the Ishimura.

Well technically, you can rejoin us on the Ishimura in DS2 (OMG spoilarz!)

What? Really? Squeeeeee!

DS2 has only been out for 7 years, and then to top that off you post it in the no spoliarz thread. For shame!

stinker

All righty then, Dead Space: reinstalled. I’ll probably pick up where I left off with my last play through a few chapters in, but what the heck, let’s go!

I still have Game Pass in October, so I’ll be playing Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War (U) and Snake Pass. I can join you in November though, right after I try Mark of the Ninja Remastered.

I already started Dead Space 2, so I have a small head start compared to someone who is starting now/soon.