Dead Space (no spoliarz)

Game still looks great!

Dead Space 3 is the best Dead Space.

Discuss.

Or just continue posting screengrabs of the first game, which is a pretty compelling argument in itself. Those look great.

-Tom

No Tom, Dead Space 3 was the worst , especially when you end up on the frozen planet.

Dead Space 3 had some really cool parts, some really cool ideas. Floating around in space at the beginning, exploring all those drifting space hulks in orbit over the ice planet was pretty great. Didn’t hit the highs of the first two games, but still really interesting. It’s just that once you get down to the planet, things get … boring. The weird love triangle thing with Ellie and what’s his name, your boring space marine partner, the boring space aliens who lived on the planet once upon a time … it was all just so, what’s the word? It’s on the tip of my tongue.

LikeButton-main

I tried to play dead space 3 but for all the cool modification they sacrificed scares,atmosphere, and story. Dead Space 3 suffers from Alien 3 syndrome.

Speaking of the babies in vats: I love that there’s all this lore in the world of Dead Space just under the surface of you take the time to look a little deeper, read the logs, stuff like that. The CEC clones crew members and keeps the babies on hand for body parts when crew members are injured. It’s just so casually amoral, and then also explains why there are baby zombies with tentacles growing out of their backs all over the ship. It’s awesome.

So far, at not quite halfway, yes I am. It’s easier than it sounds since you can devote your power nodes to one weapon and make it a beast.

I’m playing on normal, because I’m doing a “new game plus” from my initial play years ago, with the military suit unlocked and my powered up weapons carried forward. Which yeah, kind of trivializes the experience, but I’m thinking I’ll use it as a warmup for an Impossible run. Because I have to be honest, it kind of galls me that @Rock8man has that Epic Tier 3 Engineer achievement and I don’t.

Heh, yeah, I did

1. Hard run with Plasma Cutter.
  2. New Game Plus of Hard and leveled up the other weapons.
  3. Did an impossible run where I did mostly the plasma cutter and one or two other powerful weapons.

IIRC.

The only thing hard about this game on any difficulty is that stupid section where you’re destroying asteroids. I had a tough time with that.

All the rest of the game is hard, but not really hard. My current run through Gears of War Ultimate on Normal difficulty is giving me more trouble than this game ever did on any run.

I hit a double whammy tonight in the sequel.

I got the Kinectic doohicky so that I can impale enemies with objects lying around. And then a few moments later I got the plasma cutter!

Haaaaaalellujah. So sweet to be fully equiped again. Now all I need is a suit.

Very nice @krayzkrok , watching your lets/play screen recap of sorts, it reminds me of just how fantastic the level design and the locations were in the game.

Hahaha. The statute of limitations on that restriction expired in 10 years I guess.

I’d forgotten there were three levels of spoiler threads for Dead Space. There was this “No Spoliarz” thread, there was this:

And then there was a thread specifically about the ending, which was a full on spoilers thread.

I feel bad for being so sensitive before the game came out. I was all “oh, I can’t believe you posted that gif, now that moment has been spoiled for me”. Dead Space, it turns out, doesn’t have the type of gameplay or story that you can spoil really. This is not System Shock 3 like I was imagining/hoping for before release. As such, I was really disappointed in the game.

But of course, I kept playing because it was fun, and I got completely turned around on it by the end. The story and characters were all pretty meaningless foils. An excuse, if you will, for going to the next room and turning on that thing, and then going back to the other room, and then going to that other department to turn on that other thing.

I wrapped up chapter six yesterday so I’m right at the midpoint. But then I got my copy of RDR 2, so who knows when I’ll get back to Dead Space. Maybe it will make a nice distraction now and then if I need a break from the old west.

Don’t pass me by
Don’t make me cry
Don’t make me blue

My own fault really, well me and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Even if you’d decided to play on Hard, there’s a decent chance you wouldn’t be - there’s a bug in the PC version that was never fixed where if you use the Continue option to load into the game it resets the difficulty to Normal and there’s no way to change it back.

10 kilotons big! Is that a real unit of measurement, kiloton? And if so is it bigger than a metric fuck-ton?

This is me with most horror games. Amnesia is still just a pre-ordered game. I’m amazed I got through SOMA.

I bought a 5.1 system for Dead Space on the PS3 (my PC at the time was getting a bit long in the tooth). Well, not just for Dead Space, but it was a major driver. I fondly remember being at one of the stations just listening to the ambient hum of the Ishimura and noticing an odd sound coming from behind my chair where I was playing. I looked and nothing was there. Then I turned Isaac around to see a paper cup that I’d knocked off a nearby table slowly rolling towards me. The surround sound was remarkable and I’m yet to play a game that has done that to me since!

Haha, yeah, backtracking is very much a different beast in horror games! You know stuff’s going to go down and even if it doesn’t that expectation and anticipation can ruin you.

Oh wow, yeah, me too. It is horrible.

Keep 'em up coming!

Yeah, all this is brought back to me thanks to Kroc’s Let’sPlay Lite aka a Let’s Play for those of us who don’t like watching video of other people playing games.

There were a couple of Dead Space animated movies right? I think I saw one of them.