Dead Space (no spoliarz)

I like how the suit got that armor applied to it as you upgraded it.

I’ll take that under advisement! I see on YouTube there’s an entire video compilation of Isaac’s grisly death sequences, I may have to watch that at some point. I encountered another of those… things a little later. It screams like a demented cat. Pretty nasty critter.

Right now though, there’s a communications array to be fixed. Remove all the smashed components and replace them with working ones. All in a day’s work for Isaac.

Wait, does this go there, or does this go there?

Nevermind, I figured it out, and we’re talking with the Valor! Hey, these guys don’t look particularly friendly.

Back along the freaky tram ride. Expectations for an attack are high. The only thing we saw got squashed under the tram. That’s how I like to roll.

There’s something blocking the docking bay doors… Good job there’s a turret pointing directly at it! Let’s give it a poke, shall we?

Uh, I think I pissed it off.

Shit! Definitely pissed it off!

But ultimately it is no match for my asteroid-honed shooting skillz. It peels away like an oversized facehugger, and the docking bay doors are open.
20181102220815_1

Of course there’s a problem. They picked up an escape pod earlier that Hammond ejected, because it had a necromorph in it. DON’T OPEN THE ESCAPE P… Oh shit, why are they heading straight for us?

I shouldn’t have gotten out of bed this morning.

Well at least Hammond is still alive. He’s heading for the ship. Hey, that might not be a good idea, dude! Wait for me!

We all agree it’s a bad idea and head to the pub for some nice, cold beer. Oh shit, hallucinations from the marker again. I have to head to the ship and pick up a core to power a shuttle which Hammond has FINALLY realised we need to get the fuck out of here.

But first things first. MAXIMUM POWER!

maximum%20power

But first I have to clear these green balls away from the airlock so I can get in. Okay…

I’m guessing this isn’t going to be much fun. The ship was specced for a military operation. This day keeps getting worse.

Throwing the safety rulebook out of the window, I switch on my gravity boots and blow the airlock open. I’ll teach those green balls a thing or two.

And here we go. This looks scary. I’m scared. Goodnight.

So yes, @divedivedive, I experimentally got myself killed by one of those walking skulls. Now I’m even more freaked out, thanks.

Back to the Valor. Here we go. It seems things went a bit awry in here. Nice rigs though.

Ok, that is not normal. It’s shaking around like it’s on speed, and HOLY CRAP it IS on speed. Hammond tells me it’s something to do with the stasis modules built into their rigs. Great, just great.

I love the fact this entire ship is at a Dutch angle.

Sorry who are you again? What are you doing communicating on this channel? You don’t want me to escape in a shuttle? Let me think about that.

This entire ship is a mess.

Meanwhile, in the armory, there’s a shooting range! Yes, let’s forget the super critical mission for a few minutes and play a game. Several won rounds later, and I have another power node. I was hoping for something more dramatic, but it’ll do.

This reminds me of an old sci-fi movie which I can’t remember the name of. A crazy piece of laser equipment that’s going bananas. I narrowly avoid being sliced in two and continue on. Damn, that movie name is going to bug me now.

Running back behind a closed door is no defence in this game, they just leap up into a vent and find another way into the room. Fortunately these guys go boom very easily, as long as they’re not too close.

There are certain rooms which, when I enter them, my brain immediately tries to retreat into a corner because it remembers the horror. Oh yes, the barracks. Actually this wasn’t so bad, but it was a sustained assault for quite some time. I never upgraded my plasma cutter to this degree before, and it kicks ass.
20181103125604_1

Good to know. Now I don’t feel so guilty about these guys picking up the escape pod.

Oh shit, there goes my brain again! Come back brain, surely it can’t be that bad?

Hiding behind these movable rigs while I try to get closer to the singularity fragment that I need.

I’m fine as long as I don’t step out of… AAAUUUGGGHHH! MAKE IT STOP! Medkit time again.

These look important to the smooth functioning of the ship’s engines, I’d better destroy them!

Yeah, I guess they were. The place is going up.

It’s Hammond! Dude, we need to get the fuck out of here.

HOLY SHIT, LOOK OUT!

Shit, this isn’t good. It’s a super necro version of the… whatever the fuck it is. RUN!

Time to get the actual fuck out of here.

With the whole ship going up around me, this reminds me of Ripleys’ escape from the queen alien at the atmosphere processing station in Aliens. This is probably my favourite part of the whole game.

I made it. Let’s hope it doesn’t bring the Ishimura down with it!

Damn, I’m check this shit out. I’m loaded! Of course I don’t have much to spend it on, maybe some more power cells, but there’s another suit upgrade coming soon and I’m not sure how much it is. Better player hoarder for a little longer. Besides, I don’t feel like I’m short of cash or resources, there are really way too many at this stage of the game. This is where Hard mode would probably have been better.

Next, to pick up some… key cards? Um, ok. Aren’t we past that yet? Oh right, we need to get some doodad for the shuttle, and so we need the correct key cards from the relevant crew members, who of course are in the crew quarters. Or what’s left of them.

This entire area really freaks me out, it has Twinkle Twinkle being sung softly in the background, there are voices in my head whispering my name, and there are a lot of bodies that appear to have been ritually sacrificed. Just imagine what damage one of those reanimator necromorphs could do in here, eh?

Brrrrr.

Hey, it’s Dr Crazy Pants again. What are you doing with that knife, Dr?

Oh gawd, I really should have brought my waders.

The cafeteria. Very Alien 3 this area. Wait, what’s that lurking outside in the corridor?

Yeah fuck this, I’m just going to stay here for a while ok? Don’t wait for me.

The decor in these clubs gets more gothic all the time.

The moral of this tale is, don’t go pulling giant plugs of rock out of perfectly good planets, bad things happen.

This is another area that I instantly recognise. Something really, really nasty happens here.

Well yeah, this too. Come on, I know how this dance goes.

I wonder what Freud would have to say about giant tentacles that pull you into gaping, fleshy holes in the wall?

Wait, hold your horses! What’s going on here?

I wonder if this is a homage to the basketball court in System Shock 2? In that place you get attacked by a rumbler. Here, you get sprung by the baby tentacle beasts. Do you mind, I’m trying to shoot some hoops?

Stand back for the master. /brushes dust from lapel

Actually no, that game was boring. Or I wasn’t very good at it. I got a plasma refill and that was it. Bah.

This is me closing the door on a real asshole who scared the crap out of me by jumping down just as I was about to step through.

Yep, I fucking knew it. Reanimator necromorph. Fortunately my fully operation battlestation / plasma cutter made short work before it could turn the place into a nightmare scenario. I seem to recall the last playthrough I wasn’t quite so quick on the draw and this turned into a hellish fight. Speaking of hellish, that area I mentioned a few photos ago where something nasty happened? Well… nothing happened. I don’t know if I was just terrified that something was going to happen, or whether there’s an identical area later where something nasty happens, but now I’m even more freaked out.

Right, it’s too much for me. Time to quit. Before I do though, let’s get one thing straight. LEVEL 5 SUIT, BITCHES.

Heading off for a few days, not sure if I’ll be Dead Spacing, but if not then come back later in the week to find out what other nasty, nasty things are waiting for Isaac later in this level. I know what’s coming actually, and I’m noping out about it, one of the scariest sequences in the entire game.

Not scifi, but Goldfinger?

I don’t think so. That’s the one where Bond is tied down with a laser slowly heading up towards his crotch? The scene I’m thinking of was an AI-directed machine of some kind, a surgical laser perhaps, that was being maliciously controlled.

Maybe the first Resident Evil movie, with the hallway full of lasers?

No, much older. I’m thinking 70s, back when they used silence and sound effects and not overly dramatic music to convey tension. It was similar to the scene in the game: a single (I think) piece of machinery that had gone haywire or was being controlled by something. It’ll come to me eventually. It may even have been a scene where the protagonist outwits it, and then uses it against the bad guys before moving on. Damn my failing memory.

I so wanted to play Dead Space 4 but sadly that’s not possible anymore. Now we’ll never know what happened after the ending of Awakened DLC.

One more keycard to find. It’s over here, in the dark.

Remember when I said I remembered a certain room where something horrible happened, and then nothing happened? Well, that’s because it wasn’t the right room. THIS is the right room. There’s a recording of Dr Crazy Pants on a holoscreen telling everyone how great it is that they’re about to die.

I’m pretty sure this stuff says “Don’t go through that fucking door!”

And yet, here I am. In real life, I had to turn the volume right down on this. First, I’m back on headphones and that makes the game 50x scarier, and second… see the first reason. I know what’s coming. Why am I doing this? I have to roll all these bunks out of the way so I can get through.

Some kind of ritual suicide, and I just missed it. Dayum. See that glowing keycard in the corner? Guess what happens when you pick it up?

He’s baaaack! The regenerating bastard. First he chased me through that pile of bunks I had to sloooooowly move back into position to let myself through (which was so damn scary I forgot to take any screen shots) and then he chases me into this horrible room and the fucking door locks.

Not that he was alone or anything, but my strategy was to stasis the shit out of it after destroying both its legs, and running as far away as possible.

Oh look, I remembered to take another screen shot! This was shortly before my stasis ran out completely, and panic mode ensued.

Fortunately the door finally opened, I got the hell out of that clusterfuck, and I can finally go and see Dr Kyne. Let’s hope this crazy looking bastard isn’t quite so nuts.

Go to the shuttle bay and get the shuttle working so we can retrieve the marker, he says? It must be this way, through the executive suites full of nasties and tasteless decor. I find a notepad telling me that Dr Kyne is a Unitologist. Uh oh.

There she is! A fleeting glimpse of hope, I wonder?

Got the shuttle going, waiting for Dr Kyne, I wonder what happens if I press this “Test fire the engines” button? OH SHIT! Won’t this thing ever die? No, I guess not.

But wait, perhaps you could help me test the engines? Let’s just stasis you to the spot…

You’re terminated, fucker.

“Just release the docking clamps for me, and I’ll meet you on the flight deck!” Uh, why are we trusting this guy again? How about I fly it there and you meet ME in the fucking flight deck?

Meanwhile, the other crazy Dr has decided to turn himself into a walking meat sack.

Well, it does take a few seconds, during which I sliced him into multiple pieces. Karma.

Time to find the marker and send it to the flight deck.

This place is as well organised as my office.

Finally, the source of all this trouble. Let’s get this damn thing off the ship.

Naturally they’re not just going to let me take it. I got assaulted by god knows how many of these things, plus two giant stabbing tentacles, which was so frantic I used up most of my plasma cutter ammo and forgot to take any screenshots. Good job I’m not doing this for money!

Back in this room again, and this time I’m not the one behind the safety glass. I’m going through a lot of ammo here and wondering if I shouldn’t have bought more. I’m mostly getting ammo for other weapons I don’t have.

Here comes the not-so-mad Dr with the shuttle, fortunately he’s a better pilot than mine were and doesn’t plant it into the back wall.

I believe I need to take a break! I’m getting the vapours.

Such fantastic level design and atmosphere in this game. I continue to love the write up and screenshots every few days! @krayzkrok

Glad you’re enjoying it @lordkosc! It has that Dark Souls vibe where the entire place feels like a single entity, routes that cross back into each other, places that you see through glass and later visit from the other side, levels that you return to only to find subtle changes, and designers who play on your expectations. It really was a brilliant design, more so than the sequels.

Getting near the end now though, it may be time to return to the last store and stock up on ammo. There is one potential reason to end the game with a boatload of spare credits, but if there’s to be more Dead Space then it would be the sequel.

I too am enjoying this Krayzkrok. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

@krayzkrok Just wondering which Dead Space game is your favorite and why?

Hmmm. Well, it’s a bit like Alien vs Aliens. Both great movies, but for different reasons. DS1 is the more pure experience, and certainly the scariest, but DS2 improved upon it in some ways, better pacing, more variety, better weapons and combat. I have not played DS3 yet (well, other than the opening 20 minutes). I’m hoping it’s more Alien3 than Alien Resurrection.

So, here’s the final installment. It goes without saying that there are MAJOR SPOILERS ahead if you for any reason need to be reminded of that, but yeah. ;)

Also, @Rock8man was correct to question my brightness settings. I discovered earlier today that there is (yet another) bug in the PC version where playing Fullscreen sets the brightness to max! OH MY GOD. It was scary enough already. So I’ve now adjusted the brightness to minimum, and actually it hasn’t made it any harder to see, but it’s certainly made it look a lot nicer on my monitor.

Behold the shuttle craft, as it is meant to look. Spooky, eh?

Right, where was I again?

Oh yes, loading the marker into the shuttle. Let’s get this bad boy down to the planet.

Of course none of the machinery is working as per usual, so I have to manually faff around with track junctions and drag the thing along manually, all the while being attacked by beasties from beyond. The marker is chanting sweet nothings into my ear the whole time. That couldn’t be bad, right?

Time to meet Dr Kyle in the shuttle. Hi Dr Kyl… WHAT?

Someone shot you? Someone in the shuttle? And wait, COME BACK! Don’t leave me on this damn ship!

Oh great, you’re a Unitologist traitor. I’m in some real pretty shit now.

But wait, I forgot. There’s still Nicole, and here she is! Oh let’s hug and be happy. No? You’re being a bit cold and distant, Nicole. You’re worrying me.

Ha! That’ll learn ya!

Here it comes, but not before our traitorous Unitologist friend managed to get away in an escape pod. Well that’s ok, we’ll never see her again.

Get to da shuttal! There’s always a few last pockets of resistance though. Three of these nasty, high-speed bastards.

We’re off, and our creepy girlfriend is coming with.

Doesn’t this place look inviting? We’ve left one hell behind and entered another.

Welcome to Hadley’s Hope.

Time to drag the marker to its final destination. Looking up there’s a gigantic piece of rock in orbit held by gravity tethers. Let’s hope they hold, eh?

First I need to find a way to open the main blast door into the complex. I wonder if the power module is in here? Oh, hi there! That’s not subtle.

I think Dante would be impressed with this place.

Ok, so we have to drag the marker manually through this complex, raising bridges and holding them with stasis as we go. I don’t expect this to go smoothly.

I hate being right. This was a sustained assault and a half! My poor ammo.

Damn, the bridge controls aren’t working. The power switch must be at the end of this strangely winding tube with no gravity!

On the way back, the shit really hit the fan(s).

Uh oh, it’s another of these super armoured beasts. Only this time, I am not afraid. It goes down pretty fast.

Finally out into the open and WHAT IN FUCK’S NAME IS THAT?

Well, it’s gone. I guess the spiders here are pretty big. Giant tentacles too. Got the drag the marker to the end while fighting off the ravening hordes.

Nearly there, nothing can stop me now!

DIE! Or whatever it is you’re doing. Wait, what am I doing again? Why was I compelled to do this?

Oh shit, those gravity tethers I prophetically mentioned earlier? Not working anymore. We’re going to be making pancakes unless I get the hell out of here fast.

Well, this screenshot really sums it all up, doesn’t it! The Unitologist spy just happened to land nearby and is taking the damn marker back again, and she’s accusing me of being in its thrall. As proof, I get to watch the last recording made by Nicole. Oh. Oh dear.

I find a convenient shortcut back to the landing platform. It’s like the alley at the back of a pub, except not quite as gross.

Looks like I’m too late.

What the shit?

Holy crap. This must be the Hive Mind. Not the QT3 Hive Mind, of course, but it puts on a good show.

I think I pissed it off.

I do some dental work for free, getting rid of those nasty abscesses, after which it picks me up for some detail work on its tonsils.

Fortunately you can’t smell how bad its breath is. Dayum.

And then, as quickly as it appears, it is gone. I’m left alone to stare into the dusty sunset.

And then I remember, oh shit there’s a giant meteor about to land on my head! HIT THOSE THRUSTERS PILOT.

Another lucky escape, Isaac.

Finally, it’s over. The nightmare is gone.

We take off our helmet, get our first proper look at Isaac as he reminisces about Nicole. She’s dead after all.

AAAAUUUGH! FUCK YOU, I damn near had a heart attack!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is that. Does Isaac survive? Has he lost his marbles entirely? Tune in next time, or some time, for quite possibly a Dead Space 2 playthrough. Not now though, now I can put this to bed and…

Oh. Military Suit unlocked, eh? :) Well, I’m almost tempted to play NG+ so I can buy it from the store.

Almost.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that journey. I wasn’t intending to play through the whole game, but it grabbed me and held my attention right to the end. It holds up remarkably well, the sound design, enemy behaviour and combat system in particular. Also still the scariest game I’ve ever played, a curious feeling of terror and compulsion to continue. I loved it.

Really loved your playthrough of Dead Space 1. It was awesome :)

Nicely done, krayzkrok! I do love that first game, it’s ptobably my favorite though they’re all pretty good. I definitely think the complaints about DS3 are overstated but it is also a step down from the first two. Much like Alien 3!

Thanks everyone. But, there’s one last thing to be done. I can’t not do it.

There she is. Again? I sense… deja vu? What is happening?

Why am I doing this again?

It’s as though my life is replaying before my eyes.

But wait, this is different! I have a plasma cutter already. Ok baby, LET’S DO THIS!

Ha, you weren’t expecting that, were you? Say goodbye to your knees.

20 minutes later…

Ah, this is why we’re here.

Damn, I look like… I dunno, like I just bought some microtransaction suit, actually.

Ok, it’s pretty bitchin’ I guess. Finally, I can be the one striking fear into the hearts of necromorphs!

THE END (really, this time)

Sad we won’t probably ever get a Dead Space 4.

Saw this recently uploaded on the webs:

Watching it now. I just got to the point where their initial design had the same movement contrivances as Resident Evil 4, i.e., not being able to move and shoot at the same time. Gah, can you imagine if the game had been like that? I wouldn’t have played through it once, let alone three times back to back.

EDIT: Woah. So after Dead Space Visceral made a bunch of duds like Dante’s Inferno and a canceled game where you play Jack the Ripper. I did not know that. And then the next Dead Space game was not Dead Space 2, but Dead Space Extraction on the Wii. This is the first time I’m seeing footage of Extraction. This game looks pretty darn cool. I still have my Wii somewhere, I wonder if I can track down a cheap copy of Extraction somewhere?

EDIT 2: Ok, 20 minutes in, and they’re talking in detail about Dead Space 2, which I’m playing now, so I’ll have to stop watching this video.

I don’t have a Wii, but I did watch a Let’s Play of the entirety of Extraction, it was that good (I am not usually one to watch Let’s Plays).