Dead Space (no spoliarz)

Good article, I concur.

The Force Gun is not an “all the time” kind of weapon. It’s great for clearing swarms of crawly things or against any larger enemies, but using it on normal enemy types constantly is just wasting ammo.

Nevermind, I’m dumb. I was confusing the Fore Gun and the Contact Beam.

The Contact Beam is what I used.

I got all the weapons upgraded, and got my 30 kills with each weapon by the middle of Chapter 11 on my second playthrough. The game is way too easy on Hard difficulty once everything has been upgraded though.

I did try getting the “Playing Catch” achievement for catching pods that get shot at you by certain big enemies, but I found one of those enemies in Chapter 10 for over an hour, going around and around in circles, but he never shot anything at me that I could catch. Very disappointing. Maybe it’ll happen on my impossible play-through.

That’s right. I started over yet again last night on Impossible, and am now on Chapter 2. Why can’t I stop playing this game? It really has it’s hooks in me.

One thing I really appreciate about the game after having done two playthroughs on Hard is that it doesn’t really repeat itself much. For the most part, the kinds of situations and rooms you encounter in Chapter 3 and 4 are not the kind of fights you get into in Chapter 8, and so on. They did a great job of creating a very diverse and yet lengthy game without repeating themselves.

How is that business where you have to man a turret? Does that get harder at the harder levels? I barely made it past that stupid turret in my first playthrough, and worries about hitting a brick wall there are keeping me from replaying Dead Space. Well, that and Demons Souls.

I’m currently on Chapter 9 on Impossible Difficulty. That’s really a misnomer. It’s not as difficult as the name implies.

As for the Turret, Jonathan, I found that sequence to be the hardest on my second run-through, because I was trying to get the achievement not to go below 50 percent hull integrity. And that was really tough. I basically had to get really good at that sequence, and had to get really good with the turrets in order to do it above 50 percent.

However, I just went through both those turret sequences this weekend on Impossible, and since I wasn’t worried about staying above 50%, it did them both on the first try, and they weren’t all that hard. But maybe that’s because of all the practice I got on the last run-through. It is possible that you might run into a brick wall there. On impossible difficulty, I did notice that each asteroid or debris hitting the ship causes a greater amount of hull damage than on Hard difficulty. So it is possible that you might find it very hard.

tell me if i’m just making this up, but i seem to recall some complaints about this game at launch that you couldn’t replay the game on different difficulty levels with acquired upgrades, perks, ect… is this still the case?

Don’t have much interest in this game - but one of Visceral’s “unannounced games” is a sequel.

I’m guessing this will be exciting to some of you.

Me. I like that.

Ok, here’s what you can do: Whatever difficulty you play it on, that’s the difficulty you can play through again while keeping your acquired upgrades. What people were complaining about is that you can’t take your upgrades to a brand new difficulty level with you.

Having played through the game, I don’t really see the problem. I played through Hard, and it wasn’t all that Hard. When I played through hard again with my upgrades, it was super-easy, and I felt really, really powerful. Like the Predator stalking his prey.

When I started Impossible difficulty, it’s like starting Hard again without the upgrades, except this time I’m better at the game, so my own personal skill level has been upgraded, and I kept that, even though i didn’t keep my in-game upgrades. You understand what I’m talking about. I know you do. After you’ve played through the game, you know what’s going to happen. And knowledge is also power. More so than upgrades for your weapons and equipment.

So don’t worry about the way they’ve done the game’s upgrade system. It’s absolutely perfect the way it is. And yes, you can play through the game again with upgrades, and continue to be super powerful on your next playthrough. They don’t deprive you of feeling like you’re superman squishing the ants in your wake.

Woo! Epic Tier 3 Engineer, right here. Finished it on Impossible. The last level is excellent on impossible. Even with full upgraded equipment and weapons, it was really challenging, but still fair.

First game I’ve actually gotten 1000/1000 GS since Oblivion.

Congrats! I want to do this so bad… the Epic Tier 3 Engineer and nothing-but-the-cutter achievements are singing gently in my ear like sirens.

But how did you get through impossible with fully upgraded equipment and weapons?

You get enough nodes in the game (especially if you sell most things you don’t need to buy more nodes) to upgrade all your basic equipment and plasma cutter, plus one more weapon. For the weapon, I went with the Line Gun, since it’s really good in crowd control situation, which is the plasma cutter’s biggest weakness.

Obviously, I didn’t mean all possible weapons. That, you can’t do in one run.

I never had to buy health, and only rarely had to buy ammo. I even sold some health packs and anything else I found to get more nodes. In the end, I even upgraded the flamethrower a bit over half way since I had lots of extra money at the end and didn’t need ammo. The flamethrower was a bit of a waste though, since it wasn’t all that useful in the last level. Even with full damage the flamethrower doesn’t do enough damage to be very effective against the strongest enemies you fight in the end.

I’m kinda thinking of checking this game out, but I really dislike scary movies and games. To put it in perspective Bioshock was borderline too scary/weird/freaky for me to enjoy. Obviously games like Silent Hill are completely out, since I just don’t dig on that stuff.

I’m wondering if dead space is more RE5 like in being a constrained action game to create tension, or if it is more some freak show horror blood fest.

Any advice and some comparisons would be great. (I know I can just buy it used and return it if I don’t like it, but I would prefer to get a new copy).

Boy, it’s tough to tell what’ll scare you merryprankster. But I say this game is definitely worth your time. For me the game wasn’t about horror/story/immersion. It was about amazing graphics, astounding sound, crisp controls and awesome gameplay mechanics. It took me a while to warm up to the game, but around Chapter 4 or 5, I got seriously hooked on this game.

Some of the things that happen in the game are startling though. Very startling, because of the violins in the soundtrack and the sudden jumping out of enemies. Like I said, not scary, but definitely startling. I’m not sure where you stand on that, but I’d think you’d be able to take it.

And if you do go for it. I hope you’ll still continue to play Co-op RE5 with me. :) We’ve still got more black people to kill!

Barring the jumpy opening 2 minutes, I didn’t think this game was remotely scary. There are a lot of freaks and blood, though.

I “let” Dead Space scare me. I only played it in the dark with the surround sound turned way up. Add in a little suspension of disbelief and try to put yourself in Issac’s metal shoes and I was able to get more than a few scary moments.

The atmosphere is top notch, especially the sound design. Its also a very fun game. Issac is much more capable than the character in Silent Hill and there are only a few moments when the combat gets really hectic (and those moments are more fun than frustrating). I loved it.

I did this too, and didn’t feel it in the slightest. For reference, I scare pretty easily at games - I like stuff like Project Zero and Siren a lot, but those games are almost unplayably tense for me a lot of the time. Dead Space has absolutely nothing like that, because you control a dude in an iron suit with incredibly powerful weapons and smooth controls to boot.

I like the game just fine, but to me it’s basically a shooter.

While I agree with you on the scariness level of Dead Space, I disagree with the implication that less smooth controls would have made for a scarier game. I realize a lot of people feel that way about games like Silent Hill and other Japanese games where the lack of precision controls is part of what makes the game scary for them, but I always felt that it worked the opposite way for me.

In Silent Hill 2, for example, you have a game with excellent visuals and incredible atmosphere with the fog and the eerie loneliness of the town. And then you encounter your first enemy. And for me, that moment is when all immersion goes out the window, because I’m constantly being reminded by the game “I’m just a game, and I’m hard to control because you can’t get your thumbs to do what you want me to do”. It stops feeling like an experience to me at that point, and the fog and the atmosphere and everything else about the game suddenly becomes meaningless because I’m constantly being reminded that I’m playing a hard-to-control game. So for me, it kills any sense of fear or atmosphere that I feel.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am gonna track down a copy of this.

(don’t worry Rock8, I’m always up for some zombie/infected killin. :)