Dead Space (no spoliarz)

It was a while back I played the PC version, but the fact that you have fixed the V synch issue leads me to believe there is a certain lack of control regardless, which is what I experienced too.

I became better at dealing with the rogue camera and just treated it in my mind as if I would have trouble maneuvering myself in a space suit and that’s why this was occurring. It had the effect of making it difficult at times to get my enemies lined up in my sights, but, as I said, I did get better at orienting myself. The end result was it made combat more difficult (but as your skills in orienting yourself improve, you are better suited to handle the more challenging combat that’s thrown at you) - and in a tense game like this, that was actually a good thing.

I could see getting on the verge of getting queasy, luckily I’m not affected by games that way.

I’d say stick with it because you seem to be enjoying the game a lot, and hopefully you will find an improvement as your skill ramps up so that the camera will be less of a problem. But, I will say, it felt like I was fighting the camera throughout the game, so it never goes away entirely.

Edit: The way you describe getting yourself oriented sounds right to me to, though it’s a while since I played. It’s certainly not intuitive and you’ll have to experiment to find a way to improve your movement and aiming. I felt like a drunken sailor (sorry, all you sailors out there!) - in that it seemed like my course constantly needed correcting. Say - one thing I think I remember, isn’t there a command to do a 180 degree turn? I didn’t discover it until well into the game, but when you are running from critters that are pursuing you and either get to a corner or want to engage them, doing a 180 was a lot easier way to get yourself positioned than lumbering about like a billiard ball.

I’m a pussy when it comes to these types of games and so I can only play a little at a time. But an hr in(of actual playtime) and I’m liking it a lot. The audio is awesome and makes it way scarier when I’m on my headphones. What’s the playtime to finish it?

I think I logged 15 hours though I think I’m a little slower than most.

I think my first playthrough was also around 15 hours on Hard. Then I played through it again on Hard to get fully upgraded, and that was much shorter, around 8 or 9 hours at most. And then I played through it a third time on the hardest unlocked difficulty, and that was the shortest playthrough because I was an old hat at the game by then, and it only took me around 6 or 7 hours I think.

That was me, on hard. But I was spending a lot of time looking at stuff and being jumpy.

Alright, I’m late to the party on this one. I’ve logged a whopping two hours on this game and it just isn’t working for. I can’t stand the narrow field of view and the sluggish controls drive me insane with rage. I’m playing the PC version and I find the controls… annoying regardless of whether I’m using the 360 gamepad or mouse and keyboard.

Should I stick it out and hope that I can get used to the controls or should I just set it down. Lots of people seemed to have really enjoyed this game. I dont know, maybe horror/survival games just aren’t for me. I hated the Silent Hill games with a passion and this one gives me a similar vibe. I’m just reluctant to give up without at least giving the game a fair shake.

PS: I’ve disabled vsync and put a good deal of effort into tweaking the controls. I don’t think there’s much more I can do other than get used to them, which seems pretty unlikely to me.

Interesting, because I just started playing it as well and I’m surprised at how fluid the controls are for a non-FPS. I find the whole aiming system to be really intuitive and I’ve been able to more or less hit the limbs of the monsters like you’re supposed to unless they get too close. The main character does seem to plod a bit but I guess I don’t expect him to be doing backflips and stuff since he’s wearing that bulky suit.

If you have nVidia, disable V-Sync in game (that limits you to 30fps) and go to nVidia control panel and enable V-Sync there specifically for this game.It will run in 60fps and the controls will be great (at least that is the way in my case).If you have ATi, you have to get used to it.

Does it support any game pad or only 360 game pad? I don’t have a console, but I’d rather play this from a couch. I had mixed results with X-padder and some games so I’m not going to rely on that.

So I’m kind of using this as a change of pace from Demon’s Souls and I’m digging it. It’s not particularly scary, despite some brilliant sound design, which is good as I’m generally not good at being scared. It is gross and has made me jump a couple of times though. It also ploughs that well-worn Alien furrow of opressively claustrophobic industrial spaceships with aplomb. The ship feels like a consistent environment, and it’s cool that I actually feel like my team are doing stuff and get to see them from time to time. I dig the videolink stuff. Again, it’s your standard helpful commlink chaps, but done well. I’ve only used the line gun and plasma cutter, and don’t see much need for anything else yet - they’re effective and fun to use if you aim right. Again, solid.

I’m up to Chapter 4. The first arrival at the key area in this chapter is a bit of a wow moment, after all the tunnel-crawling previous. I actually like that my guy is a big lumbering brute, particularly with his gravity boots on. I wish he talked though. It’s weird and kind of needless that he’s so quiet. This got brought up in depth earlier in the thread and seems to be a bone of contention, but I definitely think he might want to talk to the guys on his team. I mean, if you read the objective text, it’s written from his perspective and he has a bit of a voice. I think that could have been brought through a touch with a light dose of voice work.

Does anyone know how to adjust the FOV on the PC for this game? For the first time ever, I am getting seriously sick trying to play this game. I have tried googling this, and I find a lot of people asking, but nobody answering.

I don’t but I was literally motion sick for hours after playing Dead Space 2. Had to just uninstall it. Dead Space was a bit off but the sequel was terrible in that respect - never happened to me with any other game.

Yeah, this is the first time I have ever had this problem. Never with any other game.

I think it’s a lot like RE5 in that it works best if you downgrade to 1080p because that’s what the game was designed around in terms of camera perspective. Worth trying, anyway, even if it is PC heresy.

So I’m really getting the itch to run through the Dead Space series one more time (yeah, probably should see a doc about that) now that I own a digital copy of each again and can play on my Xbone. I remember I loved these games so much and it’s been a while. Also, there’s this:

So maybe there’s a competitive aspect involved as well. But I’ve never totally understood the plot to these games, not really. A long time ago they found a market, but it made people crazy so they buried it on another planet. Then they dug it up accidentally with the planet cracking ship, and it made everyone crazy again, and resurrected their bodies as evil monsters that killed everyone. Then Isaac and crew come along and the marker was actually a copy? So he blows that up and the company kidnaps him to make another one and … yeah, I probably need to play again just to try to keep this crap straight.

I really would love to play the sequel now that it’s also backward compatible on XB1. I really hope they offer it as a free game on EA Access soon.

I wonder if you’ll find Impossible difficulty really hard @divedivedive? I had a fairly easy time with it, since I’d just played through the game on Hard twice, and Impossible wasn’t much of a jump for me after being so familiar with the game already. But you’re going in cold. Good luck!

I’m sure I will find Impossible very difficult, if only because I’m coming in cold. I only played through the first game once, and that was back around release. Still, I’m kind of feeling cocky after knocking out Alien: Isolation. Different kind of game, I know, but similar sort of feel and atmosphere. Gotta at least try I think.

This thread is an interesting trip down memory lane. Thinking back on it, this is still, in 2017, the only third person game I’ve ever played where I was as comfortable with the controls as a 1st person shooter. Gosh, this game was so good.

Yeah this is a fun thread to wander through. I was going back to look at earlier impressions just because I kind of wanted to try it again, and looks nine years ago me was not quite as high on the game, guess time has increased its stature in my memory. Then I saw your post taunting me across the years and I says to myself, Self, this aggression will not stand. So I need to see what I’m made of.

Yeah, that stuff was intense. The Dead Space games had a real skill at ramping things up. In addition to the crazy corpse aliens though, I really loved the world and lore they built, with this amazing sci-fi future that’s almost like an extension of Alien’s lived-in, utilitarian look but then ruled over by twin totalitarian forces of the earth government and the church. It was damn near as bleak as WH40K.