Dead Space (no spoliarz)

Remake announced

It’s pretty cool that they value this high enough for it to be the “one more thing” teaser at the end of their conference. It kind of shows that they still think (hope?) that it will be super popular again.

That teaser has the look of a game that’s still at least two years out.

I loved one and two, can’t wait.

The trip mines are much harder to use strategically than I would have thought.

You have to place them far away from one another for one thing, otherwise the explosion from one will set off the other, wasting a mine. Secondly, enemies will go around the trip mine, most of them, unless you specifically bait them into going over it. But that requires standing near it, but if you’re near it when it goes off, you die along with the enemy, so you have to stand near it, and then back away. But you can’t back away into another mine you laid down.

Anyway, I stopped overthinking it and just lay down three mines at the start of the battle and switch to the other weapons now. But on the other hand, I still can’t win this battle, so maybe that was not a good strategy after all.

Still fun to try to figure this out though. All these monsters coming at me also drop loot. And I want to pick that up during the battle as well, because I have to leave the room at the end of the fight, so anything I don’t pick up is lost. Maybe I’m being too greedy by trying to pick up the loot as well? Hmmm.

Glad to see that Schofield (one of the original Dead Space creators) is cool with the remake. I guess if you were cynical you might think, well what else was he going to say? But good thing we aren’t cynical around here.

So I guess we’ll keep using this thread to talk about the new game for the time being, why not:

Looking at the list of folks involved, I see a bunch of Assassin’s Creed and Mass Effect veterans, make of that what you will.

This isn’t a remaster, they’re calling it a “reimagining”. So based on the game but rebuilt with new stuff presumably.

One interesting thing is I wonder if they’ll voice Isaac Clarke now in this one. Having him have an actual character in 2 and 3 was definitely the right call, I think.

They’re going to show off a really really early build today apparently. Starts in about 3 hours and 20 minutes on something called twitch.

Confirmed that they are developing the game on the Frostbite engine. I doubt anyone is surprised.

Indeed a very early build is being shown.

Also confirmed, no microtransactions. That aspect of Dead Space 3 can remain an unpleasant memory.

Oh wow, Gunner Wright is returning to voice Isaac! That’s cool.

Wait, I thought Isaac was silent throughout the original Dead Space?

Yes, Isaac was not voiced in the original game, but was played by Gunner Wright in 2 & 3. The developers did point out that Isaac would still be mostly alone in the remake, but that he would interact in discussions and would also speak at times when it would feel weird that he would not. So no Gordon Freeman psycho stare.

Quoting myself to point out that what I said here was not entirely correct. It turns out that Gunner Wright did in fact voice Isaac Clarke in the first Dead Space. But Isaac Clarke had no lines, you might be saying - true, but he did grunt and gasp and make various pained sounds, which were done by the same actor in all three games.

“Dead Space is a sci-fi horror survival game that was once a crown jewel of EA’s properties…”

EA was immediately disappointed in Dead Space for not hitting the Resident Evil sales figures that they wanted, which is why the series got pulled in weird Uncharted and Left 4 Dead directions in its sequels. EA leadership had insane targets at this time – this came out the same year they were expecting God of War sales from a game based on Dante’s Divine Comedy.

Loosely based. But yes.