Deadwood

Watched it again and liked it a lot more.

— Alan

I was thinking of watching it a second time as parts of it seemed to go by real fast in places. Good to know it holds up upon a second viewing, I did like it the time I watched it.

I missed the first episode, caught the second one.

I was impressed.

What’s up with Calamity Jane falling apart though?

i think Jane’s just way, way out of her depth in Deadwood.
Swearengen’s a cold bastard and Jane realized that she had absolutely
no chance against him- remember that her guns were slung over a chair,
a problem compounded when she got up and moved toward the door
to confront Swearengen.
Has anyone managed to figure out the date in Deadwood yet?
I’m trying to figure out when/if Wild Bill will die onscreen. He’s
obviously being set up for a dramatic fall, one that came on August
2, 1876 in Deadwood in our history.
I love the show, but I do have to wonder if “the good guys”
(however that can be defined) will ever catch a break. So far we’ve
seen two episodes of Swearengen cleaning up loose ends and
generally throwing his weight around. The two “moral victories” of
the show- the killing of Ned Mason and the “rescue” of the girl-
have only mildly inconvenienced Swearengen and ended up costing
another life (Persimmon Pete).

edit: I was thinking “Kill Bill” when I should have been typing “Wild Bill”

I agree with Carnifex regarding Jane. She was totally out of her element during that situation. I’m surprised she wasn’t killed then, not like she could have done anything to prevent an attempt.

As for Pete’s situation. That doesn’t make sense. He knew how dangerous Swearengen was and he was rightfully afraid of him. Why on earth walk up to him to shake his hand?

I’m kinda hoping Will Bill makes it through the series.

I love this show. I believe if I had only HBO I could be happy.

I watched it at 1:00a, however, and the shot of the guy and his “member” was almost more than I could take.

No use going on about how great the cast is. Last week’s thoughts about the ensemble’s quality performances can be echoed for this week. Sufficed to say, all the good stuff was not jammed into the first episode. Too often, new series have great debuts and then trail off. Deadwood is a keeper.

Olyphant is the man. He’s like a radiator hissing through the cap and all it will take is the slightest nudge to send him spewing all over the place. I imagine he will let loose every few episodes on some poor soul and then resume the controlled seething. The play between him and his partner is excellent.

Did I say “great show” yet?

Spoilers in a way I guess.

Good guys eventuallly win. Seth Bullock was the first Sheriff of Deadwood, and runs all the ruffians out. Also goes on to own a hotel I believe. Teddy Roosevelt eventaullly appoints him as the US Marshall of South Dakota.

Also in a turn of irony, I believe Calamity Jane saves Jack McCall and crew from an indian attack, only for him to end up killing Wild Bill later on.

I will. Great fucking show. There is no better TV night than Sunday. HBO is the ever-luvvin’ anti-Fox. Olyphant is simply too badass for words. That staredown he had with Swearinger was awesome. When Wild Bill trusts you to handle watching his back, you’re the man. The actor who plays Swearinger is pretty damn good at it, himself. I’m really enjoying Brad Dourif’s slightly insane, noble-or-mad Doc.

I love it when shows create people you can’t wait to get killed, like that dipshit card player making faces at Wild Bill. Please shoot him a lot. I liked the dialogue between the Mr. and Mrs Fancy Pants, as well: “I do believe I have been duped!” “Oh, that must be terrible for you (sneaks opium swig).”

Someone needs to figure out which HBO shows kills the most people on average, Six Feet Under, Sopranos, or Deadwood. Tough call.

I tried to avoid gushing over every character in my post. Thanks for doing it for me Bill.

Ditto on the Doc. I had no idea Dourif had that in him. The quirkiness, sure, but the intensity with which it was delivered last night was superb.

Ditto on Swearinger. Although, I hate knowing he will never really “get his” as the primary antagonist.

Ditto again on the stare down. I thought he was going to let him get off scott free and then as he walked out he gave him the shoulder brush. As long as Olyphant has one scene like that per episode, I will be a happy camper.

I think I love every actor and character on this show. I can’t wait to see some of the minor players get expanded upon. Like Woo the heathen washer/pig farmer/garbage disposal, Larry (sans brothers Daryl) from Newhart as the Hotel Owner, the Swearinger’s flunky - both of them actually, the card player taunting Wild Bill, and especially the earnest as hell preacher-man.

Plus scenes like that stare down will keep me riveted. I love Swearinger’s slow burn. Calamity Jane might be the most interesting female character TV has seen since Janice Soprano.

OZ takes the cake over any of those listed above when it comes to body count.

And just wait till Adewale Akinuoye-Agbaje shows up on Deadwood! :wink:

Add my vote to the rounds of “Great Show.” I agree the cast as a whole is top-notch, but Ian McShane (Swearengen) is just brilliant. The hooded menace in his gaze…outstanding. He chills me more than any Sopranos/Scorsese mobster ever did.

Best villian (all visual media) since Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber (Die Hard).
Since David Boreanaz as Angelus (Buffy, Season 2) if limited to television.

It is Swearengen, right? Bill wrote Swearenger. (Typo probably). Then I just copied that out of laziness and then Bub put “Swearenger”. Budd has brought us back around. If this thread keeps up throughout the season, the character’s last name could end up being Smith.

[quote=“VegasRobb”]

OZ takes the cake over any of those listed above when it comes to body count.[/quote]

In my spelling research, I found an official Deadcount which includes a running count as well as a description for the better known killings.

Deadwood Deadcount

EDIT:

Also, Best Lines .

“That man’s gun never left his holster Mr. Hickok.”

“He meant me harm.”

“You killed my brother…”

"And now I killed you.”
—Stapleton, Hickok & Tom Mason

Mmm…mmm good.

This one was great, too:

“You don’t want to interfere with me."

“You think I’m scared of you?”

"Sure you are. And if I take a knife to you you’ll be scared worse and a long time dying.”
—Al Swearengen & Calamity Jane

Swearengen really can be incredibly menacing simply with his eyes.

What exactly is a “road agent”?

Road Agent? I’d say it’s a brigand, brandit, outlaw, highwayman.
And y’know Tyjenks, I’d almost prefer that the villain were named Smith. You know, rather than Swearenfarenginer

And what exactly is a ‘squarehead’? Obviously a epithet of some sort, but I’m unfamiliar.

And another question regarding Calamity Jane. Over at GoneGold I was sort of laughed at because I said I thought the actress was doing a great job in that role. I mentioned that I thought her character was written a little weak, but I wasn’t mistaking weak writing with weak acting.

Do you all feel she’s a terrible actress? Some guys at GG thought she was abhorrent. I rather like her character, the way she talks, and her confused demeanor.

I got the impression that “squarehead” was a derogatory term for Minnesota/Wisconsin Swedes.