Deadwood

Took me awhile to figure out this was the same super-short haired chick in Hollow Man.

I noticed a lot of people like her pretending to be high. Hmm…

— Alan

For a second there I read this wrong. I figured you lived in some lovely land where you’re surrounded by lots of women who look like Alma, all pretending to be high. During this moment I wanted to come visit your house.

Me too.

— Alan

Just got to watch last week’s. Best exchange.

“Be brief.”

“Be fucked.”

Bullock is cool. I like EB’s character too. He sees whats going on, but doesn’t quite know how to take charge of the situation himself.

And I’m curious to see what happens with the “brother and sister”. Did they say they were pulling a con?

Sounded like it. They talked about doing something at both places, so I’d imagine they’re going to either pull some sort of scam or a simple robbery. Both places are heavy on gambling, so probably a straightforward heist. Be pretty hard to scam either Al or Cy.

They are really weaving things together and settling into a nice “series-ish” pace.

I like the way Al threatens and pushes all of his pawns, but knows just when to pull back and let them get away with a thing or two. Initially, I would have assumed his character would have killed EB and Trixie and any number of others by now. At first, I thought maybe their value won out over his tyrannical anger during a confrontation. I now suspect that anger is a tool he can whip out and then put away to serve his purposes.

The new girl and boy in town and their motives look like they are going to affect half the characters in the show. Can’t wait. I just hope she and Joanie don’t ever have a saucy lettle scene. That would be horrible and offensive.

(spoilers)

Yeah, they’re a con-team, and doubtful that they are actually even brother and sister. The goody two-shoes thing is a cover. The girl is obviously a bit more hard core than her pretty bonnet would indicate :)

I loved the part where Al’s bartender (i always forget his name) takes a jealous attitude towards the girl, and knifes the fellow who kept staring at her … “I warned him to stop staring at her Al. I warned him!” hehe. Then Al: “two free drinks for everybody! and free drinks all night for whoever helps clean this up” :lol:

How freakin’ cool is Charlie Utter? This show has a fantastic cast.

great exchange:

Charlie: “can I come back and tell Bill some stuff tomorrow?”

Jane: “sure. what the fuck are you askin’ me for? I don’t make the fuckin’ rules!”

lol. god i love this show.

You’re just saying that because you’re in it. Take your viral marketing
elsewhere, shill- we want none of it here!

:P

You’re just saying that because you’re in it. Take your viral marketing
elsewhere, shill- we want none of it here!

:P[/quote]

True, true. Say … anyone have any videos of 14 year old boys? :)

“Point made with the snatch-grabbing, okay.”

Ahh man I love this show. Swearengen talking to himself and “the gimp” about Trixie while scrubbing is one of the great moments in this episode. He’d never admit it, but he’s friggin worried.

— Alan

Powers Boothe was frightening tonight.
Great performance, though it was perhaps somewhat aided by the fact that I’d just returned from Man on Fire and was perhaps anticipating the interrogation/murder scene.

Well it was just a matter of time before it was going to happen.

I find it interesting that the “toughest” guys in the show have such vulnerabilities when it comes to women (Olyphant, Swearengen, Boothe, and the guy who does Al’s killing). Seems that the only through and through tough guy is the Doctor. Or maybe he’s the only one who really doesn’t give a damn?

Well, the Doctor drinks the Juice of Sapphoo, which allow his thoughts to acquire speed. Therefore, he can stay a step or two ahead of the others.

I find it interesting that the “toughest” guys in the show have such vulnerabilities when it comes to women (Olyphant, Swearengen, Boothe, and the guy who does Al’s killing). Seems that the only through and through tough guy is the Doctor. Or maybe he’s the only one who really doesn’t give a damn?[/quote]

Actually, I was going the other way with this- I’ve been lamenting the lack of strong female characters. Every single woman on the show stands in a man’s shadow. I was hopeful of the widow Garrett at first, but now she’s moved into Bullock’s orbit, so so much for that.

Jane was initially a strong character, but between her alcoholism and needing to change her pants after meeting Swearengen, I was disappointed. Now she’s being increasingly paired with Charlie Utter, which relegates her to the same accessory status as the other women.

I realize this is symptomatic of the times, etc- it’s just depressing to see.

I find it interesting that the “toughest” guys in the show have such vulnerabilities when it comes to women (Olyphant, Swearengen, Boothe, and the guy who does Al’s killing). Seems that the only through and through tough guy is the Doctor. Or maybe he’s the only one who really doesn’t give a damn?[/quote]

Actually, I was going the other way with this- I’ve been lamenting the lack of strong female characters. Every single woman on the show stands in a man’s shadow. I was hopeful of the widow Garrett at first, but now she’s moved into Bullock’s orbit, so so much for that.

Jane was initially a strong character, but between her alcoholism and needing to change her pants after meeting Swearengen, I was disappointed. Now she’s being increasingly paired with Charlie Utter, which relegates her to the same accessory status as the other women.

I realize this is symptomatic of the times, etc- it’s just depressing to see.[/quote]

Is Trixie showing some signs of life then?

I think that "going back to willingly Al and getting naked and climbing in the bed after putting the gold on the nightstand counts as a bit of a ‘no’.

I think that "going back to willingly Al and getting naked and climbing in the bed after putting the gold on the nightstand counts as a bit of a ‘no’.[/quote]

But she did slap the shit out of him. I guess that was payback for the snatch-grabbing.

Yeah, the Trixie/Al dynamic just got more intersting. Before, it just kind of seemed like he “owned” her, when he beat her early and she’d sleep with him.

Now, it seems a lot more co-dependant in disguise. Al’s reactions to her going missing and the subsequent return. Hell, the fact that she decides to return at all when handed a lump of golf-laced rock and the option to leave town. But when she gives him the rock, and he forces her to let him see she tried to kill herself, then she slaps him and he just takes it and pulls back the covers for her.

I love how Al has pulled back from ruthless bastard full throttle, full time. It somehow makes him more sinister. It was fun watching him “help” edit the paper.

Well, I’ve finally caught up with this. All that effort with BT just to agree with the previous poster, but, yes, it is interesting how Al’s evolved from a Tony Soprano-like ruthless bastard, into the type of ruthless bastard that colonialism and expansion brings - not so much immoral as amoral. (Personally, I’m thinking Cecil Rhodes or any railroad baron as an exemplar here).