Dear Developers - Let me make a home!

Achievement points leave me cold, but in game trophies displayed in my house are awesome! You remember how in games like Baldurs Gate it would track the “Most Powerful Foe Slain” for each character? You could do that with individual weapons. Mount a sword on the wall (Skyrim style), and little plaque appears underneath “Slayed Yagor the Frost Giant” or “Wielded by the Dragonborn in the Battle of Iron Keep”. XCOMs nicknames showed how a little of that kind of customization can go a long way.

Wasn’t Playstation Home supposed to do that for some games? Maybe it does, I’d have no idea as I haven’t been in it for two years.

Right before we quit EQ2 due to server merges of the PvP servers, etc., my wife and I had purchased a humongous house in Qeynos. We merged all of our stuff into it, but it was all in boxes when we quit. For all I know, it’s still there, with boxes and boxes of decorations and furniture laying around…

LOTRO had a nice implementation of housing and decoration as well, the only downside to the LOTRO system was that you were locked to certain spots that you could put your decorations; whereas in EQ2 you could put things anywhere.

But; again, UO had the best implementation, and they were the first as well. The biggest drawback in UO Was that after a few months there were houses EVERYWHERE which ruined parts of the game. I remember early on we used to build hunting ‘cabins’ using just bookshelves etc, so that mobs would be gated — even though some bags of flour would’ve done the job ;)

I’m in the same boat here. I would immediately jump on the opportunity to play an MMO with proper housing. In fact, any MMO that is persistent world instead of just a WOW clone would do.

I’ve had pretty much the same experiences that most mention here, with UO being the most noticeable. I would like to add that Star Wars:Galaxies did this part really good too, IMO. Architect was even a primary class. Of course UO and SW:G share it’s heritage, so it’s not much of a surprise.

The housing itself is only part of the attraction for me. Running a local business (vendor) is a major part of the appeal as well. I spent months training a blacksmith in UO to Grandmaster level, so that I could label my swords, just in order to create a shop on Fire Island with swords labeled “Made by the Devil”. They sold like hot cakes…

These days only Minecraft seems to scratch this particular itch.

I am still playing minecraft these days. I have a fair list of games in my steam back log, but I keep getting sucked back into minecraft. The main reason is that minecraft is one of the only games to really let you build and create what you want. I have built countless kinds of homes. Homes under lakes, in deep caves, palaces in the desert, very odd castles in the forests, etc… I just do not make homes, I make bases or perhaps facilities is a better term. I have manufacturing centers, refineries (process raw materials into more usable building blocks), automated farms and resource production, etc… I love this kind of stuff because not only do I get to build things like buildings and bridges, I get to play with mechanics and build complex machines / systems. Of course this means I run a lot of mods.

I would love to see a more “professional” minecraft like game. My biggest gripes with minecraft and something I would like to have a single game that implements the complexity and freedom of minecraft without all the headaches of mods breaking when the game updates and waiting for new mod versions (I am looking at you IC2) that work with the new version. The other problem is a lot of mods duplicate effort. For example in my current world I think I have 4 versions of copper, 4 versions of tin, and 2 versions of silver.

Now if this were all done by a single company I wouldn’t have any of those issues. Id love to see new games where building / creating are the major themes with a nice big dose of exploration thrown in. Id even pay a monthly fee if it meant a continuous stream of updates that added more things to build (via mechanics, not just strait content) and more things to explore without having to deal with a bunch of independent mods. Throw in easy multi-player worlds (with just your friends) and you just might have me for life.

Does anyone here play Entropia Universe? Presumably there’s lots of customization possibilities there (maybe even thieving stuff, dunno).

This is spot on. It boggles the mind that some AAA studio hasn’t tried to duplicate Minecraft with a real graphics engine, complete with the features found in all the popular mods. A game like that would also dovetail perfectly with the microtransaction trend. The DLC would be an incredible cash cow, allowing players to buy updated skins, textures, engines, railways, etc. I guess the new SimCity is operating on this same general idea, but it seems so limited. Surely someone is working on this?

Of course not. There are a bunch of game ideas out there that would be awesome and none of them are being worked on by real studio. That is one with a decent staff of developers and artists opposed to a very tiny team or single developer. In other words a studio that is capable of developing a AAA title.

For example, where is the AAA version of Dwarf Fortress? You know, one with real graphics and a sane UI? This game has been around and known for many years, yet no one has jumped on it. Yes the whole minecraft world is yet another golden opportunity as much as DF is, yet I have no doubt that it will not be jumped on by a larger studio who could turn it into something wonderful. Heck, the entire game and mods is written in Java which is reverse compileable. Not that I think it would be very ethical to do that, but at least they could gain an understanding where to start and how to structure things. People obviously want Dungeon Keeper 3 to mention another. A good question is, why hasn’t any larger studio / publisher jumped on any of these?

I’m still amazed there’s no competitor to The Sims. Dozens of studios have formed, tried to put out a WOW-clone, and sunk into anonymous bankruptcy, but there’s been basically no real attempt to follow up on the success of The Sims (other than more Sims, of course).