Dear Japanese Devs: Fuck you. Love, Charles

Mobs of what?

mobiles

A mob of level 8 mobiles?! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Hee hee. Thanks for that Zylon. When I briefly dabbed in MMRPGs, that was my biggest pet peeve: people calling all hostile things ‘mobiles’ (or mob for short). That really bugged the hell out of me.

And now it seems people are actually transferring that to single player RPGs. No more of that please! Stop it right now! I know they’re able to move, but please don’t call them mobiles! I beg you. (Or mobs, same difference).

Fur-covered crocodile? Sold!

On topic: This has never bothered me, ever. I never even noticed.

Gee, I wasn’t even aware something like this was even an issue at all, let alone something people demand as standard. I’ve never even recognized in a game before.

I’m guessing it’s a pretty nationwide thing, it’s probably so low on Square Enix and most Japanese developer’s radar that unless you scream from the rooftops, you’re unlikely to get it fixed.

The one option I think should be standard in every game is if it has voice acting, there must be subtitles, at least as an option. It’s terrible for a deaf gamer to have to miss out on parts of a game because they can’t hear what they’re supposed to do/what’s going on with the plot/what on earth is happening in the game at that point. Perhaps it’s just something that doesn’t cross developer’s minds, but when it happens, it always incenses me for how careless it is.

I’m guessing this is like that? shrugs

And the flicker filter makes sure that text, menu items and other parts of the game don’t shimmer and stay solid, which is a problem in quite a few PS2 games. Once you start playing in those games, you tend to notice it, but if you turn it on, I think you’ll instantly notice the difference. At least on a TV like mine.

-Kitsune

This mob totally aggroed my tank while I was trying to buff with my caster toon! After throwing a few dots up and pulling it away with my ranger, I pwned it…

Welcome to FFXII. Fo reals.

I am with Charles on the inverse controls thing. Another thing I’ve seen on
occasion is inversed inversion - everything is actually like I want it by
default, but I see the ‘inverse controls’ option isn’t on and check it…then
when I start the game it’s ass backwards. AAAARGH!

Kitsune’s point about subtitles is important, but it also reminds me of
another thing specific to consoles: If the game has Japanese dialog in its
original version, please include it in the western release. Sometimes I just
can’t take the American actors. Atlus have been nice about this.
There’s certainly room for two sets of speech on most game discs.

Doh! I somehow missed that paragraph.

I’m with Charles on this one.

Is it just developer laziness? They just don’t care? Arrogance?

Whatever the reason it’s damn annoying as hell. I do NOT want to get use to the FFXII controls because that would basically screw me up for EVERY OTHER GAME I play.

If you got used to the FFXII controls, wouldn’t you then just switch in the other games (assuming it’s an option of course)?

No, because there’s a way that feels natural and a way that feels forced. Even though I’m finally (after six hours) at the point where I’m not moving the camera the wrong way all the time, the fact is I’m still consciously forcing myself to move it in a way that my brain tells me is incorrect.

god bless you charles.

you and i are on the exact same page. i don’t have the time to put in an extra 1/2 and hour to a full hour for my brain to adjust – every time i pick up the damn game.

there are more than enough quality games:

1. that do things right
  2. that hold my attention rapt
  3. that are chock full of enough gameplay to fill twice my leisure time

i personally don’t need, nor want to play yet another game that respects neither my time nor preferences.

…oh, and ninja gaiden is another horrendous offender.

m3mnoch.

So this is two pages of whining now?

I’m all for having options, but if you play with the game enough, you’ll get it. This isn’t even Save Anywhere vs Checkpoint Save good whining. Let it go peoples!

:P

I agree with wanting options, but I think applying flight-sim controls to an FPS is just weird.

Dude, it was an epic mob, even.

Translated that for ya.

I can distinguish between various types of first-person games (and what they’re simulating). Sorry you can’t :) (no, I don’t really mean that – it’s just a fitting reply).

I play so many different games that I have the same problem as Damien. The camera will feel weird, I will switch it (in the games that let me) and it feels even weirder. It’s all downhill after that. My solution is to try to only play three or four games at any one time. Playing Steambot Chronicles, Digital Devil Saga, FFXII and Chibi-Robo at the same time will either break you, or break you. Few modern games have worse controls than Steambot.

Anyway, this camera shit is nothing compared to the fact that I cannot navigate menus with the analog stick. I thought that they just overlooked this in Dirge of Cerberus due to laziness, but now I am convinced that it is a plot by Squenix to drive me batshit insane.

I own 2 Diamond back Razors, one i bought in an Aplpe store which is white and another from Best Buy. The regular blue one from best buy has the option to invert man. Fucking badass mouse with ALL the goodies you could want and you can get one to fix all the games right now- Hope this helps! [course it does :D]

edit OPK i actually looked at my blue n black razor… its a Copperhead. I can invert with the push of a button >D