Dear Leader

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=442

On my way to work Wednesday morning, I looked up and saw a giant billboard with a picture of George W. Bush and the words “OUR LEADER” under it. The first thing I thought was, when was the last time I have seen a president on a billboard? What is going on? Didn’t Saddam Hussein have his picture up everywhere? What next, a statue?

Overzealous ad exec? Clear channel sucking up for concessions? Stage one of the Limbergh Rebellion?

Wow. At first this is kinda innocuous, if goofy, but then the “Hey, fascism!” stuff starts to sink in. Anyone else find this pretty chilling?

I saw a bigger version of it and I’m pretty sure it’s a photochop.

Doesn’t smell like it. In orlando apparently:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=2736955&mesg_id=2736955

It is unfortunate that in the midst of Orwellian terror, the photographer neglected to snap a close up of the end of the sentence: “… brought to you by Clear Ch …”. Is it still HITLER/HUSSEIN when HITLER/HUSSEIN himself didn’t put up the photo?

You might as well start queuing up for liquidation right now.

:roll: Try reading the story next time, where it clearly states who sponsored the image.

Yes, trying to paint this as proof that Bush = Saddam is silly, but the original comment in the story comes across as more sarcasm than serious argument.

Still, is Clear Channel, one of the worst examples of the modern mega-corporation swallowing up all competitors, really someone you’d want your name and photo attached to?

I’d prefer Clear Channel to Enron or Halliburton.

Er… :shock:

Yes.

The American Empire proceeds apace!

You know at this point I’d almost be okay with the whole plan if they didn’t continually and spectacularly screw everything up on the execution.

That, and the fact hey’re plunging us down an economic hole.

I’m going to have to disagree with you in regards to Enron. Now, I’m mostly clueless when it comes to the full-range of in-depth business news, but Enron’s crimes seem to revolve mostly around the lengths they went to in order to cover up their true financial situation.

Shredding evidence and lying to investors are bad, bad things, don’t get me wrong. So was the impact on employees who lost huge chunks of their retirement funds because of the mismanagement.

Yet for some dumb reason I feel more threatened by Clear Channel than Enron because the latter collapsed in upon itself, whereas CC is like a growing cancer that’s infecting and swallowing all the healthy media outlets in our country one concert arena (currently: 200), radio station (currently: 1,200) or television station (currently: 37) at a time.

Although they didn’t invent the “bland music” trend in radio, they’ve done the most to push it’s boundries. Their 1,200 radio stations have a very strict list of what is “recommended” for play, which doesn’t help the lack of variety of music out there. They’ve also taken to firing many the local on-air personalities around the country, replacing them with a few employees who record a few extra bits here and there with “local flavor” and news references to make the packages pushed to all those stations appear local, rather than national.

Others have different views of the importance of preventing such homogenization in our media, and I can respect that, but for me personally, Clear Channel is a bigger threat than Enron ever was.

Obligatory link to Salon.com article on Radio’s big bully.

It looks like Clear Channel might implode under its own bloated weight.
Less listeners, less revenues.
Less revenues, more ads
More ads, less listeners and so the cycle continues.

Over simplistic yes.
But it’s an optimistic view.

Sides, I just tune in to my local college radio station if i really wanted to listen to anything not from my iPod.

I do have a question though; why do other people listen to this crap? [the radio, not the bad business]

Obviously you don’t live in California, which Enron was fleecing by manipulating the energy markets.

That had a much bigger impact on people than radio sucking more.

I’m going to have to disagree with you in regards to Enron. Now, I’m mostly clueless when it comes to the full-range of in-depth business news, but Enron’s crimes seem to revolve mostly around the lengths they went to in order to cover up their true financial situation.[/quote]
That and “burn baby, burn”, when brush fires were tearing up power lines in California just as Enron was manipulating the energy market and re-selling energy California had in the first place for a premium.

Oh, and they knew they’d be protected by “Ken Lay’s buddy Bush in the White House” (I think it’s the exact quote).

Man fuck that. I only get the magazine to look at the pictures.

Does it speak??? City 17???

From the poe-news.com forums

I do, I’m very chilled by it! You guys have been right all along!