DEATHLOOP by Arkane Lyon

Why did Martin Scorsese finally get his Oscar for an inferior remake?

I don’t dislike Deathloop, I think it’s decent even if it’s ultimately way less than what they’ve done previously, but the praise it’s getting feels a bit like a lifetime achievement award.

I like it less than any of the Dishonoreds, but I’ve had a ton of fun with Deathloop and have no regrets picking it up. It’ll almost certainly be on my Top 10 for the year. Makes me want to go back and give Prey another chance.

If you do pick up Prey again, definitely give Mooncrash a shot.

Again, I had a reasonably good time with Deathloop. I’m not angry with Deathloop, I’m more disappointed. And Mooncrash is a large part of why I’m disappointed.

But honestly, if I’m going to pick an action focused game with dope art direction and disappointing story resolution from a studio with some immersive sim pedigree released this year…I think I preferred Necromunda: Hired Gun.

Ahh, so this might be a “Give The Return of the King all the Oscars” moment while completely ignoring the two previous movies.

Prey is so good, and its DLC that kinda prototyped Deathloop is the best “New Game +” mode I’ve ever seen. Like, there are entire groups of powers and systems in Dishonered that I’ve never used since they don’t match my playstyle – Prey finds an elegant solution to this problem.

I really bounced off Prey hard, but I wonder how much of that was trying to play the game with a controller instead of mouse and keyboard.

Is there a story to Mooncrash?

Yes. It’s not an infinite roguelike situation. Like Deathloop, you’re working towards a conclusion, but it does it better, and in a way that forces you to vary your approach.

Interesting! Well, I guess it’s a good thing I played Deathloop first.

I got the “bad” ending because I blew Juliana’s head off.

Sorry guys, but all cute banter between Colt and Juliana didn’t actually generate any fatherly feelings in me.

Deathloop was OK, I don’t regret buying it. But it certainly wasn’t great, either.

But Dark Messiah was good.

I’d say a fair part, when I started playing I thought that in between the inventory and the small enemies that move erratically, the game didn’t seem console friendly.

It was the enemies that did it for me. The combat was much more frustrating than fun. I guess I went that route because I played both Dishonoreds with the controller and it was great–but I also played them non-lethal/ghost so combat wasn’t an issue in the first place.

The Bioshock games burned me out on the freeze enemy/ swap weapon to finish them off gun-play. Prey added very little new to the formula, where the Dishonored games seemed fresh and cool with the different powers and great stealth elements. From what I’ve read and seen, Deathloop and Mooncrash interest me not at all.

Dude. You’re in for such a treat.

The Mooncrash DLC is so much better than Deathloop from a design perspective. Deathloop is clearly a more advanced shooter, but the gameplay they were attempting in Deathloop is a pale washed-out shadow of what they had already accomplished in Mooncrash. Soren is spot-on when he suggests the main problem with Deathloop is Mooncrash.

-Tom

I didn’t hate my time with Deathloop. It was fine. It’s just that for most of the playthrough, I was thinking “Oh, Mooncrash did this bit better.”

All this posting about Mooncrash doing it better inspired me to make that the next game to tackle in my backlog. It’s pretty damn great so far! Thanks QT3 hivemind!

The thing about Mooncrash is…if you can get past the moon shark; you’re in.

Also I would farm/loot the science labs and living quarters and knew my way around them but would always get lost in the mining area.

I feel like I’m getting fairly close to the end of this, and I’m still having a lot of fun with the actual gameplay, but I am about ready to just wrap it up and be done. The gunplay and aggressive powers are fun, but I wish it were more satisfying to be stealthy.

So as this is Bethesda it’ll show up on Gamepass at some point? I think it’s PS ‘exclusivity’ expires in September, so hopefully then. Was going to pick it up for cash monies but I ain’t no schmo.

I picked it up for PS5 but wish I had waited for Game Pass instead, the game feels kind of mid to me.