DEATHLOOP by Arkane Lyon

Yup, that still doesn’t entirely make sense (you can play “at your own pace”, but you still have to kill 8 targets in one day, eh?), and it sounds like Optimizing a Speedrun: The Game. From the trailers it looks like there’s literally nothing to do but shoot people and upgrade your people-shooters. If there are any other systems or interactions, I haven’t seen them.

Yeah, I am in the confused camp as well.

I still have to finish Dishonored 2 and PREY, so no rush to get this. :)

It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played, like seriously. And I didn’t find the looping gameplay repetitive or terribly punishing. Well ok maybe once or twice.

I don’t get it, either, at least not for a full priced $60 title. Looks like 1v1 PvP to me.

However, I’m very concerned that they don’t understand what made Dishonored 1 and 2 special, because it was definitely not the shooty bits.

Seems like it could be a bit like The Sexy Brutale, but an immersive sim/shooter, with a bit of PvP thrown in.

From the IGN preview:

Importantly, there is only one way to kill all the targets in time. “In order to line them up there is only one solution, so really the game is a gigantic puzzle that you have to solve and in order to complete that puzzle,” said Bakaba. “There is one way to break the time loop.”

That’s disappointing. I would’ve thought Arkane would’ve opted for something more open and free-form than a single route.

Yep, which is why I am not really excited about Deathloop despite loving all Dishonored games and Prey.

But I guess they really liked Mooncrash and wanted to make a whole game out of it.

The art and creativity in trailers looks nice though.

This is why I liken it to The Sexy Brutale

I’m SO in.

Love that the lead characters are Black.

That quote makes it sound like Hitman (or how I imagine Hitman to be, since I’ve never played a Hitman game). Meaning like a puzzle game.

Importantly, there is only one way to kill all the targets in time. “In order to line them up there is only one solution, so really the game is a gigantic puzzle that you have to solve and in order to complete that puzzle,” said Bakaba. “There is one way to break the time loop.”

Well, my interest just dropped significantly.

I read somewhere that time only passes when you get a goal done.

Now, this is disappointing.

This sounds fantastic. A giant clockwork immersive sim with a narrative delivered in the Outer Wilds style has so much potential. The “single solution” doesn’t bother me as long as the game provides enough interesting dead end play space to experiment with in a given loop.

Welcome to Qt3 @thatdudeguy !

Indeed, welcome, @thatdudeguy !

Yeah I don’t mind too much if there’s only one solution, if it’s a big interesting puzzle. I wasn’t terribly interested in the game on first impression, but I’m getting there.

Thanks!

The Outer Wilds works with a single solution because it’s about solving a mystery, the player isn’t just figuring out through trial and error the one sequence of actions that works. If Deathloop works somewhat like that it could be interesting to play. If it’s just “shoot the bad guy during the 30 second window when he takes off his armor”, that just sounds tedious.

Also on the matter of Outer Wilds,

Everyone should try it unless they are incapable of curiosity and a sense of wonder. It doesn’t feel repetitive at all.

Does that seem likely?