Death's Door - new action-adventure by the makers of Titan Souls

Oh my, well done. I tried that many times and gave up, far too frustrating. I got to the third gate once, then died and woof… back to the start! FUCK THIS, I think I said. ;)

21.3 hours for 99% completion - I didn’t get the aforementioned frozen area shrine, but I got everything else including the true ending. I am usually slower than average with these things. People who just race through the game were finishing it after 6 hours. I think it took me around 16 hours to beat the final boss before going for the true ending.

Got to the top and beat the beast. And then I went through the door, since I figure the game won’t end yet since I don’t have the last ability yet that will let me have all the traversal stuff so I can collect everything. I need that last ability damn it! I’m guessing it’s some kind of teleport with all those big circular pads everywhere.

You will seriously, SERIOUSLY kick yourself when you find out what those are for. Like I did.

Not really a spoiler, but… you already have the ability to use those.
More of a spoiler… they are sewer covers.
Even more of a spoiler… you can open them, somehow, with an ability you were taught early on and probably never used.

You have GOT to be joking.

So have I screwed myself by going through the door then? Am I past the point of no return? Or is there a way back later?

EDIT: Oh hey cool, I’ve never tried this before, but when you select “Leave” after dying during a boss fight, you er… you leave! So I can still go back.

Yeah you can go back anytime. Including after the boss fight. :) But which one are you on now?

Did you figure out how to use those “pads” yet? :)

Yep, got the pads thanks to your post. And now I have all the seeds planted. And a few more pray shrines. Looks like I still have 4 more magic shrines left, 2 more health shrines, and 5 more shiny things left to find.

I assume you’ve had plenty of Jefferson’s soup to help in that regard?

I tired it about 3 times, and I think it only gives me the same 3 pieces of advice. I think I’ve already found those three?

No, the advice changes once you find the thing it’s talking about. At least that’s how it worked for me. Not sure if it covers everything in the game, that would be a lot!

Also, to save you some fruitless searching, not all shinies can be found until you have beaten the final boss.

Now down to 4 shrines and 4 shiny objects.

And I just checked the sailor again, and his 3 advice are still the same, 3 that I’ve already gotten long ago.

That’s weird, I found a bunch through him by solving each riddle and going back for the next one or two. But maybe he only has a handful and you’ve done all of those.

By the way, another thing you might want to know about tracking down secrets… it gets easier once you have beaten the final boss.

I did beat the final boss. And rang the bell. I suppose it’s a little easier.

I have to admit, it’s the first time I’m still playing a game after beating the final boss. This twist kind of makes it different from all the other games where I lose all motivation to keep going.

I did find all the shiny objects now. And an owl. And a bunch of other stuff.

Ah excellent, yes the endgame here is definitely worth doing. It’s more of an epilogue than anything else.

Speaking of abilities taught early on that I never used. Yesterday as I was exploring after beating the final boss, I re-discovered the Left Trigger and Right Trigger, neither of which I have used in the game thus far. One of them is a heavy attack! Woah. And the other is a block move, it looks like. I had no idea you could do either of those things.

Boom. True Ending. 24 hours and 32 minutes. A new Qt3 record.

I just missed 3 achievements: Beating everything with the umbrella, feeding the Frog King an explosive treat. And setting Grandma’s Pot on Fire.

I guess if I ever want to replay the game, that’s a good excuse, is to get those 3 achievements.

Excellent game. 24 days well spent.

Now onto Psychonauts 2.

Oh my, I used heavy attack all the time! It would trigger some different weapon behaviour. Oh well, something to consider for the replay. Congrats on finishing the true ending! I got the frog king and grandma achievements, but not the umbrella, metal detector or finding all the shrines, so I have a slightly different excuse to replay it. I think the umbrella replay might be fun. I wonder if it has a good heavy attack? ;)

What’s confusing to me is that you don’t start with the Umbrella. So how are you supposed to only use the Umbrella for the entire game?

I’m going through Death’s Door withdrawal now. Maybe I should re-install and start my 2nd playthrough now?

No, no. Must move on.

I love it when I find a game that does that to me. It’s a rare thing.

As long as you don’t actually use the sword you start with, picking up the umbrella is all you need to do. Apparently it glows in your inventory if your run is umbrella only.

Some BTS stuff here.