Death's Door - new action-adventure by the makers of Titan Souls

Yay! Good job wavey. Glad you got to see the post game stuff too.

I have died several more times! Although since there is no penalty actually death has sort of helped me save time because I don’t have to traipse back to the door to spend my souls.

Thanks!

I did, and it was great! But I must admit I did read a guide to find out the things I needed to do when it was night, I lacked the patience to explore and guess. For some reason I couldn’t make a dent in the various shot-improvement bosses, so they remained undone - I left it at 96% done, and I’m happy with that. I’ll be looking out for future projects from Acid Nerve (who I’ve just found out are based in my home town of Manchester!)

Yes, those are both great mechanics, I agree! :-P

Hey, this is pretty good so far. I just entered the land of the witch so I’m not far in. It feels nice and fluid.

This seems like one of the games that benefits from having achievements. I wish I didn’t buy it from Epic.

Didn’t all games on the EGS get achievements recently?

That’s what I thought was going to happen but no. I think what they did was add some kind of sitewide achievements framework so you can compare yours to other people like on steam?

Moved to “Up Next” on their Trello board on April 8, 2020.

A nice documentary / interview with the devs. There’s a (clearly marked) spoiler part which is really interesting, going into the overall lore of the world revealed by the true ending.

Ah, nice and insightful.

In other news: out now on Switch, PS5 & PS4.

Ok. Do I want this on PS5 or Switch? I really can’t decide.

Do you want a 4K image? Do you hate 30fps? Are you never going to play this portably? Then PS5.

Otherwise Switch! :)

Would probably be a nice game to play in bed.

I liked this game but thought it was a little overrated. Is it the sum of the parts for most people?

I don’t think I’ll play on to the true ending. Too many other games coming out soon.

Well, I haven’t finished it, but I thought it was Not Bad. Not really a Soulslike to me (which is how it’s often billed). Felt a lot more like a classic Zelda.

Definitely more than the sum of its parts for me. The music, visual design, difficulty curve, and pacing all fit together to make a wonderful experience.

I also liked it, but maybe less effusively than some. Wound up preferring Unsighted’s take on a similar genre mixture.

I played for maybe 3-4 hours before deciding it wasn’t doing it for me and, moved on. I just didn’t like the combat nor the exploration gameplay, which left only the charming characters and art style.

I liked this game but the overall experience was a bit uneven. I didn’t expect it to be over so quickly and was even more surprised when I saw how much I didn’t do.

Loved:
-Combat
-Art
-Music
-Difficulty
-Character progression. This is not something I usually ever enjoy in games but this has the right mix of simplicity and meaningfulness.
-Themes of death and respect for the loss of any life.
-Use of crows

Disliked:
-Isometric perspective didn’t work for me in this one
-Navigating around the map
-As a result of the above, I didn’t care to dig around for the secrets.
-Referring to this as a “souls like” which it is not, except for the literal collection of souls.

Overall I enjoyed it and it was bite-sized enough that I may decide to replay it someday in the future and try to find the things I missed.

The plot, mood, and art/music all felt very Souls-y to me. Which worked out in DD’s favor because those are my favorite aspects of the Souls games.