Deauthorizing software - arghh

Fricking a, I’m about to wipe my hard drive and remembered I have to deauthorize some software. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is iTunes, but I have 300 other programs.

Can anyone remember any other well-known software or games that need to be deauthorized?

All recent (non-free) Adobe software.

I have Photoshop Elements 4.0 but can’t find a de-authorize option. What about Office 2007? I know there are some games people were up in arms about, but for the life of me I can’t remember any.

Hmm, actually I don’t know about Elements… possibly the entry-level stuff doesn’t use activation. The activation options should be in the Help menu if they exist.

Microsoft doesn’t have an option to deactivate software AFAIK. If you try to reactivate too often for their liking they’ll just refuse and have you call them.

While we’re on the subject of deauthorising in ITunes, how the hell do I deauth a computer that no longer exists as the only mechanism I’ve found so far requires me to be on the PC I want to de auth.

[edit]Aha, my google fu is improving: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420 You have to de-auth all the computers assigned to the account and can only do it once per year:

1. Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.
  2. If you’re not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
  3. Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
  4. In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.

Far Cry 2, Sims 3? I seem to remember that the Sims 3 has a limit to the number of PCs that may connect online (to the store, exchange etc; the number of PCs on which the game can be installed is unlimited), but I don’t know if you can deactivate it; and I remember Acid fuming about FC2 installation limits, until Santa swooped in and saved the day.

Bioshock had its activation limit removed.

I just said screw it and deleted my boot drive. Afterwards I thought about Sims 3, Spore, and the EA download crap. I have a feeling I’ll have a not fun time with that.

I have no idea why nobody else seems to copy this feature. Limited activations are much more acceptable (to me, at least) if you get more activations periodically.

I was able to re-activate Offce 2007 just fine without having to deauthorize anything first.

Aha, my google fu is improving: Authorize or deauthorize your computer for Apple ID purchases - Apple Support You have to de-auth all the computers assigned to the account and can only do it once per year:

Despite the fact that I’ve only ever owned 2 computers since I got my first iPod (and subsequently started using iTunes), I have managed to use up all 5 of my iTunes authorizations. Installing Win7 64 on my existing system I guess is considered to be a new computer and ran out of authorization keys. Thanks god it’s fairly easy to de-authorize computers that don’t exist.

I have no idea why nobody else seems to copy this feature. Limited activations are much more acceptable (to me, at least) if you get more activations periodically.

I still find the whole thing of limiting what I can do with my purchase objectionable to begin with especially at 5. 100 or something if you’re going to pose arbitrary limits seems a lot fairer, especially as I’m in a similar situation to Squeaky of having used Itunes on 2 computers and having used up 4 of my auths.

I’m just happy to find that there is, actually a mechanism to deauth the computer that’s now sat under the stairs rather than being plugged in.

There’s your problem right there, you filthy fucking pirate.

You do NOT purchase software. You are paying for the limited and temporary privilege of running a software package and frankly you should be glad they even let you do that. Don’t go on about rights or purchases, you have no rights and no property in the realm of software.

I was talking about music really but if I’m not buying the music, only the right to listen to it, do I get a free download of the Beatles back catalogue as I’ve already purchased the right to listen to it at least twice (vinyl, casette and CD so far). Actually I’ll take the Mono release while I’m at it and we’ll call it even. Funnily enough it doesn’t seem to work that way either, but I digress, you’re right, how could I possibly confuse giving someone money in exchange for something with actually owning it in any meaningful sense.

Don’t make me summon cliffski to rant at you. I’m warning you. I’ll do it.

You don’t think I’m serious?

Fine.

COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT.

There, I hope you can live with what you made me do.

The proper way to summon cliffski is with a Pirate Bay press release.

Oops. My bad.