Debris - Fringy sci-fi on NBC

Watched the whole series last year and it really stuck out to me how completely different each season of Fringe was while still being tied together by the overall plot.

It’s been long enough since I watched S1 that I can’t speak to this list’s “correctness,” but I think you could follow the “arc plot” episode watch guide for S1 here and be alright, maybe with light Googling later on if something doesn’t make sense. I would watch more or less straight through from there, and don’t read beyond that point on the page, cuz it has some major spoilers.

Sucks about the IMDBtv thing. It shows up on Amazon Prime, but they only offer it as basically a vehicle for the IMDBtv thing and my Prime doesn’t buy me no ads :(

One issue with skipping season one is that the last “real” season is full of callbacks to it.

Yep random stuff in the first season comes into play in subsequent episodes.

So I’m still watching this, but the sheer number of music crescendos drives me insane. It’s like they’re shouting at me at every commercial break “CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?! IT’S SO WEIRD, RIGHT!?!?”

Yeah, I’m not really feeling it yet. Feels like a wannabe X-Files.

I’m still watching this, too, but I haven’t caught this week’s episode since I was out of town in a yurt.

It’s fine. But the thing is, most of the pieces effects boil down to magic. Why can this piece of metal just randomly clone people? Magic, basically. It really is just like the old Friday the 13th TV show from when I was a kid with a new coat of paint. It’s fine to put on in the background while I’m catching up on Qt3, for example, but it isn’t really good in any way.

Yeah, the Maguffin basically gives them license to do literally anything. Want a piece of debris that turns people into zebras? Sure, that works.

I’m intrigued by the meta story, but if it looks like they’re going to drag it out I don’t think I’ll be sticking with the show.

Yeah, its ok but not great. The macguffin they use is completely nonsensical in a scientific sense and as was mentioned earlier is much more a kin to magic, one that they can use to drive what ever morality tale we wish to tell. I’ll stick with it because I like these types of shows but I do hope it get better and more coherent because right now it seems like it is all over the place.

I would be so embarrassed if the part of my spaceship that made mind controlling humans possible fell off.

Also been watching this, and also getting a strong X-Files / Fringe vibe from it, though so far Debris is not nearly as good as either of those two shows. I think the main issue is that neither of the lead characters has much charisma. They both feel very wooden, kind of two-dimensional, and putting them at odds from the start really does not help the audience connect with either of them.

Then, as mentioned above, the pieces of the spaceship went from semi-plausible to simply ridiculous. Like I can see a large piece of the system responsible for putting the aliens into suspended animation during their travels having a similar effect on humans who come into contact with it, or pieces of the alien transporter system allowing humans to teleport across distances, but as the episodes progress you get a handful of tiny alien fragments that are somehow enough to control human minds or clone people or whatever the need is for the story that week. “Magic” is the perfect description.

I don’t see this getting picked up for a second season, it just doesn’t seem to have a hook for viewers.

Episode 8 goes some unexpected places.

Whoa episode 9.

Yeah that was some high quality sci-fi TV!

This show is getting better every episode.

Whoa there. I mean, technically that’s true. But it started from a pretty mediocre place, and it still isn’t great or anything. But with s8 staying to break away from the original setup, and s9 being legitimately pretty cool, it is looking up.

I agree, if you gave up early on I wouldn’t recommend coming back to it. If you managed to hang on this long, it has gotten decent.

The season ended with a whimper. I doubt I’ll come back to it if it comes back.

There were a couple really interesting episodes towards the end. If you’re curious, watch episodes 9 and 10.

You can turn that doubt into certainty!

Damn, just when John Noble showed up!