Decision lock! Nitwit trying to thin clothes herd

Now that I am doing laundry, the laundry room is finally empty for the first time in 15 years. I found clothes I’d received for Christmas years ago that had never met the light of day. My wife’s OCD was sadly so overwhelming I was not allowed to utilize the laundry room for fear I could mess up the Himalayan mountains of clothing piles. So now, one of the most indecisive people this planet has a mountain of clean clothes and nowhere to put them all. I must thin the herd.

Sooo, I have a major problem with, “but I might need it” syndrome, and it perfuses issues I’m having. My weight is down to what I was in early high school, which adds to the, “glad I kept this for 30 years so I could wear it again” feelings. But also makes it more difficult to throw normal weight clothes out because I’m not sure if I will gain it back again. The argument of “have you worn it in the last year” doesn’t really apply because most of these clothes weren’t even available in the last year. I read the tidy book by the Japanese lady and I found I could find a small piece of “joy” in anything. That bread crumb on the plate? Joy! Reminds me of the toast I ate that was delicious. Don’t throw it out!

I would love to hear your own suggestions and strategies for tackling this incredibly important issue. An issue so critical, the very survival of the human race hangs in the balance ;)

First, I would sort into winter clothes and summer clothes.

Then, separate each of those into shirt, pants, shorts, etc.

Then, look at each clothing type, and ask yourself “how many of that clothing piece do I need to be certain I always have a clean one to wear”. Keeping in mind your laundry habits, and how you feel about wearing the same piece over and over (you don’t go to work every day, I know, so I feel this will be easier than somebody who doesn’t want to wear the same shirt and pants every week, until your office mates start commenting on your “Monday cloths” vs. your “Tuesday clothes” etc.)

When you arrive at that number, separate each pile into keeps and goes. Probably keep about 20% more than you counted as needing. Consider quality of the piece, how worn it is, how comfortable it is, how much you like it.

Stack the “goes” pieces somewhere out of the way. Let them sit for a few weeks, or a few months, or an entire cycle. If you really didn’t need of them, then you can donate them to some local charity if of good quality, or turn them into rags or whatever.

Sidenote: my mother was a hoarder. Her sisters were hoarders. My grandmother’s spare bedroom floor literally collapsed into the crawl space from the weight of all of her hoarding. I am absolutely dedicated to keeping my life simple. I don’t even keep books any more except first-edition collectors or things not available in electronic form.

I have this weird thing where the more clothes I buy the more I end up doing laundry. Which doesn’t really make sense.

Some of that will be easy to implement as I already had separated my dressers and closets into those categories. I will probably not keep them for a while as I don’t want anything more hanging over my head, and I will most certainly donate everything that’s not falling apart.

Further to BennyProfane’s great advice, also sort into fit and don’t fit and get rid of all the don’t fit (unless it is something within one size of your current size and absolutely love it). Then sort out special occasion items - you don’t need 5 Christmas sweaters or multiple funeral suits etc. and only keep your most favourite for each occasion. Be ruthless, then set them out of sight for a while. If you don’t wake up in the middle of the night because you can’t stop thinking about one of the tossed items, toss the bag. Do not look in it again. You have to be ruthless!

To second Benny’s advice, I’ll emphasize the mantra of de-cluttering: when did you last wear it? If you can’t remember, ask yourself objectively if you think you would again. Try it on, does it still fit? If both are a yes, that’s the keeper pile. If both are a no, that’s the donation pile. The actual answer to the mantra is, “if over a year since you last wore it, consider it for donation.” That can be tricky for me, some things don’t get used every year but are needed: boots, some heavy coats, a dark suit (for multiple reasons,) etc.

I’ll also echo Benny’s thoughts on books and other things. Jeff, this is your chance to spring clean. And it’s not even spring yet!

As someone whose body (and self image) has changed shape several times… I’d also disagree with the “if it brings you joy” philosophy. Part of the problem for me is “maybe I’ll change shape again” and/or “maybe I’ll feel like this person again.”

I keep my top 5 or so favorite things in each category. And couple that with how easy it would be to buy more of the item if I change my mind. Dress phase: check; keep all. Thermal shirts: check. Pants that are too big: toss. Pants that are too small: toss. Shorts: def toss.

Good luck. If it helps, post pics.

I think the categories with reserves in 'em is a good strategy.

Me, I have solved this problem for myself a long time ago, I wear something one could almost call an uniform; black cargo pants, red shirt, plaid flannellumberjack if it’s cold. I have five of the pants and ten of the shirts, three of the lumberjacks (those don’t mind getting a bit dirty). If the pants wear down, and they last about three to five years with me, I get another of the exact same type.

Call it simpleminded, but it has served me well over the years.