Deep Rock Galactic (now out of early access!)

Oh, at this point I forgot about that. I guess Haz5 is also unlocked once you reach level x.

I thought the impressiveness of my beard was the identifier for veteran status.

Does this game feel complete without the $30~40 in day one DLC Steam is selling?

I’m looking for a laid back, semi-casual exploration/goal-oriented game to play co-op with my wife, but nothing too overwhelming for her. She can handle controlling first person characters in MMOs like WoW and Guild Wars 2, but probably not reflex shooters. I know this game has some shooting, but I don’t know where on the scale it fits between DOOM Eternal and Portal.

Yes, and the game should be perfect for your desires.

The “hazard levels” go from laid back take your time with it up to running for your life while out of ammo and you can choose which one you want freely.

Thanks. Imma buy a couple copies for us.

All the DLC is cosmetic. And this is a FPS. So yeah, it can be safely skipped.

The game is super easy in the first two difficulty levels, and there are five of them, so there should be one of them that is ideal for her skills.

Is there a way to select a female dwarf for my wife to play? If so I can’t find it. I got through the tutorial myself, and am on my ship, but I’m not seeing a way to customize yet so I don’t know if that opens later.

My wife will go through the tutorial tomorrow and we’ll be able to play together. I plan to spend most of my gaming time today playing the new expansion for Age of Wonders, but I also plan to play some Deep Rock Galactic with public groups and see how that goes. I hear pub groups are actually okay in this game.

I’m happy to have read that most upgrades in this game are actually side-grades, so hopefully I’ll never feel like I’m leaving my wife in the dust if I play alone.

I’ve never played Left 4 Dead and didn’t know anything about it, so I was expecting this to be some sort of co-op Minecraft/building game with shooting. Even though that’s not the case, I think the pacing of the combat I’ve seen so far should be right up her alley, and I look forward to trying the different classes and seeing which ones will work best for each of us. I’m really counting on this game to deliver the Overwhelming Positive experience so many reviews tout. I’m kinda desperate to find something we can play together again besides Hearthstone, something that will hold both our interests.

I don’t see any options for female avatars either, alas. Maybe the devs will put some in eventually.

Oh yea, I found out they aren’t there. It’s not as big of a deal since this isn’t a character or story-based MMO, I’ll just have to keep my wife from trying to flirt with me as a dwarf.

No one said dwarves are against same-sex relationships!

I’m not secure enough in my masculinity to marry a male dwarf.

Here is some inspiration for the next time you’re down in the shaft and I’m positive that @kerzain will chill with these guys.

Coffee Stain needs to get a license for this to add to the jukebox.

My wife just played through the tutorial, I will have to show this to her. She genuinely likes pirate/ale metal of all things, so she should be all over this.

As for her run with the game, she just finished the tutorial this morning. I had a blast watching her. This is her first shooter, and she kept blasting the shit out of the little C.H.U.D. unit or whatever it’s called because she thought it was monsters trying to get her from the corner of her eye… it also didn’t help when the first time she saw it during the gold-mining tutorial and she said, “What is that?!” And I replied with, “It takes your gold.” and she took that as a threat and unloaded on it.

I think I need to choose my words more carefully next time.

She got a little overwhelmed by the rush of spiders and started firing off her whole load of Ziplines at them in a panic (they show up after the zlipline tutorial and she didn’t know how to swap weapons/tools), but I managed to help her get the chain-gun re-equipped and even though it overheated for a bit she barely managed to squeak through alive. Then she finished the tutorial and now we’re about to eat. I’ll be trying some co-op with her either today or tomorrow.

Right now her biggest hurdle is unlearning EQ/WoW mouse controls and habits. They’re the only First-Person games she’s played in 20 years.

Have her try playing engineer. Shotgun and sentries are perfect for those with less precise aim.

Will do. Now that we’ve unlocked the other classes we’ll certainly give it a shot.

I would have actually suggested driller. Spray and pray with the flamethrower. No aim needed. And drilling is awesome.

In experimental branch:

3 x NEW SECONDARY OBJECTIVES ---------------------------- We’ve added three new Secondary Mission Objectives to spice things up a bit. GUNK SEEDS: Shoot the hanging slimesacks to release the precious Gunk Seeds within! EBONUTS: Destroy the tough outer shell and harvest the nuts inside! FESTER FLEAS: Pest control - take out these small annoying bugs before they start multiplying!

NEW ENEMY: KORLOK TYRANT-WEED ---------------------------- The Tyrant-Weed is a brand new encounter for you to…encounter in the caves. Take out the central Heart-Growth before it manages to seed the surrounding area with so many shooting sproutlings that it overwhelms you! When you have destroyed it remember to deposit the Tyrant Shards, which will reward you with a nice credit and XP Bonus at the Mission Complete screen.

BIOME UPDATES ---------------------------- Radioactive Exclusion Zone, Dense Biozone, Fungus Bogs have all gotten a bunch of new shapes added to them. Huge Mushrooms, Coral-like Growths, and more - go explore to discover it all!

Sounds like exactly the direction I want to go. Just add more awesome stuff.