Deep Rock Galactic (now out of early access!)

I have been on plenty of missions without scouts. The thing about scouts is really just more efficient resource collection and, light. Glorious light. But you can complete missions without those things (especially if you forego the secondary objective), and because of this I feel a bad scout is less noticeable than a bad driller who can’t hack drilling shortcut tunnels and the like. To the extraction pod for example. Refinery missions are even extra.

Like, the whole team can become dependent on the driller to drill a path in a lot of cases. This is unique amongst the classes. And it can be mission critical, unlike the scout collecting all the Apoca Blooms.

Oh yeah, I meant more that I’ve noticed its a problem when there’s a scout on the team theres a non-trivial chance he wont use his flare gun effectively. That said, I’m a really bad scout for the reason you listed. I’m great at staying on top of minerals, but I suck at finding secondaries, especially fossils.

Fossils are the worst.

I love playing the scout though. It’s my favorite class. The mobility is awesome and no place is out of reach, and with the shotgun jump overclock it is even more insane / safe. (can prevent fall damage)

I mainly use the bolt-action rifle in a point-shooter / sniper-like role in terms of combat. I try to pick off those bastard enemy health buffers from range and other annoying pests, but I am a search and gatherer first.

The people who play scout without lighting up a room and marking stuff and / or collecting it aren’t focusing on what the class is best at.

Weee I played a bit too much yesterday, I guess to compensate the last half year I didn’t play. I think I did 16 maps. I unlocked all the weapons and new mode.

Classes, I play them all almost equally, but if I had to do a ranking, it would be engineer > gunner / scout > driller.

Okay, having a bad scout on the team does suck sometimes. Especially if you become ammo poor. Holy crap that mission was a pain in the ass.

I was an Engineer except we almost never had enough resources to call for supplies because the scout was worthless and didn’t scout. I had to poke around in the dark using only flares to seek for nodes while he only followed us around and would die a lot. My turrets were out of ammo for the majority of the mission. At the end, we just left his body behind and on the post mission results screen he had over 100 kills but only 30 materials mined. Fail. (It was also on a map with extra large swarms so getting more kills was easier)

D:

Driller is the best class. I am so addicted to refinery missions, I can’t imagine not playing as the Driller.

Driller > Engie/Gunner > Scout

At least I don’t have to play as the driller if I play with you.

For me right now, Scout > Gunner > Engineer > Driller

This might just be the noob spec.

OH look, they are doing it pretty well

They did 15.5k players on 1.0 release, and now a year and half later, they have done 41.5k. The previous peak was just a free weekend, and it was lower.
The power of word of mouth.

If anyone deserves success it’s these devs. They’ve just done such a tremendous job from even the earliest days of early access.

Yeah I know. I wanted to highlight because it’s very rare.
95% of the mp games have a downward trajectory. Only 5% of them will have the luck and the ability to connect with players to more than double the original release numbers without no special hype or marketing campaign. That’s how it happened with other big games, like Rocket League or Warframe or Rust or Rainbow Six Siege.
Some ways it can happen is when a game changes business model (ie turning from paid to f2p) or being streamed by one of the top 3 streamers which in turn makes other big streamers copy him and suddenly in 48 hours your game has 50k simultaneous players. But here it has been all organic growth.

I finally tried the new mode. First solo and then with a group. Both at hazard level 3 which I think is the defacto “Normal”

So it is kind of a multi-stage boss fight in which you have to do two side events to bring down the shield. I noticed when I played with a group the boss has more tricks. (like spawning bombs randomly, which never happened during the solo match).
When I played it solo (first time) I had no idea how to damage the boss. It didn’t help I also was playing an engineer with the new smart rifle lock-on weapon. This is because neither your turret(s) or the smart rifle target the bosses weak points. I also did a side event and got an overclock. It was pathetically easy solo, which makes me wonder if I should just scout maps in solo mode to fill out blank cores.

There is also a hacking mini-game with the drones after you damage them, turning them to your side.

The new mission is cool, the boss fight is very involved. But right now is overtuned in difficulty, in Haz3 it feels as if you were playing Haz4, and in Haz4 it seems you are in Haz5.

I felt that way about the damn Audrey II miniboss when they first added it.

Heh.

Yes, it’s the hardest random event in the game. It’s fairly rare, I believe that’s why they left it as it is. Still, the new mission is even harder than that.

An Update
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/548430/view/3074263883164607311
Mostly bug fixes, but some highlights:

• Patrol bot numbers now scale based on hazards as well
  • Slightly adjusted xp to performance point conversion to increase reward for longer and more difficult missions
  • Changed Hurricane Micro missile launcher missiles to use Client prediction for determining what it hits.This should make damage more reliable for clients with higher latency.
  • Only the first shot of the micro missile launcher buck shot was being predicted
  • Dying on the vault will leave your body inside the extruded vault when it opens up. Reviving is possible but you will still be stuck inside.
  • Cargo Crate Batteries should no longer spawn inside the caretaker
  • Reduced the harassing drone wave enemy count that comes while you connect the hacking pods to the power stations to reduce the time/ammo sink
  • Tweaked some timings on the phase bomb and repulsion fields attacks on the caretaker
  • Sniper turrets no longer gets invulnerable while hiding
  • Caretaker kills all enemies quickly as soon as it dies to prevent players getting killed right after the fight
  • Added more caretaker scaling based on player numbers to make solo fights a little easier
  • Rival Tech projectiles now scale based on hazard level with haz 4 having the same velocity as before
  • Added more timer scaling based on hazard to make the fight easier on haz 1 and 2
  • Added hazard scaling to tentacle cooldowns and the electrocution attack
  • Doubled the distance at which a tether can connect to the Data Deposit.

Praise Karl!

I wonder about this, I don’t know if it means more or less bots in Haz 4. Or the same.

Maybe.

When I did the mission with a group we actually ended up splitting the party which was insane/kind of stupid. We two-manned each hack site, without issue. And went on to beat the boss also.

I only ever got incapped by fall damage. I thought I could negate it by falling on Molly. I was proven wrong. The second and only other time was during the escape I pressed the wrong button on my own zipline. I meant to slide down it fast. Instead I released from it and fell to my death from great height.

Simply incredible.

Maybe it’s the last update, maybe it is because I have a better idea of how it works now, maybe it’s both (or maybe it’s dumb luck) but I had an easier time today in finishing a Haz4 4 player pub Industrial Sabotage mission.

Guess the developers are doing ok.