Deep Rock Galactic (now out of early access!)

ohhhh man , its gonna get cold and erm poisonous!

God, they just keep making this BETTER. Like, it’s already SO GOOD and they just keep improving it. Wow.

LIMITED SEASONAL VANITY
To really celebrate Oktoberfest, you can buy the OKTOBERFEST FEDORA for 1200 credits from the Vanity Shop. The Fedora is on sale for a limited time only, so get it quickly!

1200 credits is about what you earn , running 1 in game mission.

Anyone up for it tonight?

Halloween-ween!

Roadmap revision 2:

Update 19, pew pew pew!

Map of the road:

Anyone want to play tonight? Diggy Diggy block? :)

YUSSS BETTER BOSCO! GLORY TO THE SINGLE PLAYER!!

147 votes and 21 comments so far on Reddit

Thanks, it was interesting, but seemed more of a Unreal engine advert ;-) - which isn’t such a bad thing, but I would like to believe there were a lot of other things that made them successful other than the game engine

New update:

1 year celebration and update 22!

I’m trying this game thanks to the Steam’s free weekend, and hey, it’s pretty good! The mix of cooperation, exploration, mining and combat is pretty unique.
The graphics are charming and has some beautiful moments, the combat while not being as good as a pure FPS, it’s good enough (killing bugs with the shotgun or the minigun feels good), there are several biomes with their own gameplay implications, several mission types with mutators to increase variety, and a permanent upgrade system with cosmetics too.

Ok, I ended looking into the wiki. Lol, this game is twice the game Anthem is, and it’s still in (real) Early Access.

New roadmap, btw

FYI the price is going up at the end of March. I think to $30.

Oh yes, I bought it already. 17€ vs 28€ later, so it was an easy choice. 17€ was cheap enough for impulse buy.

The game is a mix of mining in procedural levels ala Minecraft, and coop against a horde of aliens with 4 players, in the vein of L4D, Vermintide and others. I will list what I think are the important features:

-100% destructible terrain. You can see the destruction is much more granular and of finer detail than any Minecraft clone, in fact a hit of your pickaxe destroy a bigger volume just for gameplay reasons.
-Random procedural missions. Every 30 minutes a new set of missions are generated on the server. Each mission varies in: biome (8 to choose from), mission type (5 types), length, complexity and mutators (special variations, like extra gold or extra enemy fliers for the mission). Apart from the level itself being procedurally generated, of course. In addition, you choose the between five levels of difficulty, ranging from the super chill out, more about relaxing while mining, to the try-hard, for veteran players and much more intense. The difficulty levels are also properly scale up in a gradient, there is no big gaps between medium and hard, for example.
I also consider interesting you can see what level of length and complexity the map have, that’s a nice detail, sometimes you want something epic, sometimes you want something more on the short side.
-I will add there is a proper difficulty scaling system depending on number of players, the game feels fair with one to four players.
-In fact, if you play alone, you get Bosco, a flying drone you can use and command, helping you mine or even reviving you, with its own mods to buy.
-Social area: you can drink, dance, talk, or play a minigame with your fellow dwarves. Sometimes they sell more expensive drinks in the bar that offer a buff in the next mission.
-Eight types of biomes, which is already twice of what I expected. Each biome, apart of having a unique look, it has unique gameplay effects like heat management in the artic one, earthquakes, radiation in the radioactive wastes, poisonous ground, slippery ice, dangerous flora, etc.
-4 different dwarf classes, each with unique weapons and toolset. In the tools, there are ziplines, flare guns, grappling hooks, mechanical drill, platform launchers, and they provide the teamwork needed to go to hard to reach areas, for example.
-Mining game: not only you have to mine for several objectives, you also mine for gold (extra money), things like ammo and health are also obtained the same way, there is a red rock called red sugar that refill your health directly and another one called nitrite that you can spend in-mission to call for an ammo replenishment pod.
-Enemy variety. There are 20 different enemies. While most are variations of the same idea (spider/alien bug thingie, or flying insect thingie), in total there is enough variety: There are ones that jump at you, others that explode when they die (except if you headshot them), others have armor part that can be removed, others have weak points in specific locations, others fly around, other throw spiderwebs that impede your vision and slow you. One flier can grab you and throw you around after a undesired trip :(. There are immobile broods that spawn enemies, cave leechs that grab you like the famous Half Life barnacle, and others throw projectiles can that can be shot down.
-Fully featured server browser, with quick join, hosting public or private games, password option, or solo mode.
-Very good performance. It’s nice to play a game at 150 fps :P.

There is a full progression system:
-You have a series of milestones to complete, they give you perks, and there are different tiers of perks.
-As you gain xp, you both increase your account rank (that is a requisite to unlock some things) and your class level individually.
-There is an assignment system that consist of a series of missions, once completed, you receive an extra reward and unlock some part of the game (like the highest difficulty or the trade market, or alternative weapons). Basically it serves to gate stuff and offer a more streamlined experience to new players, and some intermediate objectives to have.
-There is weekly assignments too like in other similar games.
-Weapons and items have mods to unlock and buy. This is in fact the real way to gain a bit more of power, in comparison with the starting players. As you unlock them, you gain mastery on the weapons, unlocking new skins, in the case of armor, you unlock small hp bonuses.
-Unlocking stuff needs crafting materials, apart from money. You get crafting materials from completing missions, but also inside the missions themselves, you can find a rare resource and mine it.
-Apart from perks, weapons and mods, there is the cosmetic character customization. There are hats, hair (and beard!) styles and colors, armors, etc.
-Finally, there is a character promotion (you reset that class to level 1, like prestige in Cod) and you get a extra perk slot for that class, in exchange.

The only complaint I have right now is the server browser, that sometimes it doesn’t work? others times I refresh and the games appear in seconds. Maybe it’s thing with my router.

You can solo in this game?