Defrag Xbox 360 drive?

The only thing I find when I do a search on defragging the 360 drive is steps to clear the cache. That, obviously, is not defragging the drive.

Is there a way to do an actual defrag on the drive?

The Xbox itself doesn’t have an option to do so.

The Slim models have a detachable harddrive with the SATA slots exposed so you can simply hook it up to your computer. I have no idea about the old Xbox

Why do you want to? What makes you think you have a fragmentation problem?

The nice thing is that unlike Playstation, which keeps thousands of tiny little files, Xbox keeps things in nice big files, so that leads to less need for defragmentation later. Though I do wish there was an easy way of doing it, just for peace of mind. On my 120 GB drive it does take about 20 seconds to access my games list now. Maybe defragmentation could cut that down to an amount of time closer to when I first got the drive?

Just as Rock8man seems to have noticed with is system, it appears some access has become slower over time. Little things that could be symptoms of a fragged up HD.

Clearing the cache is the closest you’re going to get.

Delete everything, Reformat. Re-download.

Ugh.

For anyone who has inside knowledge on console hardware design - why is there no defrag option for the hard drives (or a built in defragging routine?)

I speculate that the slowness is not a disk problem, but a “network” problem. It feels like the 360 is contacting home to download bigger banners for each and every game, and shows you the games list only after it’s done downloading.

Hard drives inherently need to be defragged, me I do my PC every 3-6 months. Looking up the 360 now cuz I’ve realized it’s slopping through the mud.