Defying Gravity: How is there no thread?

So, I was going to give a heads up about this and then realized 1 and 1/2 hours of it is already over and I did not record it. Damn, I was really curious. The cast seemed good enough.

Was there early word that it was going to suck or something?’

Well, it could be that no one has heard of it.

Ron Livingston + THe year 2052 + outer space + ABC

EDIT: Middling reviews courtesy of Metacritic

Maybe you saw different commercials for it than I did, but the ones I saw seemed to suggest the show was about people going into space for two missions:

1. To fuck.
  2. To try and fix something on their lame ship before they all die and can no longer fuck.

Yeah, I saw those. But then they tempted me with “The Great Unknown” about something or other that was a big Boogie Man and how they were getting into something they didn’t sign up for or some such shit.

I think I was hoping for something decent to watch during the Summer and ignoring the warning signs that predict the sucking.

It didn’t suck entirely, and there was kinda an element of a mystery boogie man thingy floating in the background. It does seem that they were on the maiden voyage of the Club Med singles space cruise though.

How did ABC ever stumble around and let Lost get on the air? It seems pretty anti-formula.

Oh this:

Executive producers James Parriott (“Grey’s Anatomy”) and Michael Edelstein (“Desperate Housewives”) are marketing this new series as “‘Grey’s Anatomy’ in space.”

Ugh. Lost must have succeeded in spite of ABC efforts to churn out shit.

Season one of Lost was a pretty straightforward high concept:
Pretty people trapped on an island must unravel its secrets in order to escape.
It was basically a fictional version of Survivor.

I just think they didn’t know what they were buying into.

I think they knew, the smoke monster and the polar bears provided a clue.

Defying Gravity has been flying pretty low under the radar. I suspect that there are some very good reasons for that. First off, the broadcast networks tend not to air blockbuster super high quality television in August. Second, it’s pitched as Gray’s Anatomy in space.

Now, I’m all for watching mostly naked hot people rub up against one another suggestively, but if some chick ends up screwing a ghost in the first episode or two, I’m out. I put it in the queue for recording, because, hell, I watched all of Knight Rider, but I don’t have great expectations for this series. The only bright points I see are the “mysterious funding” angle and the idea that there might, maybe, be some kind of overarching thread to carry through. My expectation, however, is for the stupid that permeates the series to cause burning so severe I cannot finish even a single episode.

I would love to be proven wrong, though, if only because it sounds sort of like Virtuality crossed with some sort of flying Benetton ad, and Virtuality left me with big blue space balls.

That was my feeling…a desperate hopefulness. Fringe, for me, has been sort of a poor man’s X-file’s with much more dumb in it than I would prefer, but the backstory is interesting enough for me to stick around.

Am I remembering things through rose-colored glasses or was X-Files AND Millenium more smartly written? And secondly, should I not bring this up in the Fringe thread where it is most likely already covered?

That was my feeling…a desperate hopefulness. Fringe, for me, has been sort of a poor man’s X-file’s with much more dumb in it than I would prefer, but the backstory is interesting enough for me to stick around.

Am I remembering things through rose-colored glasses or was X-Files AND Millenium more smartly written? And secondly, should I not bring this up in the Fringe thread where it is most likely already covered?

There was a tremendous amount of stupid writing in X-Files, trust me.

Flipped this on randomly last night; I’d never heard of it but when I saw a badly aging Ron Livingston hop in a rocket at a moment’s notice I had to check it out. Just how far into the future does this take place if NASA (or whatever NASA becomes in the future) can launch rockets at will? It didn’t appear to be that futuristic.

It’s 2052 I believe. There’s a pretty robust earth-to-orbit infrastructure and there’s been a manned mission to Mars already. However, they’re not exactly launching rockets at will. The two guys they sent up were designated replacements, heading up to the mission launch window, so there was already a rocket prepped for just such a circumstance.

Ah, I missed all that background, as well as the naked people. Thx.

Yeah, I was much younger and my threshhold for tolerating stupid was much higher. Also, I am sooooo much smarter now.

Both of them were wild rides up and down the quality slope. The second season of Millennium was consistently above average, but it didn’t make any pretense of being about science at all. The X-Files was…well, basically it was a week to week wager from what I remember. I finally got chased out right before, like, the last season, but it seemed to mix its good and bad weeks with reckless abandon near the end.

Watched it…still hoping that it will improve. I did like the fact that cargo container 4 actually is on the ship…(avoiding spoilers).

Besides all the silly things wrong with it, can someone explain why the tether on Georgia was 700 frigging feet long when she shot out of the airlock?

Caught the pilot episode on Hulu. Very much a mass market formula show, but I’ll probably watch both it and Warehouse 13 for lack of anything else. The whole aliens/god bit could be interesting, although I’m sure the resolution will be underwhelming. Also, Laura Harris (Dead Like Me) is a hottie. The thing that I really find annoying is the soundtrack; the music is just … too much.

The nice thing about watching these shows streaming is the ability to open another tab and read the NYT, or whatever, during the slow parts.

Ahh, was not on Hulu whaen I checked last night…but then I think the pilot was still on.

Thought this was okay, some odd things seem like inconsistencies and I have to watch in awe just how fast they managed to get to the babies, abortions, and do you like him like him parts of the show. Wow…

Otherwise, not sure. Will kept it tivo’d just because the summer is slow. I like this a little more than Virtuality, but I didn’t really like Virtuality.