Deity Empires

So I just lost nearly an hour to this without even realizing it. FAR MORE Master of Magic (which I do grok) than Dominions (which I don’t) so far. Tons of starting options, deity and race choices, the in-game manual isn’t perfect, but it’s better than nothing, as there’s no tutorial at. All. But so far? I am loving moving units around the map, building and researching stuff, watching auto battles and so on.

I’ll definitely play more soon – got stuff for the blog to get into – but so far, very positive impressions all around.

A friend of mine had bought it, but gave up quickly upon it because of the lack of documentation, and especially about how the mechanics were really working. He is a wargamer, so it irked him to no end.
I like to “surf” those kind of games (that’s what I loved about Master of Magic), without trying to understand them too much, so it looks as intriguing to me as it looked repelling to him.
Either Tom’s writing the manual, or Tom’s gonna snark at it for an hour on stream some day, I guess.

Yeah, this TOTALLY isn’t a wargame. It’s definitely a 4X game that happens to have tactical battles. Again, VERY MoM.

Interesting. Sadly, recent indie MoM games haven’t had a winning record, and those main stream games that are winners don’t try to follow the formula to closely. I wonder if MoM is a fluke or just a game of it’s time.

I will keep an eye on it. Having you like it gives me hope.

Is work still continue on the game or is it finished?

Not giving a damn about balance is always a step in the right direction, in my opinion!

I think that might be it. Finding awesome combos rocked.

But it’s a two edged sword. A lack of balance limits what you can select, because you are forced into a few better options.

You see it in Dominions, where Monster Pretenders serious overpower Titans, and in Blood Bowl, where Halflinh just aren’t competitive.

Better balance means more options.

One reason I felt okay purchasing this is because the devs are active on the Steam forums and indicate more work in the game is coming.

Hell yes, one reason MoM is still so amazing is because of how unbalanced it can get.

Thanks for this thread, I never even knew this game existed and it looks great. While I’d likely take a flier on it for $20, I think $35 is a bit steep for that. Another game that does itself no favors with its pricing. I’ve wishlisted it and I’ll wait and see how it turns out.

Ditto

$35! Now that’s a price that justifies an instant purchase wishlist from me!

I certainly can’t disabuse of the notion of holding off. I think this game has a lot of potential, but is going to need a fair amount of work to reach it.

Well, he is now on part #23 so there may be truth in what you say. ;>

Are you still playing it?

I plan to…but I got a new PC a few days ago, so right now all I can play are games with SUPER GRAPHICAL EVERYTHING because of the shiny newness.

But I will get back to this soon.

I’ve got an itch to play this game. I’ve trying to convince myself right now that it might be worth $35. I hope someone will post some impressions here so I can get a better feel for what it is and isn’t.

I watched only the stream and listened to what my friend had to say, but it seems really micromanagey. An expanded version of Master of Magic seems a very appropriate description, as BrianRubin stated.
To me, it looks way beyond my micromanaging scope.

I’ve been keeping my eye on Wizards & Warlords, which seems to scratch the same itch. On the one hand, it’s been in Early Access for the last 37 years. On the other, it’s less than half the price.

Okay, another game to watch.

@Sonoftgb, does Wizards & Warlords have tactical combat like Deity Empires does? The features list doesn’t say anything about the combat.

I got W&W too, and so far, no tactical combat.

I watched a bunch of those DasTactics vids and the tactical combat is really nice in Deity Empires. At this point I know I’m going to get this, it’s just a matter of when.