Deity Empires

Now that yesterday has passed I have some time to fool around again.

And I bought this game and am ready to dive down into the nerdyman 4X rabbit hole with glee.

My first impression is that it is to Master of Magic what Xenonauts was to the original XCOM. What DM lacks in charm I hope it makes up for in immersion, depth and a competent AI.

I did get the Caster of Magic mod for Master of Magic and flirted with it a bit but Thomas Wolfe was right.

Yeah, me too. I didn’t like it. I look forward to your impressions of DE.

I will post some thoughts this weekend.

It seems pretty rough but it has that “one more turn” jam going on and it could become something sweet.

Did you get a chance to play this any over the weekend? Any more thoughts on it?

I watched several of the DasTactics videos and then picked this up last week. Many of the concepts are not 100% clear, yet its has it’s hooks in me with the “one more turn” force being strong. I also now find myself thinking about it when not playing, which is a sure sign that I will continue to return to it. Dev seems engaged and wants to keep making improvements. So far, despite the cost, I find myself pleased with the purchase.

I definitely plan to pick this up. Totally missed this. I have to wait for our starting up Dominions 5 game, but I want to give this a shot soon.

I feel the same way. I don’t get all of it, but I’m enjoying myself regardless.

Das’s final video of the series, in the final minute, sums up how he feels about it.

Well that sounds promising. I’m still going to wait for a sale.

I did play some.

I would agree mostly with @El_Conquistador and @BrianRubin. The game has promise, but for me at this point in time, I won’t be playing it much for now.

It feels like it should still be in Early Access. It is fun, and seems much more like Master of Magic, minus the charming graphics, than Dominions. Like Dominions you choose a Deity, unlike Dominions the Deity seems more like an empty vessel that you then assign attributes and spell books to. Some deities are worshiped by some races and not by others.

For instance, if you pick the deity Dianic, only the Highmen, Elves and Mountain Dwarves can worship her. The other Deity that those races worship is Everlong, and she seems exactly like Dianic. You can customize them both, but it seems odd to me.

A big departure from MoM is that there are no hero units. Instead you can make a subset of your units into core units. As your units slay other units their souls are consumed and eventually you get a soul gem, or something like that, that you can give a unit. Core units can be resurrected and eventually gain abilities and become heroic. So heroes emerge, sort of.

I don’t regret buying it now, and the price doesn’t bother me. I can easily spend $35 on a new book or taking my family to a movie and I think that I will get many hours of enjoyment from the game.

But I think at its current state I would recommend waiting on buying this as I see the developer(s) are working steadily at filling in the information gaps. There is a lot that I either don’t understand or that isn’t presented very well (there are tool tips, but not enough and an in-game wiki that is incomplete). Like how resources and trade goods work, which are pretty important. The answers are out there but I have to hunt for them in forums and watching Dastactic Youtubes.

Essentially I don’t want to have to work so hard at this time to figure out game mechanics that should be more obviously presented. So I think that I will set it aside and wait for the developer to complete it to a state where I can enjoy it more.

Hope this helps.

If you’re curious about how something works, an ingame encyclopedia has a comprehensive list of topics. Oh, look, most of them consist of two words: “coming soon”.

At least they did a week or so ago when I tried playing. Have any of them arrived yet?

-Tom

Nope.

Picked this one up. Very deep, very steep learning curve. It’s kind of what Master of Magic 6 would look like, if they had just added depth without paying the slightest attention to graphics.

Lots of features are, indeed, “coming soon” but, in addition to that, some crucial encyclopedia entries are Greek to me. (Although to be fair, some of them are very well explained with concrete examples.)

I have no idea whether this will ever get to polished, but the game has infinite promise – for those who like DEEP turn based games. From what I have seen, every single game system is much more complicated than it appears at first glance.

[quote=“Sonoftgb, post:36, topic:137834”]
I’ve been keeping my eye on Wizards & Warlords, which seems to scratch the same itch. On the one hand, it’s been in Early Access for the last 37 years.
[/quote] Anyone have further info on this one? Looking around, but I am not finding much.

If you’re referring to Wizards & Warlords I grabbed it myself this morning. I’ve only played a couple of turns but I can see this is a deep dive. I wish the tutorial didn’t just stop in the middle, however.

Yes, that what I was referring to, and I’d be really interested in further info on it.

I found that super duper jarring. So much so I stopped playing entirely.

As for Deity Empires, I think it needs more time in the oven, but the devs are continuing to work on it, so I have hope.

Just to give one example of Deity Empire’s depth, food harvest, which is crucial for city growth, with is crucial for everything:

Oh, and different races get different bonuses from different kinds of terrain. :)

Where is that from? Not from the in-game encyclopedia.

Given that it’s still EA, and it says something like “tp be continued” I was willing to cut them some slack.

It’s not marked EA anywhere, which confuses the hell out of me.