Delay indicted

Yahoo!

Indicted isn’t convicted but it’s a good start. One down…

Skeevy bastards.

Prepare pundit cannons!

Ignite the blogospheres!

Release the FoxNewsHounds!

Turbines to full power, and begin mega spin in

1…

Well, according to the article, it’s already started:

Let the blind defense begin…

“Congressman DeLay is a good ally, a leader who we have worked closely with to get things done for the American people,” McClellan said. “I think the president’s view is that we need to let the legal process work.”

And of course, he didn’t actually do anything wrong, it’s those evil Democrats!

“This indictment is nothing more than prosecutorial retribution by a partisan Democrat,” Madden said, citing prosecutor Ronnie Earle, a Democrat.

Madden later added: “They could not get Tom DeLay at the polls. They could not get Mr. DeLay on the House floor. Now they’re trying to get him into the courtroom. This is not going to detract from the Republican agenda.”

Media Matters on Ronnie Earle, the “partisan Democrat” who brought the indictment: he’s gone after 15 politicians on his watch. 11 were Democrats. Dog…not…hunting.

Look, Triggercut… a great man and the very American way of life are under attack here. We ain’t got time for hard numbers and facts, so clear the damn way so we can get back to what really matters!!!

Dammit!!

How long do we have to wait before we can nominate DeLay for a Hall of Fame or sainthood?

Go!

Hope they nail him to the wall. Between this and the giant squid, it has been a good morning.

Cant abramoff just have earle killed?

How long before we start naming streets/buildings here in DC after Delay?

I think its sick how the liberal democrats are using these Indictments to attack a congressman. That is traitorous.

I gotta say that I’m surprised.

They’re going to replace him with Blunt, too, by the looks of it – someone who apparently has an even worse reputation (but no indictment!)

Isn’t this how the British conservatives collapsed about a decade ago? A lurch to the right followed by a cavalcade of corruption and sleaze scandals?

There are parallels, but the Conservatives also faced a united and confident opposition party with a young, charismatic leader.

I’m not seeing that in the Democrats, alas.

You know, I hate to be a party pooper, and I’m probably wrong, but go read the indictment (must be available online, someone showed me a printed copy .) It really is pretty weak, especially for 3 years of digging. I’m wondering if this isn’t going to be a big dissapointment for the Democrats when it plays out.

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/012530.html
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/images/09/28/delay.indictment.pdf

Violated elections code, felony.

Yeah, but I’ve been hearing things like “Money Laundering” (on CNN) and other big statements that made me think they had him on some major criminal activity. Read the indictment, and it names the other folks as committing the crimes, and the only thing Delay is accused of is knowing about it. After three years of going after Delay, and numerous grand juries rejecting his previous attempts, I’m wondering if Earle isn’t about as effective as the prosecutors on the Michael jackson case if this is all he ended up with.

Like I said, I’m probably wrong here but it just doesn’t read as powerful an indictment as what I expected from the press. Maybe more will be presented if it gets to court.

Or he’ll whine that the judge is being mean to him, refuse to present any evidence, and the case will be dismissed.

Seems like the only thing Earl has shown is that DeLay is a careful sleazeball.

Well, if he’s including Delay, he has to have some evidence he knew about it. And by “he knew about it,” considering that it’s an open secret that Delay is one of the more corrupt ones in Washington, you probalby should read “he was involved in planning it.”

It looks like “money laundering” means any way to illegally route money, not that the money has to itself be illegally earned in the first place. They indicted his PAC on money laundering charges.

The thing about an indictment is they rarely have alot of information substantiating or documenting the charges. That’s simply not what they’re for. Going through legal documents is part of what I do for a living and I’ve seen plenty of these. You’ll really want to hold off and see the briefs and the documents they cite in the record. That’s where the meat will be. I do recall a Texan reporter on CNN last night mentioning that a judge has convicted the two coconspirators already for these very charges in an unrelated civil case and they’re in the process of an appeal challenging the constitutionality of Texas election/fundraising laws.

The real question, seems to me, is how directly can he place DeLay’s fingerprints on this operation and how well documented the transfers of money are. Pity Earle’s not a Fed because I’d love to see a RICO prosecution move forward on this whole business. It really does stink to high heaven.

If Delay is so corrupt and so openly corrupt, why is this such a weak indictment? The guy’s been after him for three years and this is all he can come up with?

Money laundering is a specific crime - we had a local here who was just indicted for money laundering and that’s what it says in the indictment.

I’m not saying Delay is an innocent (although I haven’t seen a lot that says to me that he’s all that worse than most in Washington) but that this is a pretty damned weak indictment for so much digging and effort.